• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see what you said.. It's ok CM, it's not the first time you've admitted to being a closet Blue Oval man.
    Owned a couple. Been put on the trailer by a few. the street as well.
    I loved some of the trucks but none of the new ones. Drove Ford vans for years running service and I preferred the Fords over the Chevy's.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I always did those from underneath. Wasn't a big deal that way. Having stuff on a lift makes a lot of jobs easier than dealing with them at home
    Yep. No lift for me.

On a side note, that was was a blast to drive. It was a cargo model so no back seats. The crappy seats in the front were changed out for a real nice set of stock seats from a 90ish Aerostar. That made a huge difference.

With the 3.0l V6, it had decent enough power to burn the tires off. Cost me a transmission in the process. But I was young and stupid.

I think I had to put about 500 lbs of sand in the read to make it drivable in the winter.

Good times.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The DOHC mod motor is a bit more of a PITA than the SOHC version. SOHC mod motors like 4.6 are gravy to work on. The biggest problems with those are many left the factory with #3 spark plug slightly loose and it's usually the first to shoot the spark plug out. Requires installing a threaded insert ( not a heli-coil), but even that's a fairly simple job with the proper kit. The plastic intakes like to leak at coolant passages and the nipple for the heater hose get very brittle. On earlier models the hydraulic timing chain tensioners weren't sealed (just machined surface) and didn't get sufficient oil onto the chain guides. Timing chains on those are very simple though. People get intimidated too easy on them.

I know a cop that owns a CV with the 4.6 sohc that he installed a Procharger & cooler, headers, beefed up trans and converter, rear gears and 275 radials. It's pretty dang healthy as a legit daily driver. He even took it to SCT to have the pcm updated and tuned on the chassis dyno. He did good work on it.

I put Magnusson super chargers on a couple when I worked for a previous employer. Those kinda sucked
    I wouldn't say gravy to work on. Ford 300 is gravy, SBC is gravy.

These damn things have gotten me close to just lighting a vehicle on fire.
    sp8160c1_2.3036.jpg
    I'm pretty sure I had to helicoil every spark plug on my cousins pickup, and the timing chains are like 67' long.

I think everyone I ever worked on was a pia.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Owned a couple. Been put on the trailer by a few. the street as well.
    I loved some of the trucks but none of the new ones. Drove Ford vans for years running service and I preferred the Fords over the Chevy's.
    Much like so many GM guys still love the square body pick ups, I still love the look of the 70s Ford pick ups. I hate vans all makes and models lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't say gravy to work on. Ford 300 is gravy, SBC is gravy.

These damn things have gotten me close to just lighting a vehicle on fire.
    View attachment 203708
    I'm pretty sure I had to helicoil every spark plug on my cousins pickup, and the timing chains are like 67' long.

I think everyone I ever worked on was a pia.
    That looks like the 3v 9/16 spark plug. Yes those can be special.
    I've worked on the 4.6 2v for so many years it's just simple

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    $160 in fittings and 2 hours of driving later, I've got hopefully all I need to get the truck together tonight. Ended up driving out to Fleece Performance and then to Earl's.
    Front brakes and building a new turbo drain tonight. Probably do the drain first then the brakes. Bought caliper seal kits so I can pull the pistons out and ensure they're all clean and not gonna drag like they did last time.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Man, you guys gearing up for wrenching this weekend and I just bought $120 of grass seed. It has finally gotten dry enough to get some much needed swales in my yard and some other grading done.

That is what I will be doing this weekend. Maybe I'll squeeze in a little time on the XJ. :shady:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    $160 in fittings and 2 hours of driving later, I've got hopefully all I need to get the truck together tonight. Ended up driving out to Fleece Performance and then to Earl's.
    Front brakes and building a new turbo drain tonight. Probably do the drain first then the brakes. Bought caliper seal kits so I can pull the pistons out and ensure they're all clean and not gonna drag like they did last time.
    Mark, counter guy/owner at Earls is a personal friend of mine. He is a stellar individual.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man, you guys gearing up for wrenching this weekend and I just bought $120 of grass seed. It has finally gotten dry enough to get some much needed swales in my yard and some other grading done.

That is what I will be doing this weekend. Maybe I'll squeeze in a little time on the XJ. :shady:
    Putting up the new pool next door for the terrorists. The old one was duty cycled out. Failed pump and other issues. 18' across and 4' deep.
    New one is 22' across and 5' 2" deep. It required a solid week of tilling racking tilling raking and leveling.
    1 more evening and they should have the ground ready to go.
    I am supervising.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That looks like the 3v 9/16 spark plug. Yes those can be special.
    I've worked on the 4.6 2v for so many years it's just simple

I am a firm believer that the 4.6 2V with an x-pipe and a proper catback exhaust is the greatest sounding 260hp that man ever created. They make an absolutely glorious sound for the (lack of) power they produce.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Mark, counter guy/owner at Earls is a personal friend of mine. He is a stellar individual.
    Mark is amazing. Dude knows me pretty well at this point lol. Spent many hours in there getting fittings and stuff figured out for turbos, transmissions, and more.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Welllllll. Good news and bad news.
    Got my turbo drain leak fixed. Got a new air filter in. Got the wiring for the AC fan fixed.

Started on the brakes. Got the caliper off and...

So what's the usual cause for this? I've had two calipers on this truck fail in this similar fashion.20220603_215552.jpg20220603_215604.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Welllllll. Good news and bad news.
    Got my turbo drain leak fixed. Got a new air filter in. Got the wiring for the AC fan fixed.

Started on the brakes. Got the caliper off and...

So what's the usual cause for this? I've had two calipers on this truck fail in this similar fashion.
    Looks like the pistons are extended WAY too far, wrong pads/rotors or did you push them out?

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    How about a pic of the pads. Are they wore even?
    They look even. One is still on the truck cause I can't work on it again till Sunday. But here's a pic through the caliper. I noticed this nice scuff pattern on the outer pad that I took off.

Attachments

• 20220603_221407.jpg
      20220603_221407.jpg
      211.8 KB · Views: 2
    • 20220603_221353.jpg
      20220603_221353.jpg
      222.3 KB · Views: 2
    • 20220603_221341.jpg
      20220603_221341.jpg
      288.8 KB · Views: 2
    Top Bottom