• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Silly professor. He was judging the college-level paper by English standards, not Ebonics.

Ebonics? Have you read the paper(s), or are you just saying that because the person in the picture is black? Is bad grammar and spelling only a flaw of those who use ebonics? News to me.

Kut (points out your bias)

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Here's what comprises a "hostile climate" these days.

XRxXP2r.jpg

The "students" ought to be going after all the teachers before university who never corrected them, and their parents (I know, I'm assuming here). At this point, they should be thankinghis prof for actually giving a d*mn.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ebonics? Have you read the paper(s), or are you just saying that because the person in the picture is black? Is bad grammar and spelling only a flaw of those who use ebonics? News to me.

I used the term ebonics because:
    1- It applies to the only racial group that is acting like spoiled children in this story.
    2- At no point did the article (did you actually read it?) say that only black student papers were corrected for grammar/spelling.

Val Rust, a professor of education and information, was the target of the protestors for what they feel was racial insensitivity. Describing themselves as “aggrieved minority students,” they claim that the professor was wrong to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar in the papers of black students.

This is strictly another cry bully protest. No one can point out where the professor actually was factually wrong or inconsistent in his treatment of these students. There is no reason why this professor should expect less of his black students than any others in his class. Shame on you Kutnupe14. This was a very weak race-baiting effort on your part.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

No. We have no idea if the English paper was written in Ebonics. I remember 20 years ago listening to George Wills argue with a proponent of Ebonics on PBS. I forget what her name was but she was a prominent lefty activist and person of color. She argued then that correcting black people's use of Ebonics is wrong because as a cultural language it is just like any other dialect of English. As an example, it wouldn't be fair to judge Australian English usage against American rules. Wills argued that Ebonics is an informal cultural language with no thesaurus, no dictionary, no written rules of pronunciation or structure. Ebonics is not simply another dialect of English like British English, Australian, or whatever. And in the US it is appropriate to use American English as a standard for English.

Remembering that debate and then hearing of a black student making a similar argument, I have to admit that it was my first thought. But that's actually giving the kid the benefit of the doubt. Making an argument that Ebonics is an acceptable English dialect is at least an intellectually honest argument, even if it's false.

It is absurd to say that certain racial groups must be graded less stringently than others because of skin color. That IS indeed the soft racism of low expectations.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I used the term ebonics because:
    1- It applies to the only racial group that is acting like spoiled children in this story.
    2- At no point did the article (did you actually read it?) say that only black student papers were corrected for grammar/spelling.

This is strictly another cry bully protest. No one can point out where the professor actually was factually wrong or inconsistent in his treatment of these students. There is no reason why this professor should expect less of his black students than any others in his class. Shame on you Kutnupe14. This was a very weak race-baiting effort on your part.

No, shame on you for expecting that I would accept this poor excuse. You should know, better than most, that I'm going to look (or in this case, already have looked) into the matter. Unfortunately (for you), you first point is incorrect. Even if we can agree that the students were acting like "spoiled children," the students consisted of more than the single ethnicity you are indicating.

In your second point, the situation which started this whole issue, occurred in a doctorate level class, and stemmed from the use of the "indigenous." The student in question, was attempting to make a point by capitalizing the world "indigenous," much the same way the words "Black," "White," or "Asian" or capitalized when referring to people, and the professor dinged him on it. So, there was not any point this particular student used a the Black dialect known as "Ebonics" within his paper.

Your post, either, makes an assumption about this student's intelligence, in the fact that you would believe that he would use spoken Black dialect, and transcribe it into a written doctorate paper or you were simply trying illustrate a bit of humor, without considering how that would paint you to a person of color.
    You saw a black face and saw "grammar and punctuation," and immediately.... without having facts to rely on, made the "Ebonics" conclusion. I think we all know that if this had been a white student, it's highly unlikely that reference to spoken dialect would've been made.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. We have no idea if the English paper was written in Ebonics. I remember 20 years ago listening to George Wills argue with a proponent of Ebonics on PBS. I forget what her name was but she was a prominent lefty activist and person of color. She argued then that correcting black people's use of Ebonics is wrong because as a cultural language it is just like any other dialect of English. As an example, it wouldn't be fair to judge Australian English usage against American rules. Wills argued that Ebonics is an informal cultural language with no thesaurus, no dictionary, no written rules of pronunciation or structure. Ebonics is not simply another dialect of English like British English, Australian, or whatever. And in the US it is appropriate to use American English as a standard for English.

Remembering that debate and then hearing of a black student making a similar argument, I have to admit that it was my first thought. But that's actually giving the kid the benefit of the doubt. Making an argument that Ebonics is an acceptable English dialect is at least an intellectually honest argument, even if it's false.

It is absurd to say that certain racial groups must be graded less stringently than others because of skin color. That IS indeed the soft racism of low expectations.

I don't anyone is asking that the students are graded less stringently because they are students of color. I don't think college students, least of all a DOCTORATE/(doctoral?) student, would expect that the use of Ebonics would be acceptable in paper.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't anyone is asking that the students are graded less stringently because they are students of color. I don't think college students, least of all a DOCTORATE/(doctoral?) student, would expect that the use of Ebonics would be acceptable in paper.

Are you saying this is a legitimate accusation of racism? Because the student seems to think so. If it is racism, then the professor would have had to systematically overlooked the same kinds of spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes for white students.

If a doctoral candidate expects that Ebonics is unacceptable in an English paper, shouldn't he also expect that spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes are also unacceptable in an English paper in a doctoral program?

Absent any proof that racism occurred I have to assume that given the context of racial activism, which this is (he's a member of a racial activist group), what does that imply?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

First of all...."Ebonics"? Is this 1997?

Second....and unrelated, jumping back the cultural appropriation thing. Iggy Azalea....she seems to get a pass for some reason.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are you saying this is a legitimate accusation of racism? Because the student seems to think so. If it is racism, then the professor would have had to systematically overlooked the same kinds of spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes for white students.

If a doctoral candidate expects that Ebonics is unacceptable in an English paper, shouldn't he also expect that spelling, grammar and punctuation mistakes are also unacceptable in an English paper in a doctoral program?

Absent any proof that racism occurred I have to assume that given the context of racial activism, which this is (he's a member of a racial activist group), what does that imply?

"Racism?" Did the students actually cite racism? I am unaware that this professor was called racist. I may have missed it, but I can not recall seeing that charge leveled against him.

And don't play coy with me Jamil, there is an obviously difference between a black student being accused of submitting a paper written in the Ebonic dialect, rather than simply making punctuation or grammatical errors.

Further, the student was trying to make a point concerning the capitalization of the word "indigenous." It was done completely on purpose. If one is going to make an argument about how the classification of "indigenous" persons should be held on a equal status of say "Black," or "White," then the argument is weakened, if the author of the paper refers to them as "indigenous," rather than "Indigenous," does it not? It's fair to ask, that if a professor read the paper thoroughly, why would he have not understood this? The failure wasn't an unwitting mistake of the author capitalizing incorrectly, he didn't do that. The failure was on the professor in that he disagreed with the student's assessment.

To give you an example, it is commonly held, that the deity of the Christian Bible is referred to as "God," with a capital G. If I were an atheist, writing a paper about atheism, and referred to God, as "god," grammatically, I'd be incorrect.... but I doubt you'd find many professors, understanding the pointing trying to be made dinging the author of the intentional misuse.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First of all...."Ebonics"? Is this 1997?

Second....and unrelated, jumping back the cultural appropriation thing. Iggy Azalea....she seems to get a pass for some reason.

While being insanely fine, Iggy was given grief for cultural misappropriation.... by idiots, I might add.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Racism?" Did the students actually cite racism? I am unaware that this professor was called racist. I may have missed it, but I can not recall seeing that charge leveled against him.

And don't play coy with me Jamil, there is an obviously difference between a black student being accused of submitting a paper written in the Ebonic dialect, rather than simply making punctuation or grammatical errors.

Further, the student was trying to make a point concerning the capitalization of the word "indigenous." It was done completely on purpose. If one is going to make an argument about how the classification of "indigenous" persons should be held on a equal status of say "Black," or "White," then the argument is weakened, if the author of the paper refers to them as "indigenous," rather than "Indigenous," does it not? It's fair to ask, that if a professor read the paper thoroughly, why would he have not understood this? The failure wasn't an unwitting mistake of the author capitalizing incorrectly, he didn't do that. The failure was on the professor in that he disagreed with the student's assessment.

To give you an example, it is commonly held, that the deity of the Christian Bible is referred to as "God," with a capital G. If I were an atheist, writing a paper about atheism, and referred to God, as "god," grammatically, I'd be incorrect.... but I doubt you'd find many professors, understanding the pointing trying to be made dinging the author of the intentional misuse.

They're not upset because the prof disagreed on the capitalization of one word. That was just an example they gave. They're upset because they think he creates a hostile racial climate: they said that. They accused him of micro-agressions: they said that. My honest opinion is that they have their feelers turned up too high. If you have to make up a word like "micro-aggression" to describe the racism you see, you're probably not very objective about race.

So, I'll ask again. Do you think this is a legitimate accusation of racism? Twenty five members of Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color don't make you the target of their sit in for a simple disagreement on whether their capitalization of "Indigenous" was proper.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They're not upset because the prof disagreed on the capitalization of one word. That was just an example they gave. They're upset because they think he creates a hostile racial climate: they said that. They accused him of micro-agressions: they said that. My honest opinion is that they have their feelers turned up too high. If you have to make up a word like "micro-aggression" to describe the racism you see, you're probably not very objective about race.

So, I'll ask again. Do you think this is a legitimate accusation of racism? Twenty five members of Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color don't make you the target of their sit in for a simple disagreement on whether their capitalization of "Indigenous" was proper.

If your asking me if I think they're too sensitive, then yes, I think they are. If you think that the students are accusing him of racism, I do not. You don't have to be racist to say some racial things. Heck, you don't even have to understand why something is racial. INGO, has plenty of members who say/do some pretty offensive stuff, without understanding why it's viewed that way.

So now I get to asking a questioned. Was the assignment of "Ebonics," to the student justified? And if not, do you understand why it was offensive?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    While being insanely fine, Iggy was given grief for cultural misappropriation.... by idiots, I might add.

First, the term isn't cultural misappropriation because it seems any "appropriation" of culture to this generation is misappropriation.

Second, why is cultural appropriation even bad? How is that racism?

What's wrong with admiring what other groups do, regardless of race, and liking that, or emulating that? For example, I love real jazz, which is undeniably Black. You can say I've culturally appropriated that all you want. So What? (see what I did there?) My love for that kind of music hasn't harmed anyone. I've helped many black musicians make money over the years because I actually prefer to pay for my music rather than steal it. And I've enjoyed jazz music from some White jazz artists too. I have a collection of jazz from various Black and White artists, and I appreciate the contribution both races have made. White jazz musicians have added to Jazz by their cultural appropriation and the Jazz culture than if it were only for Blacks by Blacks. No one lost anything.

There are a few contexts in which I think it's bad. For example, when it is accompanied by dishonesty. When a white woman lies to say she is black so that she can gain particular employment that would otherwise be unavailable--Rachel Dolezal--that's bad. Or, it's bad when a white man lies to say he's black--Shaun King--to gain a social status from a group that he would otherwise not earn.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    First, the term isn't cultural misappropriation because it seems any "appropriation" of culture to this generation is misappropriation.

Second, why is cultural appropriation even bad? How is that racism?

What's wrong with admiring what other groups do, regardless of race, and liking that, or emulating that? For example, I love real jazz, which is undeniably Black. You can say I've culturally appropriated that all you want. So What? (see what I did there?) My love for that kind of music hasn't harmed anyone. I've helped many black musicians make money over the years because I actually prefer to pay for my music rather than steal it. And I've enjoyed jazz music from some White jazz artists too. I have a collection of jazz from various Black and White artists, and I appreciate the contribution both races have made. White jazz musicians have added to Jazz by their cultural appropriation and the Jazz culture than if it were only for Blacks by Blacks. No one lost anything.

There are a few contexts in which I think it's bad. For example, when it is accompanied by dishonesty. When a white woman lies to say she is black so that she can gain particular employment that would otherwise be unavailable--Rachel Dolezal--that's bad. Or, it's bad when a white man lies to say he's black--Shaun King--to gain a social status from a group that he would otherwise not earn.

Uh, why are you asking me why cultural misappropriation is viewed as racist? Do you not know anybody else to have these conversations with? Lol.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If your asking me if I think they're too sensitive, then yes, I think they are. If you think that the students are accusing him of racism, I do not. You don't have to be racist to say some racial things. Heck, you don't even have to understand why something is racial. INGO, has plenty of members who say/do some pretty offensive stuff, without understanding why it's viewed that way.

So now I get to asking a questioned. Was the assignment of "Ebonics," to the student justified? And if not, do you understand why it was offensive?

As it turns out, no. The details of the story make that clear. I do understand why it was offensive, and at the risk of re-offending, I'll say this about that. Offense can only be taken, not given. To be offended you must first decide that the person means it in an offensive way, and then you have to decide that offends you.

In this case, there's no evidence I've seen that the professor discounted the capitalization of "indigenous" because of racial bias. There's no evidence that he systematically preferred white students over black students.

"Micro-aggression" was a term invented to insert racial components in situations like this when there aren't any otherwise. I don't accept the premise of micro-aggressions as offensive mechanisms. It asserts that the offended person has not committed the same act by taking offense to it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom