• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The black art of carb tuning eludes many younger folks.
    The attitude that “It’s running fine” overcomes the urge to tinker.
    I discovered long ago that you may not find HP beyond a few tuning in the car but drive ability goes up as you get them right.
    Had a kid living next door one time that had a very newish late '70's Trans Am, it was the one with the Darth Vader snout. Came with the 403 BOP motor that he promptly pulled and had built which on paper should have been very potent but had substandard performance. He'd allowed his engine builder to put one of the then new Edelbrock spreadbore carbs on it and one day he came over and asked me to tune up. I told him that I didn't know how to tune an edelbrock but if he'd put a 780 Holley on it I could help him.

A couple of days later he shows up at my door with a Summit box containing a brand new 780 Holley. I set about doing a few tweaks to it and in short order that thing became a monster with said kid smiling into the sunset in a cloud of tire smoke. A couple of days later I saw him driving some non descript econobox, when I asked him what he was doing in the ****box and he said his dad had taken it away from him because it was too fast.

His dad stopped by a few days after that and he was slobbering over how much better the car ran and it only took a carb change. I corrected him and told him it only required a carb tuning, somebody with edelbrock experience could have probably made it just as much a screamer but I didn't have any edelbrock parts or knowledge.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had a kid living next door one time that had a very newish late '70's Trans Am, it was the one with the Darth Vader snout. Came with the 403 BOP motor that he promptly pulled and had built which on paper should have been very potent but had substandard performance. He'd allowed his engine builder to put one of the then new Edelbrock spreadbore carbs on it and one day he came over and asked me to tune up. I told him that I didn't know how to tune an edelbrock but if he'd put a 780 Holley on it I could help him.

A couple of days later he shows up at my door with a Summit box containing a brand new 780 Holley. I set about doing a few tweaks to it and in short order that thing became a monster with said kid smiling into the sunset in a cloud of tire smoke. A couple of days later I saw him driving some non descript econobox, when I asked him what he was doing in the shitbox and he said his dad had taken it away from him because it was too fast.

His dad stopped by a few days after that and he was slobbering over how much better the car ran and it only took a carb change. I corrected him and told him it only required a carb tuning, somebody with edelbrock experience could have probably made it just as much a screamer but I didn't have any edelbrock parts or knowledge.
    The edelbrock is a clone of the old Carter AFB/AVS design. My Hemi had Carters on it when I bought the engine used. I struggled with them after the cam swap and long tube fender well headers were installed. It was actually slower. So I had my Dyno guy (Chet Hastings) Tune them.
    He told me the same thing you told the kid. Holley’s were just easier to deal with.
    So I sold a 350 HP 327 I was saving for a project not yet started so I could buy (2) 650 mechanical secondary Carbs and the latest greatest Hemi manifold from Edelbrock and it took all that money and I had to by the linkage out of pocket.
    Holy Mother if God that was a huge improvement and I could tune it.
    But my buddy’s LS6 454 Nova could still beat me by a fender. Every time we raced.
    Damned Chevy’s.
    :lmfao:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A couple of days later he shows up at my door with a Summit box containing a brand new 780 Holley. I set about doing a few tweaks to it and in short order that thing became a monster with said kid smiling into the sunset in a cloud of tire smoke. A couple of days later I saw him driving some non descript econobox, when I asked him what he was doing in the shitbox and he said his dad had taken it away from him because it was too fast.

About those turd 403’s.
    My 78 TA had one. Horrible out of the box. Horrible.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Took the convert out to balance the brakes f/r and HOLY :poop: does taht thing stop now!!!???? And that's on the cheap pads I threw on it just to get it rolling. I called my muffler shop of choice and told them what I wanted to do and he told me he had done a couple and he couldn't bend 2 1/2" pipe in the configuration I needed but 2 1/4" would be fine. I told him fine and that I'd swing by so he could look at it. After hanging up I went tot he summit web site and order the 2 1/2" mandrel bent Flowmaster kit and now await it's delivery. When you tell me it can't be done without even looking at it well. . . . . . . have a nice day.

Top Bottom