• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I’d be down. I had a first Gen 2wd cummins for a while. Loved it. Had the VE pump turned up a little bit. Just a blast to drive.
    I'm starting on the fuel system on my Fummins tonight. Actually nervous about it, largely because I don't have a backup car (other than my wife's) right now and I'm drilling into the fuel tank... One of those, "it's gonna get done or it's not gonna drive" no turning back projects.

Probably rebuild the compound setup soon. I wish this transmission shifted better... Truck is a total turd unless you do a 40 roll.
    The new fuel system combined with my better compound setup is gonna be nasty. It was insane before, and fuel pressure was horrid. Factory Ford pump can't keep up lol. This time I'll have plenty of fuel to get me to 650 at the tire.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Somebody in here needs this. Widebody road-race Foxbody.

Don't take this personally as I haven't met you face to face to begin to even FEEL qualified to say this but as of right now.
    YOU SUCK!

I don't need any more distractions and you have to drag that up! :runaway:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    @thunderchicken I don't know if you have worked with the Holly software much but here is my first draft of a 150 shot nitrous tune. Let me know what you think. I am trying to be conservative with timing and fueling.

View attachment 210212
    View attachment 210215
    View attachment 210214
    I haven't really messed with the Holley software. With carbs and a 7AL3 ignition, we control timing retard with chips so only thing we use the laptop for is the Racepak. Since we use timing chips to pull timing, we just pull it all out when the system activates so it isn't ramped in.
    However the nitrous ramp looks like a good place to start. With such a small shot, once your plugs indicate it's clean and not hurting parts you can start ramping it in faster. The better radials will allow you to throw more at it sooner as well.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    I haven't really messed with the Holley software. With carbs and a 7AL3 ignition, we control timing retard with chips so only thing we use the laptop for is the Racepak. Since we use timing chips to pull timing, we just pull it all out when the system activates so it isn't ramped in.
    However the nitrous ramp looks like a good place to start. With such a small shot, once your plugs indicate it's clean and not hurting parts you can start ramping it in faster. The better radials will allow you to throw more at it sooner as well.
    I am so old. In my day we had a screwdriver

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Heard from the engine builder today. The soonest estimated time to get the valves we need is 6-8 weeks. He has even called other shops trying to find some to no avail. So he is going to play with them tomorrow and see if he can fit lash caps on the two damaged valves. So we'll see if he comes up with any solutions he is comfortable with.
    This whole materials supply chain Bravo Sierra is beyond frustrating

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is so true. It seems like everytime I look for something, it's not available. We are currently not living in the land of plenty, relatively speaking.

I'm glad that I can at least get cleaning supplies. There is always some cleaning I can do on my XJ while I wait for parts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is so true. It seems like everytime I look for something, it's not available. We are currently not living in the land of plenty, relatively speaking.

I'm glad that I can at least get cleaning supplies. There is always some cleaning I can do on my XJ while I wait for parts.
    Relative to what we are used to, it's definitely not the land of plenty.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Heard from the engine builder today. The soonest estimated time to get the valves we need is 6-8 weeks. He has even called other shops trying to find some to no avail. So he is going to play with them tomorrow and see if he can fit lash caps on the two damaged valves. So we'll see if he comes up with any solutions he is comfortable with.
    I feel this strongly.
    Rods showed up today. No word on the pistons yet.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I feel this strongly.
    Rods showed up today. No word on the pistons yet.
    We had been planning to have our engine freshened up at the end of the season. But our builder has advised that the rods we use are taking 9-10 months to get, lifters are 2-3 months lead time. For the repairs we are working on now we have spare rockers and push rods. However to get a some replacement spares would be 8-10 weeks and push rods is 2-3 weeks. All because of material and skilled labor shortages.
    So if we took our engine in to be freshened in early October we might not get it back until next July or August. Starting to lean toward trying to get another year out of it

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Also - going to pick up the temp car tomorrow. Truck seems to be running strong with the new fuel setup. -8an lines from the tank to the injection pump. Seeing 30ish psi at idle, 40 at cruise, and it dips to 32ish at full throttle. I have an adjustable overflow valve, might try to tighten it up to raise the fuel pressure a smidge.

Top Bottom