• ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well, it isn't treason... yet.

But it sure looks like a Logan Act violation. Like, one of the most obvious ones I can think of... and remarkably similar (IMHO) to what prompted the Logan Act in the first place!

As I recall the liberal media and anti Trumpers were all incensed when some of the Trump team had some preliminary talks with another country(ies) as they were planning the transition between the election and inauguration. One of their early missiles at denying the results of the election.

Edit... Google to the rescue of my memory (Russia, Russia, Russia):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ted-the-logan-act-what-is-that/?noredirect=on

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/opinion/trump-team-flynn-logan-act.html

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As I recall the liberal media and anti Trumpers were all incensed when some of the Trump team had some preliminary talks with another country(ies) as they were planning the transition between the election and inauguration. One of their early missiles at denying the results of the election.

Edit... Google to the rescue of my memory (Russia, Russia, Russia):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ted-the-logan-act-what-is-that/?noredirect=on

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/04/opinion/trump-team-flynn-logan-act.html

I recall participating in those conversations here.

There's a fine line for a POTUS candidate - a line that is only blurred for that position, basically. Since that person could get the foreign policy obligation, they can start those relationships "early." I think Trump himself, or someone acting on his behalf, would have a good defense to any investigation.

But Kerry at this point is just a citizen. He's got absolutely no role.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Well, my expectation is for Phoenix and Flagstaff going up in fire balls as prep for the Chinese coming out of Mexico.
    But nobody can talk about the narco agreements with the Iranian and Chinese militaries so OK, sweet peaceful slumber.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I recall participating in those conversations here.

There's a fine line for a POTUS candidate - a line that is only blurred for that position, basically. Since that person could get the foreign policy obligation, they can start those relationships "early." I think Trump himself, or someone acting on his behalf, would have a good defense to any investigation.

But Kerry at this point is just a citizen. He's got absolutely no role.

Is it any different than Jimmy Carter's role as a "private ambassador"? Hasn't he pulled this kind of stuff too?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Is it any different than Jimmy Carter's role as a "private ambassador"? Hasn't he pulled this kind of stuff too?

Not that I'm familiar with, but I'm open to specific reporting about it.

From what I'm familiar with, Carter has been involved in humanitarian Non-Government Organizations ("NGOs") like Habitat for Humanity. Those, along with businesses, don't (or at least aren't supposed to) participate in policy, but can participate in overseas implementation of policy.

For instance, if the US has a policy of subsidizing AIDS drug distribution in Africa, Americans can work for those entities to make that happen. Those Americans can support that policy and advocate for the policy, but it is ultimately up to the US State Department to decide that is our policy.

Importantly, there's an organization involved that is authorized by the State Department. I'm not sure Kerry has the benefit of that.

Oh, and the UN "special ambassador" thing is a total gray area, too.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not that I'm familiar with, but I'm open to specific reporting about it.

From what I'm familiar with, Carter has been involved in humanitarian Non-Government Organizations ("NGOs") like Habitat for Humanity. Those, along with businesses, don't (or at least aren't supposed to) participate in policy, but can participate in overseas implementation of policy.

For instance, if the US has a policy of subsidizing AIDS drug distribution in Africa, Americans can work for those entities to make that happen. Those Americans can support that policy and advocate for the policy, but it is ultimately up to the US State Department to decide that is our policy.

Importantly, there's an organization involved that is authorized by the State Department. I'm not sure Kerry has the benefit of that.

Oh, and the UN "special ambassador" thing is a total gray area, too.

I may be misremembering. :) I was thinking he had involved himself with some negotiations with another country at one time, but I could be totally off base.

ETA: Maybe this is what I was thinking of...

The story behind Carter's North Korean trip - CNN.com

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interesting tidbit from the previous article:

"Sources knowledgeable about Carter's trip to Pyongyang this week to free American Aijalon Mahli Gomes expect the former president to take the same approach he used with Kim Il Sung in dealing with his son, current leader Kim Jong Il. Carter, they say, will give the North Korean leader the respect he craves, giving him a face-saving way to release Gomes"

Funny... Trump catches holy hell for this, but I don't recall anyone criticizing Carter for the same tactic.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting tidbit from the previous article:

"Sources knowledgeable about Carter's trip to Pyongyang this week to free American Aijalon Mahli Gomes expect the former president to take the same approach he used with Kim Il Sung in dealing with his son, current leader Kim Jong Il. Carter, they say, will give the North Korean leader the respect he craves, giving him a face-saving way to release Gomes"

Funny... Trump catches holy hell for this, but I don't recall anyone criticizing Carter for the same tactic.

Well, Jimmy Carter is just better at sucking up than Trump. ;)

But more seriously, part of my criticism of Trump in this regard is that he appeared to be doing the same things that past administrations have done. So, in a sense, by doing what Carter did, he was feeding NK's expectation that they'd be able to pull the rug out from under us like they'd done before.

What Trump did that mixed things up was to not require multi-lateral talks. His willingness to meet 1-1 was a huge change. It also appears to be paying off. (Was going to post something in the NK thread about that, too.)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, Jimmy Carter is just better at sucking up than Trump. ;)

But more seriously, part of my criticism of Trump in this regard is that he appeared to be doing the same things that past administrations have done. So, in a sense, by doing what Carter did, he was feeding NK's expectation that they'd be able to pull the rug out from under us like they'd done before.

What Trump did that mixed things up was to not require multi-lateral talks. His willingness to meet 1-1 was a huge change. It also appears to be paying off. (Was going to post something in the NK thread about that, too.)

Maybe Trump is a fan of Will Rogers... :)

willrogers1-2x.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Quick note: many of the people - including some of the governments - in that part of the world believe that Daesh was created by the US.

Al Qaeda, too, for that matter.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Quick note: many of the people - including some of the governments - in that part of the world believe that Daesh was created by the US.

Al Qaeda, too, for that matter.

barack obama responded with "no comment".

john mccain was contacted for comment but he has as of this writing not returned the call.

Top Bottom