• ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Welllllll. Good news and bad news.
    Got my turbo drain leak fixed. Got a new air filter in. Got the wiring for the AC fan fixed.

Started on the brakes. Got the caliper off and...

So what's the usual cause for this? I've had two calipers on this truck fail in this similar fashion.View attachment 203782View attachment 203783
    Probably a combination of heat and maybe the piston having some rotation when under hydraulic pressure. I see calipers like this at least once a week.
    The pistons are definitely bot pushed out tok far for a truck caliper/pad.
    You can either get a rebuild kit or throw calipers on it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You may want to do just a little research and see if there is a caliper available with high temp silicone dust boots.
    At work, we've had to do that on several K-9 vehicles, especially on Dodge Chargers. They get the brakes hot and it just burns the boots off between oil changes. We had some we would have to replace every 3k miles until we started getting calipers with high temp boots

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If you look at the second pic of the caliper, you can see them hanging out there. You think maybe those came out, then they got stuck out there? I haven't tried to push either one back in.
    I'm with TC it looks like they're rotating. Also looks like the boots are not staying in the caliper to me. New pistons, square cut seals and boots. Make sure the grooves are clean and in good shape, if not the boots will pop out and the seals can twist binding up the piston.

Didn't you put remanufactured on it, and then have issues with them?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I'm with TC it looks like they're rotating. Also looks like the boots are not staying in the caliper to me. New pistons, square cut seals and boots. Make sure the grooves are clean and in good shape, if not the boots will pop out and the seals can twist binding up the piston.

Didn't you put remanufactured on it, and then have issues with them?
    I've lost track of what calipers are on this. I did take both of these calipers apart a year or so ago and didn't put new seals on. The seals coming out is more than likely my fault.
    Dud to time restraints, I'll be putting remans from O'Reilly on this time around.

I know that BOTH of these calipers got smokin hot due to some wild stuff from the braking system before I got it all sorted. So maybe they were just weak from that?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've lost track of what calipers are on this. I did take both of these calipers apart a year or so ago and didn't put new seals on. The seals coming out is more than likely my fault.
    Dud to time restraints, I'll be putting remans from O'Reilly on this time around.

I know that BOTH of these calipers got smokin hot due to some wild stuff from the braking system before I got it all sorted. So maybe they were just weak from that?
    If it got that hot it could have easily damaged the seals and boots, also the fluid.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just rolled in from the drag strip!

Best was a 7:01 at 104 mph for my GT 500 on stock tires.

Wife ran a 7:12 at 101 with the big car!

We ran the 7:60 index so we were out in the first round!
    So is this a street car/tire class or a bracket tree I am not familiar with??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If they went through a shake and bake, then yes they got cooked.
    Sucks you have had so many issues with the brakes. Calipers and pads. Reusing any of those parts is possibly asking for another issue.
    Clean up the rotors best you can as it sounds like turning them is not in the cards on this go round but you already know what I am going to say.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    If they went through a shake and bake, then yes they got cooked.
    Sucks you have had so many issues with the brakes. Calipers and pads. Reusing any of those parts is possibly asking for another issue.
    Clean up the rotors best you can as it sounds like turning them is not in the cards on this go round but you already know what I am going to say.
    I already have pads and rotors on hand. I'm gonna grab new calipers Sunday.

I've replaced those hoses, too. I'm not sure if I should replace them again or not. At this time, I don't have reason to believe they're bad.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Is this a heads up thing..??
    Sounds interesting.
    Most of the index classes are run heads up on a pro tree. From a spectator stand point, it's easier to watch than a typical bracket class.
    Index racing is very common in KY. I can't think of the track off the top of my head but a friend frequents their 4.70 index class, where get this they usually have over a hundred cars in that class.
    Typically index rules are simply meet safety requirements and don't break out.
    I wish IRP would adopt some index classes..heck I wish they didn't start at 10am too

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most of the index classes are run heads up on a pro tree. From a spectator stand point, it's easier to watch than a typical bracket class.
    Index racing is very common in KY. I can't think of the track off the top of my head but a friend frequents their 4.70 index class, where get this they usually have over a hundred cars in that class.
    Typically index rules are simply meet safety requirements and don't break out.
    I wish IRP would adopt some index classes..heck I wish they didn't start at 10am too
    IRP has issues filling the brackets sometimes.
    I believe the racing is regulated by noise restrictions though they will have late racing at times.
    For a top shelf track they sure don't use it as much as they could.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Most of the tracks down here have TNT on Friday nights with some kind of shootout or index racing. Then bracket stuff on Saturday.

Last night was Ohio valley street car shoot out.
    car needed tags, DOT tires, pass tech for ET.

Heads up pro tree
    classes
    street truck
    Its a NHRA track so tech is good they made us wear fire jackets after our first passes.
    It was good to see young people racing what they could afford. Maybe there is hope for the sport. Over 100 cars last night.

BTW
    I thought the newer Camaro SS’s were quick they were running 8.40’s ? with 445hp/445tq

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Most of the tracks down here have TNT on Friday nights with some kind of shootout or index racing. Then bracket stuff on Saturday.

Last night was Ohio valley street car shoot out.
    car needed tags, DOT tires, pass tech for ET.

Heads up pro tree
    classes
    street truck
    Its a NHRA track so tech is good they made us wear fire jackets after our first passes.
    It was good to see young people racing what they could afford. Maybe there is hope for the sport. Over 100 cars last night.

BTW
    I thought the newer Camaro SS’s were quick they were running 8.40’s ? with 445hp/445tq
    Terry and his crew down there at OV always run a good program. He can make that track handle serious power all day long too. I believe either next week or the week after they are having their annual prize fight race. Should be several really fast radial tire cars there.
    I've always enjoyed racing down there. Except that for whatever reason when we go it seems to always be at least 90*

Top Bottom