• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Too big. Just insanely huge. My daughters Navigator had one and it was huge under that hood. Could not imaging it in a fox body and not to disagree (:):) but aftermarket support...???
    That and size are my choices.
    You have to admit the SB Chevy has found a home in more hotrods over time than about anything else out there. Yes they get over done but with good reasons. Plus they run. Not saying nothing else runs because that's just silly. Just looking at the path of least resistance. One of the main reasons I twice stepped away from the Mopar badge in my time.
    I realize the game has changed.

Had a small block in a Nova with a manual...and still miss it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A fine example of a supercharged mod-motor stuffed into a Fox. Guy calls it the "termifox." love it.View attachment 203643
    Stuffed being the key word.
    In my flipper days we had a 68 fast back 390 auto. I thought it was tough to work on. Changing passenger side plugs was almost a dealership thing for a lot of folks. That mess in the pic took some talent.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Class truck move - I fix the compressor wheel, and the turbo drain melts and starts pouring oil.

I need AN fittings. Is there any shop other than Earl's that is around the south-side and has a ton of AN fittings?
    Need a turbo drain fitting and a combination of -10 or -12 fittings/hoses.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I just really dislike working on the Mod engines. No matter what you do it is always a PIA. Broken spark plugs, cam phasers, timing chains, coolant leaks. I really dislike working on them, especially the early 3v and the early plastic intake manifold ones. They can make good power though. I have a buddy with an 04 Mach 1 and it's a fun car.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Stuffed being the key word.
    In my flipper days we had a 68 fast back 390 auto. I thought it was tough to work on. Changing passenger side plugs was almost a dealership thing for a lot of folks. That mess in the pic took some talent.
    I had a 70 Mach 1 with the 351C
    and don’t know if those passenger side plugs were any easier than the 68 but it would
    sure exercise your vocabulary replacing them

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Class truck move - I fix the compressor wheel, and the turbo drain melts and starts pouring oil.

I need AN fittings. Is there any shop other than Earl's that is around the south-side and has a ton of AN fittings?
    Need a turbo drain fitting and a combination of -10 or -12 fittings/hoses.
    amazon has gotten some of my fittings to me overnight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a 70 Mach 1 with the 351C
    and don’t know if those passenger side plugs were any easier than the 68 but it would
    sure exercise your vocabulary replacing them
    I ended up removing the passenger side wheel. Getting a proper sized hole saw and some plastic plugs. Popped a few well placed holes. New plugs/wires etc. Put the plugs in the holes with some silicon to seal the deal. Tire back on and off to the races. The car had a terrible miss/oil leaks/bad U-joints when we bought it and got it cheap for those reasons. He said he had it at 2 shops for the miss and they could not fix it. Turns out the plug wires on the center 2 cylinders were laying on each other and arcing across. We found it when I got launched from under the hood feeling around to make sure the wires were on the plugs. After a full tune up it ran like it should have. The oil leaks were the VCG so that was not a tough fix.
    Did the brakes tires and an Oil change and it sold pretty quick but I liked driving that car and balked at selling it. But don't tell those Blue Oval guys in here. I cant take the beating...:):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I ended up removing the passenger side wheel. Getting a proper sized hole saw and some plastic plugs. Popped a few well placed holes. New plugs/wires etc. Put the plugs in the holes with some silicon to seal the deal.
    Ha. I did the same thing on an old Ford Aerostar. The passenger side plugs were dang impossible to get to. Drilled a few holes in the passenger side foot well and plugged them back up when I was done.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ha. I did the same thing on an old Ford Aerostar. The passenger side plugs were dang impossible to get to. Drilled a few holes in the passenger side foot well and plugged them back up when I was done.
    Heck, back in 1973 I had to go in through the passenger wheel well to change the plugs on my Buick Apollo. Problem has been around for quite some time, lol.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I ended up removing the passenger side wheel. Getting a proper sized hole saw and some plastic plugs. Popped a few well placed holes. New plugs/wires etc. Put the plugs in the holes with some silicon to seal the deal. Tire back on and off to the races. The car had a terrible miss/oil leaks/bad U-joints when we bought it and got it cheap for those reasons. He said he had it at 2 shops for the miss and they could not fix it. Turns out the plug wires on the center 2 cylinders were laying on each other and arcing across. We found it when I got launched from under the hood feeling around to make sure the wires were on the plugs. After a full tune up it ran like it should have. The oil leaks were the VCG so that was not a tough fix.
    Did the brakes tires and an Oil change and it sold pretty quick but I liked driving that car and balked at selling it. But don't tell those Blue Oval guys in here. I cant take the beating...:):
    I see what you said.. It's ok CM, it's not the first time you've admitted to being a closet Blue Oval man.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just really dislike working on the Mod engines. No matter what you do it is always a PIA. Broken spark plugs, cam phasers, timing chains, coolant leaks. I really dislike working on them, especially the early 3v and the early plastic intake manifold ones. They can make good power though. I have a buddy with an 04 Mach 1 and it's a fun car.
    The DOHC mod motor is a bit more of a PITA than the SOHC version. SOHC mod motors like 4.6 are gravy to work on. The biggest problems with those are many left the factory with #3 spark plug slightly loose and it's usually the first to shoot the spark plug out. Requires installing a threaded insert ( not a heli-coil), but even that's a fairly simple job with the proper kit. The plastic intakes like to leak at coolant passages and the nipple for the heater hose get very brittle. On earlier models the hydraulic timing chain tensioners weren't sealed (just machined surface) and didn't get sufficient oil onto the chain guides. Timing chains on those are very simple though. People get intimidated too easy on them.

I know a cop that owns a CV with the 4.6 sohc that he installed a Procharger & cooler, headers, beefed up trans and converter, rear gears and 275 radials. It's pretty dang healthy as a legit daily driver. He even took it to SCT to have the pcm updated and tuned on the chassis dyno. He did good work on it.

I put Magnusson super chargers on a couple when I worked for a previous employer. Those kinda sucked

Top Bottom