• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    The blue Camaro is the 70 when my buddy Mike had it before we traded him out of it. It was ran on a 2 car team out of a speed shop in Arizona I believe. One (68 Camaro) was Thunder. The 70 was Lightning. I saw both cars at the Nationals in the early 70's
    The turd brown Cuttlas was faster than it looked and had two division 3 bracket finals Wally’s. There is another pic coming if it.
    View attachment 194367View attachment 194368
    Great Pics! Gotta add them to my collection, hope ya dont mind. There just too cool. Really dig the Top One. You da Man Church. Hope to bump into some of you guys this summer. I still own my 83 Monte and my 01 Hurst Edition Mustang. So ill be at some of the Cruise Ins around here. I really like the 1st Friday of the month in Danville.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Question:

I know with the new turbo technology with computer tuned horsepower trim / adder curves, automatics are now the main transmission. Does anyone bother with the Lenco transmissions any more? I was sure one of those would make me a champion, but you had to already be a winning champion to afford a Lenco setup.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Question:

I know with the new turbo technology with computer tuned horsepower trim / adder curves, automatics are now the main transmission. Does anyone bother with the Lenco transmissions any more? I was sure one of those would make me a champion, but you had to already be a winning champion to afford a Lenco setup.
    Oh yeah there are lots of people who run Lenco's. Now the also has a Brunno/Lenco that utilizes a converter with it. As far as really fast stuff goes the main transmissions seem to be powerglide, Turbo 400, Liberty (pro stock type cars), Lenco, Brunno/Lenco.
    The glide will handle a good amount but once you start getting much ove 2500-3k HP they don't tend to live very long.

Reactions: Leo

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Any of you guys go to the Old Roadway Inn Off Lynhurst and Airport Expressway back when the CarCraft Street Machine Nats used to be held here in Indy (1977-1981). They always had an EPIC Burnout contest in the Parking lot of the inn. Those were some crazy parties back then.

View attachment 194361
    I actually lived in the apartments behind the Roadway inn for a couple of years while I was going to Lincoln Tech. I had 8 to 10 friends spend the weekend in the apartment while the Street Machine Nationals were going on, spend all day at the fairgrounds and then late into the night watching the cars and girls at the motels. Had a blast and those were the good days in the eyes of a 19 to 20 year old.
    The first year I lived there they were holding drags on the road in front of the motel. Blocked traffic and went at it.
    Police showed up and they were kind of overwhelmed and didn't have much luck stopping anything. They called the fire department in and they sprayed the road down to stop the racing. I remember everything got quite and we thought it was over when IIRC a 55 chevy with a 301 small block(I had a conversation with the owner earlier) idled out on the road and backed into the water and did a 7500 rpm burnout in the water. Everyone went crazy and the police and fire department just packed up and left. We heard that this went on at several motels in town and they were spread thin.
    Thanks for reviving the memories.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I actually lived in the apartments behind the Roadway inn for a couple of years while I was going to Lincoln Tech. I had 8 to 10 friends spend the weekend in the apartment while the Street Machine Nationals were going on, spend all day at the fairgrounds and then late into the night watching the cars and girls at the motels. Had a blast and those were the good days in the eyes of a 19 to 20 year old.
    The first year I lived there they were holding drags on the road in front of the motel. Blocked traffic and went at it.
    Police showed up and they were kind of overwhelmed and didn't have much luck stopping anything. They called the fire department in and they sprayed the road down to stop the racing. I remember everything got quite and we thought it was over when IIRC a 55 chevy with a 301 small block(I had a conversation with the owner earlier) idled out on the road and backed into the water and did a 7500 rpm burnout in the water. Everyone went crazy and the police and fire department just packed up and left. We heard that this went on at several motels in town and they were spread thin.
    Thanks for reviving the memories.
    Funny that you mention the Street Machine Nationals. The same year that I mentioned about the Street Rod Nationals, earlier I was working down south and again was in a motel in a city where the Street Machine Nationals were.

Those of us that attended both saw a marked difference in the owners and attitudes between the two.

The Street Machiners were younger, louder and a little unruly at times.
    The Street Rodders were older, mature and quieter. They also had much nicer cars overall, probably due to having more discretionary income on average.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    the year I went to the Street Machine Nationals the cops didn't screw around. They showed up with school busses and the dogs. They cleared the street in short order. Even a drunk doesn't want to be bit in the butt by a Shepherd.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Oh yeah there are lots of people who run Lenco's. Now the also has a Brunno/Lenco that utilizes a converter with it. As far as really fast stuff goes the main transmissions seem to be powerglide, Turbo 400, Liberty (pro stock type cars), Lenco, Brunno/Lenco.
    The glide will handle a good amount but once you start getting much ove 2500-3k HP they don't tend to live very long.

Larry Larson always ran a Lenco when he won all of those Drag Weeks back in the day.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Little update on my hotrod. Right before the Bowling Green NMRA even I had my buddy over who I bought the car from. He was in town from Colorado so we went out thrashing for a bit and ended up gernading the transmission. Found out the transmission tune caused that. Got another junkyard transmission fast and got it put in before Bowling Green. The new transmission didn't shift as well as the first one and caused me issues all weekend but I did manage to get a new personal best in the car. 12.91 @ 108.

Once home, I pulled the trans out and took it back to the junkyard for a 60 day money back warranty. This winter I found another cheap trans and got it put in the car. Hopefully this one last a bit longer. I have taken a few short drives and it seems to be better but haven't had it down the strip yet.

Other winter upgrades that aren't done yet is installing some nitrous and I just purchased a 3500 stall converter. Really excited to see how much the new converter helps as I was only able to launch at about 1800 before.
    FB_IMG_1633306122943.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Little update on my hotrod. Right before the Bowling Green NMRA even I had my buddy over who I bought the car from. He was in town from Colorado so we went out thrashing for a bit and ended up gernading the transmission. Found out the transmission tune caused that. Got another junkyard transmission fast and got it put in before Bowling Green. The new transmission didn't shift as well as the first one and caused me issues all weekend but I did manage to get a new personal best in the car. 12.91 @ 108.

Once home, I pulled the trans out and took it back to the junkyard for a 60 day money back warranty. This winter I found another cheap trans and got it put in the car. Hopefully this one last a bit longer. I have taken a few short drives and it seems to be better but haven't had it down the strip yet.

Other winter upgrades that aren't done yet is installing some nitrous and I just purchased a 3500 stall converter. Really excited to see how much the new converter helps as I was only able to launch at about 1800 before.
    View attachment 194933
    That convertor might eat that junkyard trans. Did you install a shift plate in it. Not for the stiffer shifts but to allow more fluid into the places it needs to be.
    Nice ET/MPH

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    That convertor might eat that junkyard trans. Did you install a shift plate in it. Not for the stiffer shifts but to allow more fluid into the places it needs to be.
    Nice ET/MPH
    The trans is a ford 4r70w. I did what is called a Jmod which is very common. Drilling out a few holes on the plate and removing some springs. This trans should be more than capable to handle the power I am throwing at it but I don't know if mine is since it I'm sure has over 100k miles.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I forgot to post after last weekend, my first weekend at Putnam Park this year.

I saw three different red z06’s have engine problems in some form. One blew apart in the straight away leaving pieces and oil all the way to turn two. Another had a fresh build with 300 miles and started smoking just a few laps in. It was a bad weekend for the red Corvettes.

I saw a bright green Porsche gt3 bump a sweet 64 Corvette when it slowed down for my flag and the Porsche guy wasn’t paying attention. Luckily he rubbed the wide tire and the Porsche was the only one with damage.

I saw a rear tire come off a bad ass RX8 and send the car spinning off the track.

I flagged a Dodge Viper for a front end noise and when he pitted he found loose lug nuts.

All in all it was good shakedown event for the 10/10ths car club.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

View attachment 194933
    Sounds to me like you should consider having someone actually go through and freshen up that transmission before you go abusing it.
    Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You are abusing junk yard transmissions and decided to buy a. 3500 stall converter and are adding nitrous to the mix?
    No offense meant, but how many miles or how old is the engine? Have you thought this through? I would be worried that 100k mile transmission likely won't hold up with the higher stall and spray. How much spray?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This car is on a radial. How the rear suspension works is not what we are used to. It's explained in the video.

Yeah that's what I tried to explain in one of the other racing threads a few days ago. Those Radial vs World (RvW) cars are incredible. That's a fantastic video explaining it and great visual of how the rear separates and the nose stays down. A lot of those cars run those insane numbers on 315 series drag radials. But, dang near all of them have traction control too so that helps

Top Bottom