• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    More light for the situation. Pulled the bushing off. You're right, that "correct" input shaft I bought was definitely wrong. I'm actually amazed it worked at all. The transmission shouldn't have gone in.... Very confused there
    It looks like the shaft went too far in bore a hole in the bushing, and that process caused the ID of the bushing to have a ring that was catching on the shaft.
    I didn't take a video, but I was able to actually spin the bushing on the shaft, so it wasn't seized directly to the shaft.

Last pic is a comparison of the two shafts I have. While there is a clear length difference between them, I figured it wouldn't have even gone in if it was wrong...
    I'm gonna take measurements later, because I remember measuring them last year and getting some really weird answers compared to what the internet said they should be.20220618_103003.jpg20220618_103006.jpg20220618_103024.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My serious reason is that my hoist is a chain unit that is held up by a large steel beam in my attic. I trust it with the engine, not so sure about throwing a ton of extra weight on it. Definitely don't wanna test it too much.

My guess is that when I initially tried to pull the engine, I got the thing at too much of an angle from the transmission and it locked that solid bushing onto the input shaft. I can't believe that it wouldn't let go, though. Blows me away. Gonna take a non-angry look at it later and see what I can see.
    I get that. I used to be set up very similarly. And I learned that having a tip tool attached to the engine made life so much easier.
    Here is a thought, set the engine in the floor. Put the clutch/trans back on it.
    Use your hoist and slowly pick it up and observe how it effects the rail and structure. You may be surprised how much you can actually pick up.
    And then you may find you were right not to trust it.
    Just a thought.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I get that. I used to be set up very similarly. And I learned that having a tip tool attached to the engine made life so much easier.
    Here is a thought, set the engine in the floor. Put the clutch/trans back on it.
    Use your hoist and slowly pick it up and observe how it effects the rail and structure. You may be surprised how much you can actually pick up.
    And then you may find you were right not to trust it.
    Just a thought.
    Yeah now that it's all out and I can focus on the load on the ceiling, I could test. Good idea! Thanks!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah now that it's all out and I can focus on the load on the ceiling, I could test. Good idea! Thanks!
    Or just let the engine and trans hang on the hoist and drop the front cradle out from under it. Lower the eng/trans and rais the front of the car to slide it out from under.
    That's what we used to do to fit the big block and glide in when our car was just a back half chassis

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    More light for the situation. Pulled the bushing off. You're right, that "correct" input shaft I bought was definitely wrong. I'm actually amazed it worked at all. The transmission shouldn't have gone in.... Very confused there
    It looks like the shaft went too far in bore a hole in the bushing, and that process caused the ID of the bushing to have a ring that was catching on the shaft.
    I didn't take a video, but I was able to actually spin the bushing on the shaft, so it wasn't seized directly to the shaft.

Last pic is a comparison of the two shafts I have. While there is a clear length difference between them, I figured it wouldn't have even gone in if it was wrong...
    I'm gonna take measurements later, because I remember measuring them last year and getting some really weird answers compared to what the internet said they should be.View attachment 206590View attachment 206591View attachment 206592
    I'm not up on Ford parts much, but possibly different size bell housings or something?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    There's a difference between Sn95 shafts (94-95) and Foxbody shafts (79-93). I keep seeing 5/8" as the difference.
    And I just measured them. There's a 5/8" difference.
    Awesome. Good to know that "reputable" shops can't get me the right parts. Also good to know that I'm an idiot for trying it anyway. There's actually a good reason for why I tried it, largely being I figured if it was wrong it wouldn't work at all. Oh whale.

So... I was about to start tearing my 302 apart. And then I realized: why?
    I don't KNOW for a fact that it's the engine. It ran when I pulled it. It has a timing cover leak.
    I'm not going to rebuild it. I'm only tearing it apart to see if there's any kind of blatantly obvious reason for the vibration.

So. What if I just sell it as is, sans accessory drive?
    Sell that one. Sell the other one (for whatever I can get out of it), sell all my intakes, all my spare parts.

I'm going to one 351. The 351 goes in this car for a year or so, and then it goes into my Coupe and this Convertible gets an LS.

Which then made me wonder - why bother with the factory wiring/ECU setup? The only reason I was gonna do that, is cause I thought I'd have two all-Ford builds. Since I'm gonna LS swap this anyway and I'm gonna run a Terminator X Maxx on the Coupe, why not just go Terminator for the Convertible, too?
    Then I can sell the factory wiring/ECU setup, with the Quarter Horse tuner and other parts, and just switch to a Terminator now and then all I have to do for the LS swap is an exhaust and new harness for the Terminator.

There's obviously a lot to unpack in everything I just said. I'm kind of just rambling. Looks like I'll be having a garage sale, though.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's a difference between Sn95 shafts (94-95) and Foxbody shafts (79-93). I keep seeing 5/8" as the difference.
    Awesome. Good to know that "reputable" shops can't get me the right parts. Also good to know that I'm an idiot for trying it anyway. There's actually a good reason for why I tried it, largely being I figured if it was wrong it wouldn't work at all. Oh whale.

I don't KNOW for a fact that it's the engine. It ran when I pulled it. It has a timing cover leak.
    I'm not going to rebuild it. I'm only tearing it apart to see if there's any kind of blatantly obvious reason for the vibration.

Sell that one. Sell the other one (for whatever I can get out of it), sell all my intakes, all my spare parts.

I'm going to one 351. The 351 goes in this car for a year or so, and then it goes into my Coupe and this Convertible gets an LS.

Which then made me wonder - why bother with the factory wiring/ECU setup? The only reason I was gonna do that, is cause I thought I'd have two all-Ford builds. Since I'm gonna LS swap this anyway and I'm gonna run a Terminator X Maxx on the Coupe, why not just go Terminator for the Convertible, too?
    Then I can sell the factory wiring/ECU setup, with the Quarter Horse tuner and other parts, and just switch to a Terminator now and then all I have to do for the LS swap is an exhaust and new harness for the Terminator.

There's obviously a lot to unpack in everything I just said. I'm kind of just rambling. Looks like I'll be having a garage sale, though.
    Dude.

You make my head spin.

:ugh:

:rockwoot::rockwoot:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Dude.

You make my head spin.

:ugh:

:rockwoot::rockwoot:
    How do you think I feel most days??
    Feeling more and more comfortable with this. The idea of getting rid of tons of stuff in the garage and simplifying it all, on top of moving to better and newer (Holley) parts, really has me feeling good about this.

Gonna start listing parts in the next couple days. Hopefully I can get a good amount for it all. Lots of stuff accumulated.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Feeling more and more comfortable with this. The idea of getting rid of tons of stuff in the garage and simplifying it all, on top of moving to better and newer (Holley) parts, really has me feeling good about this.

Gonna start listing parts in the next couple days. Hopefully I can get a good amount for it all. Lots of stuff accumulated.
    You’ll be swimming in cash! To me it sounds like a decent plan. Distill everything down some, focus on a more singular project and make some solid progress.

I have a lot of open items on my Jeep but at least it’s one vehicle.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You’ll be swimming in cash! To me it sounds like a decent plan. Distill everything down some, focus on a more singular project and make some solid progress.

I have a lot of open items on my Jeep but at least it’s one vehicle.
    I did the same thing several years ago; I had several new interests that opened up to me along with the old ones I'd had forever. I finally realized that I didn't have enough of the essential ingredients necessary to fully support or enjoy all of them so I took honest looks at all of them and unloaded the ones I didn't want to support any more. Put some extra coin in the pocket, cleaned out the shop but most importantly gave me back some of the resources I needed for the other interests.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Only if you're a good salesman

We've tried to sell some of our old stuff and everyone is either just looking or wants us to give it away

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Only if you're a good salesman

We've tried to sell some of our old stuff and everyone is either just looking or wants us to give it away
    When I cleaned out my shop it was a serious amount of work and effort. People are shopping for freebies and deals. It is the natural way of things.
    I lucked out from having a solid foot in a circle of good people that helped out spreading the word on parts etc.
    ingo classifieds was a solid source to sell the tools and equipment.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Did you really go through that whole disaster of a mountaineer for nothing?
    You really are a wildman.

I do have a carb intake for vortec heads if you want to fit that in the mix somehow. :lmfao:

In all honesty, simplifying things is almost always the better plan, and a 351 will be more fun anyways.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Did you really go through that whole disaster of a mountaineer for nothing?
    You really are a wildman.

I do have a carb intake for vortec heads if you want to fit that in the mix somehow. :lmfao:

In all honesty, simplifying things is almost always the better plan, and a 351 will be more fun anyways.
    It won't be entirely for nothing. I'll have made some money off of it. And I am still keeping the transmission from it, which is a good start for the coupe.
    Oh! Plus the heads. They have to be drilled out for the 351, but at least they'll work and be better than stock!

Top Bottom