• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't trust a white guy who still uses oil on his hair.

giphy.gif

Edit: From Mark Knoller - The WH seeks assurance it will have the votes, if needed, to sustain a Pres veto of a resolution disapproving the Iran nuke deal.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I just watched the Q/A with Garrett. It was a dumb question in the way it was phrased. Garrett was grandstanding. His only future question ought to be: Do you want fries wid dat? at his new job.

One guy is a spy.

One is a WaPo reporter. Could nosy US journalists be viewed as spies in a country without the first amendment? (rhetorical)

One is a Christian proselytizer.

One is Iranian born, but a US citizen.

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    So, your problem is with how he asked the question and not with the fact that the administration didn't even try to ask for their release? You are unhappy that he was grandstanding at Obama's press conference whose whole purpose was to grandstand?

This is the same president who had gave up 5 high-level terrorists to get back an American deserter. Seems an interesting contrast. Pay a high price to get back a single American in one case and pay an even higher price in another instance and not even try to get Americans back.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just watched the Q/A with Garrett. It was a dumb question in the way it was phrased. Garrett was grandstanding. His only future question ought to be: Do you want fries wid dat? at his new job.

One guy is a spy.

One is a WaPo reporter. Could nosy US journalists be viewed as spies in a country without the first amendment? (rhetorical)

One is a Christian proselytizer.

One is Iranian born, but a US citizen.

For once I agree with CNN. It was a fair question. I get the feeling that any deal could have been struck with the Iranians and supporters would dismiss legitimate questions from skeptics. I also get the feeling that closing a deal--ANY DEAL--was a bigger goal than securing the best interests of the US. I think a negotiator more savvy than that ***** John Kerry would have done us better.

That said, I think Republicans would have crapped on any deal made by this administration, even if it actually achieved the best interests of the US. This is one area where I think Lindsey Graham actually made some sense.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    So, your problem is with how he asked the question and not with the fact that the administration didn't even try to ask for their release? You are unhappy that he was grandstanding at Obama's press conference whose whole purpose was to grandstand?

This is the same president who had gave up 5 high-level terrorists to get back an American deserter. Seems an interesting contrast. Pay a high price to get back a single American in one case and pay an even higher price in another instance and not even try to get Americans back.

What makes you think that the Secretary of State is multiplexing?

I would assume that there are backchannel negotiations going on. There always is.

Easy to sit around in a Panda suit and monday morning quarterback the process.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

How would we even know what the administration is doing in regards to the 4 prisoners? Sure, given this deal, it's fair game to talk about, but there's no way to know anything about how the situation is being handled.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You put sanctions on me, even if there is a justifiable reason, and I'm not going to cooperate on returning your spies. Ease the restrictions, we'll see what can be done.

This is so basic, I hate even responding.

As to the US hikers in the Hindu Kush....I'd have let them rot. Darwin Awards posthumously to the families.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    What makes you think that the Secretary of State is multiplexing?

I would assume that there are backchannel negotiations going on. There always is.

So, your assumption is that after the hundreds of billions that the Iranians are getting, the minimal restrictions on the nuclear program and the laughably bad inspection program imposed, that these four people would have been a stumbling block? That more needs to be paid to get them back? I wish I could be shocked if that were true.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How would we even know what the administration is doing in regards to the 4 prisoners? Sure, given this deal, it's fair game to talk about, but there's no way to know anything about how the situation is being handled.

What in the last 7 years would lead you to have any confidence that it is being handled at all, let alone effectively. F**kups gonna f**k up. Why should we expect anything less?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I thought it would be easy to look up, but it's not.....I'd like to know how many "citizen in trouble" situations that the State Department handles daily. I expect it is in the hundreds of requests across the world, but I cannot verify it.

My only experience is a friend in jail in a NATO country. Napoleanic Code. The State Department couldn't do much.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, we do have some idea.

In agreeing to lift the sanctions, we specifically agree to lift travel restrictions for specific people in Iran. With even a marginal degree of reciprocity, we should have gotten specific concessions on USians held in Iran.

To my knowledge - and I'm open to correction - we are not holding any Iranians against their wishes.

Top Bottom