• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    That is a very impressive ET for not a lot of HP. Unless he’s got some insane internals on that 2V, he’s only making 450 to the wheels max. Even with the weight reduction, that thing must be going loooow 1’s to the 60’ to consistently get to the low 10’s.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is a very impressive ET for not a lot of HP. Unless he’s got some insane internals on that 2V, he’s only making 450 to the wheels max. Even with the weight reduction, that thing must be going loooow 1’s to the 60’ to consistently get to the low 10’s.

1st he is hooked and most likely kills it to 60'.
    2nd thats where you make time towards a good et.
    3rd I love a wheel stander so he must have a serious convertor in it to run that hard with 4.10s in it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Sounds about right. 500-525 at the crank.
    Maybe 2800-2900 lbs. (Complete guess)
    Hookin good and bookin
    He must be pretty good at launching and shifting.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That looked like an auto shifter. I did not read all the spec.
    No wonder it stands up.
    Trans alone is worth close to $5k

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Honestly, I would have to see a time slip to believe it to have "loooow 1's to the 60". Maybe it depends what you call low 1's. But, I would venture to bet with it hooking that hard and wheel standing, (which both burn time in the first 60'), I would bet it's mid 1.40's and maybe high 1.30's on a good day. I know a few guys with pretty healthy cars that run low 10's- 9.90's that dead hook like that and their 60' times are almost always in the 1.40's.
    It's a light weight car at 2750 but doesn't say if that's with driver or not. I would bet it makes it's steam from about 100' on out.

Just my .02 cents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Honestly, I would have to see a time slip to believe it to have "loooow 1's to the 60". Maybe it depends what you call low 1's. But, I would venture to bet with it hooking that hard and wheel standing, (which both burn time in the first 60'), I would bet it's mid 1.40's and maybe high 1.30's on a good day. I know a few guys with pretty healthy cars that run low 10's- 9.90's that dead hook like that and their 60' times are almost always in the 1.40's.
    It's a light weight car at 2750 but doesn't say if that's with driver or not. I would bet it makes it's steam from about 100' on out.

Just my .02 cents.
    Now that I know it’s a stick you might be right.
    My Camaro dead hooked like that and rode the rears a good ways out. 1.30’s avg 60’ times trimmed out to run 9.90’s.
    Curb Weight was close but we added a lot of weight to slow it down to be legal.
    No Halo bar limited us to 6.40/9.90.
    At fighting weight with all the stops pulled it was much faster.

I always worked to dead hook but now I am hearing wheel speed etc from the fast boys. Hell I thought that was only in Truck/Tractor pulls :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Trans alone is worth close to $5k

That’s a beast. The center bearing is what’s lacking in a Muncie or a BW T-10.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Now that I know it’s a stick you might be right.
    My Camaro dead hooked like that and rode the rears a good ways out. 1.30’s avg 60’ times trimmed out to run 9.90’s.
    Curb Weight was close but we added a lot of weight to slow it down to be legal.
    No Halo bar limited us to 6.40/9.90.
    At fighting weight with all the stops pulled it was much faster.

I always worked to dead hook but now I am hearing wheel speed etc from the fast boys. Hell I thought that was only in Truck/Tractor pulls :):
    On a fast slick tire (especially bias ply) you want some controlled wheel speed. Too much wheel speed and you'll shake everything up. But you want to ride that fine line where you have wheel speed but not shaking. Gotta keep that tire as round as possible. On a mouse trap sticky track dead hooking can kill the short time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On a fast slick tire (especially bias ply) you want some controlled wheel speed. Too much wheel speed and you'll shake everything up. But you want to ride that fine line where you have wheel speed but not shaking. Gotta keep that tire as round as possible. On a mouse trap sticky track dead hooking can kill the short time.
    OK that makes sense.
    Running this way would have seriously screwed up all my set ups. I had both cars dialed to hit the shift lites at the stripe. Wound up tight.
    Dead hook wheels up Balls out all the way to the win lights if it all worked. But I must just enjoy brutality I guess :)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OK that makes sense.
    Running this way would have seriously screwed up all my set ups. I had both cars dialed to hit the shift lites at the stripe. Wound up tight.
    Dead hook wheels up Balls out all the way to the win lights if it all worked. But I must just enjoy brutality I guess :)
    Sounds to me like you really would have enjoyed the heads up scene.
    What you describe is very much the way fast drag radial cars are run. With a slick as the wheel speed increases throughout the run, the tire grows taller and narrower vs a radial that doesn't grow so the contact patch stays more consistent. A lot of stupid fast radial car guys like to dead hook the tire but the chassis works in opposite of a slick tire car. A slick tire car you want to plant the rear and get the nose up for weight transfer etc. However, if you watch a RvW car (radial vs the world) they are set up so the rear chassis separates and rises to keep the nose down (shocks are valved completely different). As I understand it that's because they dead hook and then as the car moves forward they build the wheel speed and need the nose down to keep from wheel standing at half track.
    Fast slick tire cars can be kind of mind blowing how much they abuse the rear tires. We wad them up, spin them to get growth for more MPH, and the contact patch can actually start cupping in the center so you may only be running on the outer 3 or 4 inches of the tire. It's very rare to have tire tracks be wide and smooth. More often the edges of the pattern will have a wavey pattern which we refer to as paddling the tire. That's often a good sign the tire is on that edge between wheel speed and tire shake. The tire shake occurs because the tires are spun so fast and become so distorted they become out of balance and the car basically starts to bounce.
    Dad wears glasses. One time he put his glasses case in the passenger floor and we shook the tires hard, when he got back to the trailer couldn't find his glasses case. We ended up finding it on the package try against the rear window. On slow mo video you could see it bouncing around in the car like a golf ball...until he lifted and the shaking stopped. Another time when it was a true back half car the factory panel on the trans tunnel where the shifter sat, shook the factory screws out and the whole thing was basically just hanging by the shifter cable. Never did find those screws. But rivets fixed that.

Ironhippie

Go Navy
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Avon
    Any of you guys go to the Old Roadway Inn Off Lynhurst and Airport Expressway back when the CarCraft Street Machine Nats used to be held here in Indy (1977-1981). They always had an EPIC Burnout contest in the Parking lot of the inn. Those were some crazy parties back then.

1649794586448.png

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds to me like you really would have enjoyed the heads up scene.
    What you describe is very much the way fast drag radial cars are run. With a slick as the wheel speed increases throughout the run, the tire grows taller and narrower vs a radial that doesn't grow so the contact patch stays more consistent. A lot of stupid fast radial car guys like to dead hook the tire but the chassis works in opposite of a slick tire car. A slick tire car you want to plant the rear and get the nose up for weight transfer etc. However, if you watch a RvW car (radial vs the world) they are set up so the rear chassis separates and rises to keep the nose down (shocks are valved completely different). As I understand it that's because they dead hook and then as the car moves forward they build the wheel speed and need the nose down to keep from wheel standing at half track.
    Fast slick tire cars can be kind of mind blowing how much they abuse the rear tires. We wad them up, spin them to get growth for more MPH, and the contact patch can actually start cupping in the center so you may only be running on the outer 3 or 4 inches of the tire. It's very rare to have tire tracks be wide and smooth. More often the edges of the pattern will have a wavey pattern which we refer to as paddling the tire. That's often a good sign the tire is on that edge between wheel speed and tire shake. The tire shake occurs because the tires are spun so fast and become so distorted they become out of balance and the car basically starts to bounce.
    Dad wears glasses. One time he put his glasses case in the passenger floor and we shook the tires hard, when he got back to the trailer couldn't find his glasses case. We ended up finding it on the package try against the rear window. On slow mo video you could see it bouncing around in the car like a golf ball...until he lifted and the shaking stopped. Another time when it was a true back half car the factory panel on the trans tunnel where the shifter sat, shook the factory screws out and the whole thing was basically just hanging by the shifter cable. Never did find those screws. But rivets fixed that.
    My 70 Camaro was an old Pro Stock car from the 70's. It was bought new and stripped with a handful of miles on it and campaigned heavily. We bought it off the interwebs and had it shipped here from Arizona. It had sat in a barn for many years.
    It ad a weird rear suspension that actually pushed down on the tires when the clutch was dropped. Raised the tail and planted the nose. We figured it was to stop bumper dragging wheel stands. With an auto it was a bit strange but it works OK for what it was. It was so old school it had an Olds rear end with the pumpkin like a ford 9".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Any of you guys go to the Old Roadway Inn Off Lynhurst and Airport Expressway back when the CarCraft Street Machine Nats used to be held here in Indy (1977-1981). They always had an EPIC Burnout contest in the Parking lot of the inn. Those were some crazy parties back then.

View attachment 194361
    Reminds of a more recent time when I was working for TRW and staying at the Adam's Mark in Indy during the Street Rod Nationals. They turned the back parking lot into a place for the hot rods to park without fear of someone in a mini-van banging up their cars. In the evening when we were done working, I would hang out back there.

Better than actually going to the track for the official nationals. The car owners were more laid back, drinking beers and with no crowds it was easy to talk to them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The blue Camaro is the 70 when my buddy Mike had it before we traded him out of it. It was ran on a 2 car team out of a speed shop in Arizona I believe. One (68 Camaro) was Thunder. The 70 was Lightning. I saw both cars at the Nationals in the early 70's
    The turd brown Cuttlas was faster than it looked and had two division 3 bracket finals Wally’s. There is another pic coming if it.
    6C36C0FD-250F-4414-B416-BEAD52FDC323.jpeg20B1BAC6-69A8-498B-99D4-7C3EB5A87AEB.jpeg

Top Bottom