Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Uh, why are you asking me why cultural misappropriation is viewed as racist? Do you not know anybody else to have these conversations with? Lol.

Because you mentioned "misappropriation". And I wanted to ask, not just you but INGO at large, why is cultural appropriation bad? I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion on it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As it turns out, no. The details of the story make that clear. I do understand why it was offensive, and at the risk of re-offending, I'll say this about that. Offense can only be taken, not given. To be offended you must first decide that the person means it in an offensive way, and then you have to decide that offends you.

In this case, there's no evidence I've seen that the professor discounted the capitalization of "indigenous" because of racial bias. There's no evidence that he systematically preferred white students over black students.

"Micro-aggression" was a term invented to insert racial components in situations like this when there aren't any otherwise. I don't accept the premise of micro-aggressions as offensive mechanisms. It asserts that the offended person has not committed the same act by taking offense to it.

Huh? The professor made no mention about Ebonics. The story mentions nothing about Ebonics? Are you not following as to what started this in the first place?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because you mentioned "misappropriation". And I wanted to ask, not just you but INGO at large, why is cultural appropriation bad? I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion on it.

I don't hold that view. Hence why I called the people who had issue with Iggy, "idiots."

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Because breaking down barriers between cultures is evidently a horrible idea when you want everyone to stay in their reservations so that you can play one side against the other come election season.

Cultural appropriation has been a thing since time immemorial - we got algebra from the Arabs, the basic notion of Democracy from the Greeks, newspapers/concrete/roads from the Romans, etc.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    don't mind me

just adding fuel to this dying fire

CfS8a1bVIAAYVwd.jpg:large

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PayPal Cancels Plans For Global Operations Center In NC Over Transgender Law

Yet they continue to do business in dozens of countries where being gay is a crime.

After North Carolina passed what some are calling an “anti-LGBT law,” a handful of company heads have come down on the state and its lawmakers. Pepsi-Co CEO, Hewlett-Packard, Qualcomm, and others are already on record in opposition.

The most recent company to show its disapproval is the online money transfer company, PayPal. In response to the passage of the North Carolina law, the company has said it has ceased plans to open its new global operations center in Charolette.

Also...

Black Lives Matter co-founder tweets about killing "men and white folks"

CfSSc1rW8AAkO6Y.jpg:large

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom