88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Mornin 88.

That sounds like a lot of work for what I thought was a pretty much new gun?

It's a 2004 build and while it does not look like it was run a lot, it does look like it has never been really cleaned. I think there's a lot of shipping goo still in there, mixed with dirt and oil. I'm starting to wonder if the easiest way to make a CZ unreliable is to build a version in .40. I do need to frreshen the mag springs in the mags it was shipped with.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Morning folks! :coffee:

It's quiet in here this morning. I hope that means that everyone that went shooting last night had a good time and is sleeping in this morning to celebrate.

I've started to take down and polish the SP01C/40. Wow, what a cruddy, dirty gun. It's probably the dirtiest gun I've run across in a while. So far, the frame has been completey stripped and cleaned and I've begun smoothing the inner frame walls. Once those are polished, I'm thinking of cold bluing them and then polishing them again to bring the polish level up and help with an oil film retention. Next up will be the trigger bar and then the sear cage after that. I'll polish the pins and am going to cut the hammer hooks down to .020. The sear can use a bit of polish too, but I'll probably just pull that across a strop a couple of times. My goal is to polish any surface that moves against another surface. Once that is all done, I'll see how she runs and will troubleshoot it from a good, clean, polished state.

I am watching this project with great interest. This is a model that I have never owned and there aren't too many CZ models that I haven't at one time or another.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's a 2004 build and while it does not look like it was run a lot, it does look like it has never been really cleaned. I think there's a lot of shipping goo still in there, mixed with dirt and oil. I'm starting to wonder if the easiest way to make a CZ unreliable is to build a version in .40. I do need to frreshen the mag springs in the mags it was shipped with.
    Ah. I do not know what I was thinking.... I don't understand people that don't clean up their firearms. I hope you get this worked out. You have quite the track record for attracting the "project" CZs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ah. I do not know what I was thinking.... I don't understand people that don't clean up their firearms. I hope you get this worked out. You have quite the track record for attracting the "project" CZs.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm attracting 'project' CZs or if my ineptitude is creating them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I stopped by my LGS last night to fondle a few CZs. One of the ones they just got in was a 452 Finale. It's the last of the CZ 452s being built and they are limited to only a 1000 gun run. What a beautiful rifle. It has a walnut stock that's hand checkered, a deep blue barrel and nicely done scroll work engraving. Even the scope rings are engraved. The bolt has been jeweled too. As beautiful as it is, I just could not bring myself to even seriously consider spending $1200 on a .22 bolt action rifle. I know that the gun is worth the money, but it just does not fit what I want. They also got another PCR in along with an Omega suppressor ready 75B in Urban Gray. The PCR is interesting to me, but I don't know why. If I look at it as a decent $570 carry pistol, it's a good deal. If I think of it as a completely Cajunized pistol with TFX Pros and VZ grips for close to $1100, then it's much less interesting. Yet, if I bought it, that's exactly what I would turn it into. That $1100 would be much better spent on an RZ45 Heritage or even a CZ 1911 with a couple of upgrades.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I stopped by my LGS last night to fondle a few CZs. One of the ones they just got in was a 452 Finale. It's the last of the CZ 452s being built and they are limited to only a 1000 gun run. What a beautiful rifle. It has a walnut stock that's hand checkered, a deep blue barrel and nicely done scroll work engraving. Even the scope rings are engraved. The bolt has been jeweled too. As beautiful as it is, I just could not bring myself to even seriously consider spending $1200 on a .22 bolt action rifle. I know that the gun is worth the money, but it just does not fit what I want. They also got another PCR in along with an Omega suppressor ready 75B in Urban Gray. The PCR is interesting to me, but I don't know why. If I look at it as a decent $570 carry pistol, it's a good deal. If I think of it as a completely Cajunized pistol with TFX Pros and VZ grips for close to $1100, then it's much less interesting. Yet, if I bought it, that's exactly what I would turn it into. That $1100 would be much better spent on an RZ45 Heritage or even a CZ 1911 with a couple of upgrades.

While everything you say is true, the PCR, IMHO, is CZs very best carry gun. Well, at least of the readily available currently produced models. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I will admit that there is always something a bit more special about a gun that you need to coax into working well as compared to one that just runs from the get go. I think that's why I like the 40P as much as I do. The gun and I have come to an understanding. I'm just getting to that point with the P07 in .40 too. It's only had about 200 to 300 trouble free rounds since the major issues, so it's too early to bond with it, yet if it keeps running well it could become a favorite.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom