Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Really looks great. Very nice work.
    Be careful though, you might get drafted into doing a few more for some people around here!
    Is that a glass/bead blast finish?
    Doesn't look painted.
    Thanks. Yes sir, glass bead blast. That's the main reason I chose this Ruger for a new carry piece. I wanted to be able to 'refinish' it if and when it get rust spots or scratches without having to go though a spray on finish everytime. Hard to get a more durable finish than bare stainless. ;)

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So I'm curious. How hard is it to do a "melted" job and bead blast my Springer Loaded. I'm interested in getting rid of all the sharp edges on the corners and such. Would mine be able to have that bead blasted finish like Rusty's Ruger?

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    So I'm curious. How hard is it to do a "melted" job and bead blast my Springer Loaded. I'm interested in getting rid of all the sharp edges on the corners and such. Would mine be able to have that bead blasted finish like Rusty's Ruger?

If it's stainless, then yes
    The term you are referring to is called "de-horning"

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes sir. There are varying degrees of 'melting'. A simple 'de-horn' would be just taking the sharp edge off and rounding the corners. A true 'melt' gets a little heavier with a bench grinder to remove a lot more material and completely smooth it out. It would all come down to how far you wanted to go and before I would be feel comfortable doing such a thing, I'd need to practice. Maybe an RIA would suffice first as a project.

Morning folks. I'm in for a long one today, later this afternoon I will begin painting a 1969 Roadrunner that I've been working on off and on since August 2014. Exciting day!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes sir. There are varying degrees of 'melting'. A simple 'de-horn' would be just taking the sharp edge off and rounding the corners. A true 'melt' gets a little heavier with a bench grinder to remove a lot more material and completely smooth it out. It would all come down to how far you wanted to go and before I would be feel comfortable doing such a thing, I'd need to practice. Maybe an RIA would suffice first as a project.

Morning folks. I'm in for a long one today, later this afternoon I will begin painting a 1969 Roadrunner that I've been working on off and on since August 2014. Exciting day!

That is a butt load of work RH both on the gun and the Road Chicken.

I am doing a melt on a 1911 right now.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That is a butt load of work RH both on the gun and the Road Chicken.

I am doing a melt on a 1911 right now.
    Lots and lots of work... Got somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 hours in just the body.... :faint: I've rubbed and fondled that car so much, been all up under her skirt, had her cut apart.... Poor girl has been through a lot...

Would be interested in seeing that melt project.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Lots and lots of work... Got somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 hours in just the body.... :faint: I've rubbed and fondled that car so much, been all up under her skirt, had her cut apart.... Poor girl has been through a lot...

Would be interested in seeing that melt project.

It has languished lately as I have had so much else on my plate. Was to bee a deep winter project but no deep winter as yet and I am upside freaking down in honey-do's.
    I need to spend some more time on the aluminum plate with it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

BA, the AR looks great! I'd say that your house is well protected with that in play.

Today is a big day Rusty! Putting paint down is a huge milestone. To me, it's when a project goes from being a bunch of tasks, to being a car again. What color are you going with?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

BA, the AR looks great! I'd say that your house is well protected with that in play.

Today is a big day Rusty! Putting paint down is a huge milestone. To me, it's when a project goes from being a bunch of tasks, to being a car again. What color are you going with?
    The original Rally Green Metallic. A spring only color in '69 on the RR, which interestingly enough Mopar stole the color from a '67 Camaro..... It will be nice to see some color on it, clear coat won't happen until tomorrow morning, because the last time we started painting a car Friday afternoon we didn't get home until after 1am...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The original Rally Green Metallic. A spring only color in '69 on the RR, which interestingly enough Mopar stole the color from a '67 Camaro..... It will be nice to see some color on it, clear coat won't happen until tomorrow morning, because the last time we started painting a car Friday afternoon we didn't get home until after 1am...

I love that color. I had (For a very brief time....yes, a car flipper) a camaro sporting that color.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I love that color. I had (For a very brief time....yes, a car flipper) a camaro sporting that color.
    I like greens and this is one of my favorites. Most people nowadays hate green colors and it's somewhat rare even when restoring that the customers will stay with green, but this guy is the original owner so there was only one choice, he picked the color back in '69.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I like greens and this is one of my favorites. Most people nowadays hate green colors and it's somewhat rare even when restoring that the customers will stay with green, but this guy is the original owner so there was only one choice, he picked the color back in '69.

I bought a new Olds 442 W-30 in 1970. It was a sky Blue and do not remember the name of the color.
    I like blue but I saw a dark Jade on a Chevel and went ape :poop: over it.

I hated the damn wing on the trunk so off to the bone yard for a rear deck lid, into the paint shop (ours. It was a converted garage but the paint systems of 1970's were not as touchy) and out with the sand paper. I wish there were still some pics of the car but the 1st "X" was a bit hateful.
    It looked seriously cool. Dark Jade metallic with white 442 stripes rolling on Crager SS. Black guts. I owned that car longer than anything else. Sold it in 1980 or 81 with 80K on the clock.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I bought a new Olds 442 W-30 in 1970. It was a sky Blue and do not remember the name of the color.
    I like blue but I saw a dark Jade on a Chevel and went ape :poop: over it.

I hated the damn wing on the trunk so off to the bone yard for a rear deck lid, into the paint shop (ours. It was a converted garage but the paint systems of 1970's were not as touchy) and out with the sand paper. I wish there were still some pics of the car but the 1st "X" was a bit hateful.
    It looked seriously cool. Dark Jade metallic with white 442 stripes rolling on Crager SS. Black guts. I owned that car longer than anything else. Sold it in 1980 or 81 with 80K on the clock.
    I know which colors you're talking about, that blue is my favorite on those 442's, but that dark green is very pretty too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm setting my garage goal for 2016 to have the '68 Spider chassis ready for paint by October. There's a lot of work to do to get there, but it's doable. The original color was Positano Yellow, but my '69 is also Positano Yellow and if I restore to the original color, my garage will look like a school bus parking lot. Or, a taxi cab lot. Right now, I'm thinking it will either be bright red over tan or sky blue over black. There's a medium blue that would look good too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom