• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    A suggestion......exacto trim the Pearce enhancements.
    How did you achieve that finish. I like it...:)
    I need to do that... Since I'm still in swapping parts around mode I'm holding off on trimming anything yet.

Those laser etchings are deeper than you think.... I found out the hard way. The first thing that needs addressed, the sides of the slide are not flat. I started with some sandpaper stuck to a flat surface and started going to town. That's when I realized the slide was not flat. Got more aggressive with the sandpaper, went down to 80 grit. It was just going to take too much time. Got curious and fearless. Stuck the slide on a belt sander flat, off and on keeping an eye on heat build up. Still took some time, but much faster that by hand. Finished with 220 grit on a sanding block to knock down the 80 scratches. After that I stuck it in the blaster and hit it with glass beads.

The frame was done by hand with a small piece of sanding block, 80, 180, 220 grits finished it off in the bead blaster.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I need to do that... Since I'm still in swapping parts around mode I'm holding off on trimming anything yet.

Those laser etchings are deeper than you think.... I found out the hard way. The first thing that needs addressed, the sides of the slide are not flat. I started with some sandpaper stuck to a flat surface and started going to town. That's when I realized the slide was not flat. Got more aggressive with the sandpaper, went down to 80 grit. It was just going to take too much time. Got curious and fearless. Stuck the slide on a belt sander flat, off and on keeping an eye on heat build up. Still took some time, but much faster that by hand. Finished with 220 grit on a sanding block to knock down the 80 scratches. After that I stuck it in the blaster and hit it with glass beads.

The frame was done by hand with a small piece of sanding block, 80, 180, 220 grits finished it off in the bead blaster.

I have a large flat plate of aircraft aluminum and many grades of "Good" sand cloth. The heavy stuff. I have done what you just accomplished. It is a job but well worth the efforts.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a large flat plate of aircraft aluminum and many grades of "Good" sand cloth. The heavy stuff. I have done what you just accomplished. It is a job but well worth the efforts.
    I basically tried that method, didn't have a piece of aluminum so used a piece of wood. This pic kind of shows why it didn't work so well, if the slide would have been flat, I would have continued and I don't think it would have taken that long.

Remembering what it looked like before:

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nice job removing the billboards Rusty. It looks much better with the clean slide now.
    Thanks! I wish Ruger would stop doing the laser etching... Rollmarks are much better. But the laser allowed me to get the DW simple look without spending the money. Truth is, after I'm completely done with it, I'd have been better off just saving for a new non bob commander Valor, but then I would have been afraid to make it "mine".

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks! I wish Ruger would stop doing the laser etching... Rollmarks are much better. But the laser allowed me to get the DW simple look without spending the money. Truth is, after I'm completely done with it, I'd have been better off just saving for a new non bob commander Valor, but then I would have been afraid to make it "mine".

Some of my favorite guns are ones that I've made 'mine'. I have a fear of doing that with an expensive gun, but on something like a Remington, it's easy. I find that I enjoy guns that I've made into nice guns more than the nice ones I've bought that way sometimes.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Some of my favorite guns are ones that I've made 'mine'. I have a fear of doing that with an expensive gun, but on something like a Remington, it's easy. I find that I enjoy guns that I've made into nice guns more than the nice ones I've bought that way sometimes.
    I agree, no blood in this one yet, but plenty of sweat and tears!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    100_5874_zpswqwowas5.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Seriously.....at this point, the upgrades are costing more than the guns are for me. The AR's all get high end triggers, BCGs and barrels, the 10/22 goes to cpc and gets Kidd guts, the CZs get cgw guts and some wizard love.....I could have double or triple the collection I currently have if I didn't hot rod everything.

But hot rods are so much more fun than stock guns. It's unreal what a new fire control group and an action tuning/slicking does to a good firearm.

I am the same way in my 1911's.
    Bought a really nice TRP standard barrel.
    Dumped everything but the trigger I think.
    I will put it with any Wilson/DW/Les Baer for running/accuracy.

That DW.....I mean Ruger.....looks great. Very nice work.

Got my CMD together. Really happy with the way it turned out. I am not a fan of the Ruger laser etching so I decided it needed to go. Also removed the warning label on the bottom of the frame. Took quite a bit of work, but worth every second.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Looks very nice BA. Billet upper/lower for your first build? Was this one of those ones Alan, Allen M, or someone on here was selling?

Just one question for you, though. Isn't the sight mark a laser/light combo? If so, why the need for the second light?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The slide isn't flat???
    I'll bet it's the wood that's not flat or it's flexing under the pressure.
    Keep at it, looking good so far!
    The slide was defiantly not flat. High and low spots all over the place. Not enough pressure being placed on the wood to cause it to flex. I found it odd as well that the slide flats were not flat, but such is life. It's done now, after pics were posted first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The slide was defiantly not flat. High and low spots all over the place. Not enough pressure being placed on the wood to cause it to flex. I found it odd as well that the slide flats were not flat, but such is life. It's done now, after pics were posted first.

The metallurgy in the Ruger is not top shelf.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom