churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    100_5875_zpsw3oqxkc7.jpg

I traded my Champion off today so I could keep the Phantom for the spouse.

This is 2 champions that I have built up that get snatched away before I can enjoy them.

To solve this I am looking at trading the AR I just finished for another Champion.

I will be the looser on this one by a bit but I want another Champion and by God in heaven and all the saints this one will stay with me.....Maybe........hopefully.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah, they definitely wouldn't double disc grind those flats. If you get a glass backing for your abrasive media, you'd be surprised what you see when you start polishing on things you think are flat. For a non-functional area on a 1911 in that price range, I'm not surprised at all. Their tolerance on that has to be pretty loose.

The slide was defiantly not flat. High and low spots all over the place. Not enough pressure being placed on the wood to cause it to flex. I found it odd as well that the slide flats were not flat, but such is life. It's done now, after pics were posted first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, they definitely wouldn't double disc grind those flats. If you get a glass backing for your abrasive media, you'd be surprised what you see when you start polishing on things you think are flat. For a non-functional area on a 1911 in that price range, I'm not surprised at all. Their tolerance on that has to be pretty loose.

Most every MilSpec I have ever built up has been a rolling hill side. Set one up in a good 3 axis and check it for straight. It is hilarious.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I traded my Champion off today so I could keep the Phantom for the spouse.

This is 2 champions that I have built up that get snatched away before I can enjoy them.

To solve this I am looking at trading the AR I just finished for another Champion.

I will be the looser on this one by a bit but I want another Champion and by God in heaven and all the saints this one will stay with me.....Maybe........hopefully.
    The one in the classies? I saw that pop up for trade and thought of you. :D

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    :thumbsup:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    The slide was defiantly not flat. High and low spots all over the place. Not enough pressure being placed on the wood to cause it to flex. I found it odd as well that the slide flats were not flat, but such is life. It's done now, after pics were posted first.

I'll bet Allen M could flatten and polish it up sweet if you wanted to go that far.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd expect they mill those flats pretty quick and dirty. No worries until you use a flat as a datum for locating for your rails.....but a good engineer wouldn't do that.....would we :laugh:

Most every MilSpec I have ever built up has been a rolling hill side. Set one up in a good 3 axis and check it for straight. It is hilarious.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Rusty, the Ruger looks amazing. You're skills are impressive. I can do grunt work, but making things look nice isn't my strong suit. I think I am nominating you for future custom work on my stuff.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Got my CMD together. Really happy with the way it turned out. I am not a fan of the Ruger laser etching so I decided it needed to go. Also removed the warning label on the bottom of the frame. Took quite a bit of work, but worth every second.

Just waiting on Heinie sights now.

Really looks great. Very nice work.
    Be careful though, you might get drafted into doing a few more for some people around here!
    Is that a glass/bead blast finish?
    Doesn't look painted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom