• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The trans is a ford 4r70w. I did what is called a Jmod which is very common. Drilling out a few holes on the plate and removing some springs. This trans should be more than capable to handle the power I am throwing at it but I don't know if mine is since it I'm sure has over 100k miles.
    Man that is up to you as it is your program but seriously, might want to spend a few dollars and a weekend freshening it up. I have ran 3500 and up stall speed on different GM trans. and never had much luck doing it.
    OK blue oval guys can the Chevy jokes OK.....:):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Man that is up to you as it is your program but seriously, might want to spend a few dollars and a weekend freshening it up. I have ran 3500 and up stall speed on different GM trans. and never had much luck doing it.
    OK blue oval guys can the Chevy jokes OK.....:):
    Hey I can't say anything...I run a blue oval backed with a very healthy 'glide

Edit- my uncle hate to even admit it's a GM design. He refers to it as a 2 speed racing transmission

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Sounds to me like you should consider having someone actually go through and freshen up that transmission before you go abusing it.
    Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You are abusing junk yard transmissions and decided to buy a. 3500 stall converter and are adding nitrous to the mix?
    No offense meant, but how many miles or how old is the engine? Have you thought this through? I would be worried that 100k mile transmission likely won't hold up with the higher stall and spray. How much spray?
    I have thought about having it gone through. One of these days I will get tired of swapping transmissions.

the 351w had about 160k miles on it when it was pulled from a plow truck that was parted out because of rust. I added a set of trick flow heads, a cam, and a super vic intake. It has a little blow by but has 20 psi oil pressure at idle and 60 psi at anything over 1500 rpm.

I won't spray anymore than a 150 shot and it will be progressive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have thought about having it gone through. One of these days I will get tired of swapping transmissions.

the 351w had about 160k miles on it when it was pulled from a plow truck that was parted out because of rust. I added a set of trick flow heads, a cam, and a super vic intake. It has a little blow by but has 20 psi oil pressure at idle and 60 psi at anything over 1500 rpm.

I won't spray anymore than a 150 shot and it will be progressive.

What pistons are in the 351. If they are cast you may be scraping the parts off the track. I had a 150 shot on my Biscayne with a near stock 4 bolt short block and it did just fine with the 100 HP pills but when we put the 150;s in it the #5 piston turned to dust and the rod sliced up the block. Could have been a fluke of course but the 150 is the edge of the envelope on stock stuff.
    Keep us apprised as to your successes and not so much. This is an interesting thing to watch.
    Absolutely no "I told you so" will be forth coming.

That engine failure was a sort of blessing as I got straight up stupid with the next one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey I can't say anything...I run a blue oval backed with a very healthy 'glide

Edit- my uncle hate to even admit it's a GM design. He refers to it as a 2 speed racing transmission
    I kind of doubt the engineers at GM had any real notions of the future racing applications of the little Glide from Grammas Nova.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    What pistons are in the 351. If they are cast you may be scraping the parts off the track. I had a 150 shot on my Biscayne with a near stock 4 bolt short block and it did just fine with the 100 HP pills but when we put the 150;s in it the #5 piston turned to dust and the rod sliced up the block. Could have been a fluke of course but the 150 is the edge of the envelope on stock stuff.
    Keep us apprised as to your successes and not so much. This is an interesting thing to watch.
    Absolutely no "I told you so" will be forth coming.

That engine failure was a sort of blessing as I got straight up stupid with the next one.
    They are stock 1996 truck pistons. The rings have plenty of gap so not to worried about that.

I'm not to worried if I blow it up, as long as I can save the heads, intake, and cam. I have done everything on this car and it has been such a learning experience. If the motor stays together this summer, it will be getting boost this winter!

FYI, tomorrow is national Mustang day and I plan on going to Inskeep Ford in Greenfield. Say hello if you see me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    They are stock 1996 truck pistons. The rings have plenty of gap so not to worried about that.

I'm not to worried if I blow it up, as long as I can save the heads, intake, and cam. I have done everything on this car and it has been such a learning experience. If the motor stays together this summer, it will be getting boost this winter!

FYI, tomorrow is national Mustang day and I plan on going to Inskeep Ford in Greenfield. Say hello if you see me.
    I was about to respond to your last post when this one popped up.

A stock 351w rotating assembly with 60k miles on it with trickflow heads, a cam and intake backed by a 3500 stall converter and a stock 100+k miles junk yard transmission and you plan to spray 150 shot...then if it still holds up you plan to give it boost next winter?
    Do you have any experience with nitrous?
    If/when she starts eating herself alive, those heads will be damaged just hard to say how bad. Maybe it will be bent valves, maybe it will be pieces of piston beating the heck out of the combustion chambers it's just a guess.
    Not sure what you mean by "the rings have plenty of gap", but hopefully those rings seal enough to hold the pressure.

Man, I sure hope you have a diaper on that engine. Or at least flush the coolant and run straight water. That may help make the track clean up faster when that 351w decides it's had enough and kicks the rods out the side.
    Better yet, make sure you have good safety equipment just in case.
    Where do you plan to run this at?
    Keep us posted to how it works out

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is how you learn. It’s crazy how fast you can go on an old truck short block and a 100K Tranny from a bone yard.
    We all started out this way.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A stock 351w rotating assembly with 60k miles on it with trickflow heads, a cam and intake backed by a 3500 stall converter and a stock 100+k miles junk yard transmission and you plan to spray 150 shot...then if it still holds up you plan to give it boost next winter?
    If/when she starts eating herself alive, those heads will be damaged just hard to say how bad. Maybe it will be bent valves, maybe it will be pieces of piston beating the heck out of the combustion chambers it's just a guess.
    Not sure what you mean by "the rings have plenty of gap", but hopefully those rings seal enough to hold the pressure.

Man, I sure hope you have a diaper on that engine. Or at least flush the coolant and run straight water. That may help make the track clean up faster when that 351w decides it's had enough and kicks the rods out the side.
    We have 2 mad scientist now.
    I love it.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville

I'm hoping to run at Muncie Wednesday. New converter won't be in and will be without nitrous. Just looking to make a couple of passes on this trans.
    This is how you learn. It’s crazy how fast you can go on an old truck short block and a 100K Tranny from a bone yard.
    We all started out this way.
    It is crazy how many people have made 1000hp on stock short block 351w's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm hoping to run at Muncie Wednesday. New converter won't be in and will be without nitrous. Just looking to make a couple of passes on this trans.

Not doubting your post but 1000 Pony’s is serious stuff. How long will they live.
    I have built several engines near that number but not in stock parts.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yeah but getting 1000hp out of a stock short block takes having done some serious homework and having a darn good idea how the tune with work. I hope you have that knowledge

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I agree
    If they are reaching 1000hp they surely don't live very long.
    Me too I wanna see it.

It is much more common to see the LS guys making over 1000 on all stock engines. Go check out some no prep events and you will amazed on how common it is. Yeah they don't live as long as a built motor but for the cost you can get a ls for they don't care.

I only plan to make about 700. From the research I have done, this is pretty achievable.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It is much more common to see the LS guys making over 1000 on all stock engines. Go check out some no prep events and you will amazed on how common it is. Yeah they don't live as long as a built motor but for the cost you can get a ls for they don't care.

I only plan to make about 700. From the research I have done, this is pretty achievable.
    Oh yeah many of us are pretty well versed in the LS craze.
    I've had my hands on plenty of SBF's over the years. The block will handle 700, but I'm not so sure the rotating assembly will live very long. I really do wish you luck though.

Do you have any experience playing with nitrous? It can carry a bit of a learning curve.
    That learning curve often comes at the price of damaged parts. Trust me, I know lol

Top Bottom