• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I doubt we'll ever see $10 boxes of 100 WWB 9mm again simply because ten bucks isn't worth nearly what it was in 2008, before Obama started "pumping."

However, the comments (billt) about supply and demand are sound, and I would not be surprised if WWB 9mm dropped to $15.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What I still can't figure out is why 22? I know there are theories about new shooters, but really 22? It is not a good self defense round, I figured most new shooters would go the way of self defense. Zombie round? Maybe, if suppressed ( (I subscribe to the fun Zombie craze). Suppressor legal hunting now in Indiana? Too new, new players to that game are still waiting on tax stamps. TEOTWAWKI? This is the only plausible one I can come up with. Who doesn't own at least one 22? But really, if it is that bad, how many critters vs how many rounds already out there will there be? I think I will start hoarding squirrels. When the time comes I will barter them for 22.

.22 is relatively cheap to purchase in large quantity. Rimfire firearms are affordable and there are a lot of cool plinkers being marketed. The big reason is that .22 is not on the shelf. Most everybody has an extra $20 to buy a box and they will just because it is not on the shelf. I would venture to say there is a lot of .22 being bought that will never get used.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Sad but true. I bet most people buying .22 right now would not shoot 1000 rounds in their lifetime.
    Remember when the panic first got into swing and there were unopened bulk boxes of .22 from the 1980s and 90s hitting the market. Heh, old stock from previous panics maybe?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Remember when the panic first got into swing and there were unopened bulk boxes of .22 from the 1980s and 90s hitting the market. Heh, old stock from previous panics maybe?

I would say just old stuff laying around. Heck I just shot up some .38 special dad loaded over 20 years ago.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Gee Mr. Obvious, I sell ammo at $15 a box, and It sells. Hey why don't I drop the price to $10 a box and lose $5 profit?!?
    When supply is up enough you're being undercut by $12/box ammo coming out of Russia you might have to reconsider.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sad but true Bog, but like fuel, I doubt we see the ammo prices of $10 9mm and $13 .40 unless its from Russia.Its like a bulb went off and somebody said, hey look what we can make on .223 and 22LR.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Sad but true Bog, but like increasing fuel prices, I doubt we see the old ammo prices of $10 9mm and $13 .40 unless its from Russia.Its like a bulb went off and somebody said, hey look what we can make on .223 and 22LR.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, but everything is getting more expensive. Retailers just try to hide it from us. Has anyone but me noticed food items are getting smaller? Same price, less food. It's a way to hide from the consumer they're getting less for their money. Problem is you can't shrink a bullet or a gallon of gasoline so we notice that the price has gone up on those.

rcam1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    chillin in my hammoc
    IMO. For what it's worth here is my .02
    if firearms and ammo is a consumer driven market we could help the situation if people would quit buying ammo for a while, decrease the demand and cause increase in supply and force reduction in price, but people are so paranoid they seem to feel they have to buy everything they can get there hands on, so in a sense we are part of the problem when it comes to the ammo shortage and high prices, personally I have not bought any ammo in about 4 yrs, but I haven't done any shooting either because I cannot afford to replace the ammo, these are sad times for America and IMO if the mentality of hoarding does not change some I don't see thing improving much, god bless and happy shooting for those that can afford to do so.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    if firearms and ammo is a consumer driven market we could help the situation if people would quit buying ammo for a while, decrease the demand and cause increase in supply and force reduction in price, but people are so paranoid they seem to feel they have to buy everything they can get there hands on, so in a sense we are part of the problem when it comes to the ammo shortage and high prices, personally I have not bought any ammo in about 4 yrs, but I haven't done any shooting either because I cannot afford to replace the ammo, these are sad times for America and IMO if the mentality of hoarding does not change some I don't see thing improving much, god bless and happy shooting for those that can afford to do so.

That is mostly with just .22 ammo now. And even that is tapering off as more and more becomes available. I like to use Cabela's as my barometer. I hadn't seen a box of 9 MM FMJ Ball ammo on their shelves for over 2 years. Now they've got tons of it. Some of it as low as $13.99 a box. I'm seeing it available on line for under $250.00 a case, (1,000), with plenty in stock. Gone is the "out of stock" 10 minutes after they list it.

People are flat running out of money to spend on this stuff. The economy is still dead as a stone under this nit wit President. People are more concerned about paying their bills, and having a place to live. Davidson's is listing Colt 1911's by the hundreds. Ruger SR-1911's are the same. Both full sized and Commander Models, at good prices too. Just a year ago you couldn't find one period. Let alone find it at a good price. AR-15's and 30 round magazines are available by the box car load, with all of them at good prices. Remember also this is Summer. The shooting sports are in full swing in most of the country. Imagine this Winter after hunting season comes and goes. There will be a glut alright, a damn big one. About the only thing still scarce besides .22 ammo is powder. And that can't last forever.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    We aren't necessarily, well I'm not, buying ammo because we're afraid it'll be gone. I buy ammo so I can go shooting. As it stands, I need to buy more ammo because I have enough for about 2 hours at the range and that's it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

You haven't done any shooting in four years? That sucks.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Just an FYI...Rural King had 9mm for $10.99 a box this week. Not made in Russia. This was on the counter in Decatur, IN store.

Top Bottom