• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I am fairly certain the truck goes up for sale soon. Be nice to have that nest egg for another couple years of racing. I’m not doing anything with it and it’s just sitting. It’s too good to just sit.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    In all reality I am going to try a set of valve seals on the passenger head to see if that curbs the smoking. It'll be a much easier sell at the price point if it doesn't smoke.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I don't know what it is with me and pulling V8 engines out of cars. Engine is out of the Vert. I attempted to pull the engine before the transmission. Idk if that's a no-no for manual transmission cars, or if I borked it.

But when I bork it, I bork it good.

I'll let you guys try to figure out what happened and how I corrected. And I'll post the answer below the pix.20220617_205930.jpgSnapchat-2116884052.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    How I fixed it:
    I know that the input shaft rotates to a crescent moon position and then pops out.
    I was able to get it far enough out to pop the bearing retainer off, and then spin the entire transmission under the car until it hit that crescent moon and the trans popped free of the input shaft.

And here I was, thinking I was all slick buying an output shaft plug so I didn't spill a ton of fluid on the ground. Ended up draining the entire friggin thing anyway.

I'm gonna use a 3 jaw puller to see what's up with that pilot bearing, but man it's on there good. No joke, I had a 1" pipe in between the trans and the bellhousing, with a jack handle on the end. I bent the pipe trying to pry the trans out. Absolutely nuts.

Guess I'm gonna get a new clutch, too. Which is probably needed, just for the new power I'm gonna have. Not too sore about that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know what it is with me and pulling V8 engines out of cars. Engine is out of the Vert. I attempted to pull the engine before the transmission. Idk if that's a no-no for manual transmission cars, or if I borked it.

But when I bork it, I bork it good.

I'll let you guys try to figure out what happened and how I corrected. And I'll post the answer below the pix.
    I'm not sure how old you are, but have you ever considered being a Fireman? Asking because they are good at tearing stuff up. Lol
    Starting to think you could tear up a steel ball in a sandbox or wear out an anvil with a rubber mallet.

So the pilot bearing was seized onto the input shaft? I bet that created quite the mess, that sucks

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I always pull them as a unit unless there is a serious reason not to do fo.
    Always.
    My serious reason is that my hoist is a chain unit that is held up by a large steel beam in my attic. I trust it with the engine, not so sure about throwing a ton of extra weight on it. Definitely don't wanna test it too much.

My guess is that when I initially tried to pull the engine, I got the thing at too much of an angle from the transmission and it locked that solid bushing onto the input shaft. I can't believe that it wouldn't let go, though. Blows me away. Gonna take a non-angry look at it later and see what I can see.

Top Bottom