• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    After my Cerakote factory adventures the last couple nights, I am looking forward to some relaxation this evening. No surprises tonight, at least I don't think there will be...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Curious...from start to finish, how long do you think it takes to Cerakote an average gun?
    The past couple nights I've only done frames. So far about 2 hrs to go from assembled frame to in the oven for baking. I have been doing the quick cure at 45 mins, standard cure is 2 hours. We'll call it about 4 hours total to do a frame from start to finish. There are some steps which cannot be rushed, some things that could go faster with time and experience.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That's a pretty quick turn around time Rusty. When I do Duracoat, it's easily 5 hours by the time I dawdle my way into getting the thing in the oven. Then again, I'm easily distracted and part of that 5 hours is spent trying to remember what I started out doing in the first place. Still 2 hours from start to cooking is really good time.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Last night everything was fresh in my mind and I knew what I needed to do. The first night I had to change the media over in the cabinet and get my bearings. I spent a lot of time wasting color by experimenting.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm planning to fill a couple of the unsightly roll marks on the K2, only keeping what's necessary. Colors are completely up in the air. I kinda wanna go crazy with it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What are you filling with...???
    I don't know yet! Open to suggestions. I am looking at a US Chemical product called All Metal, it's rated at like 400*, which is needed for the baking process. I was planning to experiment with the K2 before starting in on a much more important project that I cannot screw up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't know yet! Open to suggestions. I am looking at a US Chemical product called All Metal, it's rated at like 400*, which is needed for the baking process. I was planning to experiment with the K2 before starting in on a much more important project that I cannot screw up.

Thing is will it expand at the same rate as the gun in the oven. Might not stay put.
    Then again it might.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thing is will it expand at the same rate as the gun in the oven. Might not stay put.
    Then again it might.
    Exactly! Allen couldn't recommend anything to me, he said the main problems he's had have been porosity. Told me if I found anything to let him know. I've seen people recommend all sorts of stuff from JB Weld to body filler...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've recently got a hardon for a matched pair of single action wheel guns in .45 Colt complete with matching belt and holster rig. I'm gonna need the proper attire to go with that as well.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom