• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Meh. Just something else that Trump won’t be given any credit for taking China to task.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You are taking an untenable position. Even china admits they are stealing intellectual property.

They aren't the only ones, of course. US companies keep patent litigators busy. A growing industry.

$600 billion. That represents a very large portion of the US GDP for consumer goods. Nikon scopes. Zodiacs.

Shocking. Of course, I've never bought a knockoff Nikon scope. Have you? I wonder where all these knockoffs are consumed. Can't be inner city. They don't use scopes. Can't be INGO users. Where do they go?

Zodiacs. Yeah....didn't Zodiac produce it's boats in China at one point?.....and then after training the Chinese, they moved the production elsewhere. And Zodiac doesn't really sell to non-professional or government agencies...so there is a market to fill. With inflatable boats. Like all of Oceania. And Zodiac doesn't/won't sell to them. And may not have "intellectual property protections" at this point because patents have expired ... how many years ago?

Now, some of this $600 billion is sales/consumption within China where the Chinese have erected trade barriers. So, even if they didn't "steal" from others, the US businesses still wouldn't have an entry into the market. Ergo, a claim for lost revenue is a bit specious in this regard, don'tcha think?

And about those Chinese knockoffs. My Apple power supply failed. Not the power supply itself, but the non-strain-relieved connector/chord interface eventually wore through. I could have replaced it with a new Apple power supply at around $80, but I chose a China or Taiwanese replacement for $21. What's the difference? None. Apple chose to sell a $21 power supply for $80. Same product without the Apple name.

Who is stealing from who?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    149 posts since the last "quality" Salma Hayek pic has been posted.

Just keeping the thread on topic..

You're welcome.

OK. Here is Salma in a Zodiac.

And you think we don't stay on topic.....:)

salmahayek-pinault4-a.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You educate the Chinese in American schools. They pay tuition. We provide data, training and experience. That isn't stealing. That's capitalism. When us democrats were complaining about offshoring manufacturing and technologies, you laughed.

Hope that crow tastes great.

No. The stealing part is where we license contract manufacturers in China to make our ****, and then they make our ****. And then they also make the same ****, not necessarily in the same facility, to sell at lower prices as knockoffs. I was in the contract manufacturing business for awhile. It happens. Amazon has a huge problem with counterfeits.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The markets are really reacting to COVID-19 and add to that the burny factor - every time he does well in a primary the markets slide. This is looking like a tremendous buying opportunity coming fairly soon.

That's what I'm watching for.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No. The stealing part is where we license contract manufacturers in China to make our ****, and then they make our ****. And then they also make the same ****, not necessarily in the same facility, to sell at lower prices as knockoffs. I was in the contract manufacturing business for awhile. It happens. Amazon has a huge problem with counterfeits.

Are they "the same" though? Same product specs. Same processes. Fake labels? Or is it a generic equivalent?

I have 2 Yamaha guitars. One produced in Japan and one produced at a Yamaha supervised plant in China. The Chinese guitar is about 60% of the price of the Japanese custom shop model. I can feel and hear the difference and in no way would I pay 100% of the Japanese price for the Chinese guitar. I've played a Chinese copy of a Martin D41. It looks nice if you don't stand too close and examine the workmanship. But it doesn't sound like my Martin or even a Sigma Martin made in Japan in the old days when Martin was licensing. Any Martin. But it sells for $200 where the Martin sells for around $4.500.

I'm certain there is a market for the $200 guitar. Is it intellectual property theft? I suppose if you squint real hard. And I'm sure some new guitar player might think he has a guitar equivalent to a Martin D41. But he doesn't. And no one who knows guitars would tell him he does.

That's only one product type that I know something about. I'm sure we could go down a list of the hundreds of thousands of products and find examples supporting both views....yours and mine.

But the fact is, we let the technology go overseas. We sold off product lines that didn't meet the minimums established by breakup artists/MBA's. We licensed China to manufacture because labor was cheaper. And then when the guy in the USA, who no longer has a job because we offshored production, comes into Wal-Mart or purchases a knockoff on eBay or Amazon, we claim "THEFT!!!"

Right. Seems to me the thief is the manager who decided he didn't need to keep US employees building the widget in the first place.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Zodiacs. Yeah....didn't Zodiac produce it's boats in China at one point?.....and then after training the Chinese, they moved the production elsewhere. And Zodiac doesn't really sell to non-professional or government agencies...so there is a market to fill. With inflatable boats. Like all of Oceania. And Zodiac doesn't/won't sell to them. And may not have "intellectual property protections" at this point because patents have expired ... how many years ago?

Zodiac made boats in France for years and has had a full line of recreational models since the 60's, then after some financial difficulty they split military and recreational in 2007. It is ironic that they move production to China and soon are overwhelmed by cheap competitors. To be clear these or knockoffs, not counterfeit vessels.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And about those Chinese knockoffs. My Apple power supply failed. Not the power supply itself, but the non-strain-relieved connector/chord interface eventually wore through. I could have replaced it with a new Apple power supply at around $80, but I chose a China or Taiwanese replacement for $21. What's the difference? None. Apple chose to sell a $21 power supply for $80. Same product without the Apple name.

Be careful I have had power supply and or cords that caused the phone or tablet to overheat the battery reducing battery life expectancy...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Be careful I have had power supply and or cords that caused the phone or tablet to overheat the battery reducing battery life expectancy...

Right, they are made cheap and do not have the same voltage regulation and current regulation as a real one. There is a good chance they used cheap chinese components and won't last as long, will shorten battery life and then there is the fire hazard. If you have a cheap charger and it gets hotter than it should it could be worse than just poor efficiency. I throw those kind out.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They aren't the only ones, of course. US companies keep patent litigators busy. A growing industry.

$600 billion. That represents a very large portion of the US GDP for consumer goods. Nikon scopes. Zodiacs.

Shocking. Of course, I've never bought a knockoff Nikon scope. Have you? I wonder where all these knockoffs are consumed. Can't be inner city. They don't use scopes. Can't be INGO users. Where do they go?

It appears a big market is scammers. They buy from reputable sources, even good gun retailers, the real thing, then return the counterfeit version. Then when Amazon lackeys get one back they just put it on the shelf and send it to the next guy that may not even find out it is counterfeit until it doesn't work and he sends it in for warranty work. Of course they sell them on eBay too and the fake Rolex wearing guy buys one to impress his friends...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Charlie Kirk has a great explanation of Mitt Romney...

Charlie Kirk: President Donald Trump has empowered a resurgence of conservatism on college campuses across the country. The exact opposite of what the media want you to believe. I’ll tell you why. The Republican Party of Mitt Romney (boos)… Correct. Every time his name is mentioned you should respond that way. Because he lied to every single person in this room who knocked on doors for him, that made phone calls for him, that donated to his campaign.

Because we thought that he was going to be a crusader against the Marxist president that proceeded Donald Trump. And now he asks and he begs for the endorsement of Donald Trump for the senate in Utah and then he goes and votes for that sham unconstitutional impeachment.

He embodies the same political class that President Trump ran against.
    The party of Mitt Romney was a party that did not fight. It was a party that wanted to preserve the ruling class. It was a party that did not give the next generation competence and courage and conviction.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yep, Dow is down 800 already today. I wonder if those who gave the president credit for the Dow’s bull run, are now going to place blame in him for it.

Wait, I thought obama said the great economy was the result of his policies?... it's obamas economy.

I guess we can blame obama.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    What was with the DOW yesterday anyhow? It shot up 500 points just before the bell and another 250 after hours. I sure didn't expect that on a Friday in this market environment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom