• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Prices will go down certainly. Supply for everything but .22 is going up tremendously, and even .22 isn't nearly as bad as it was. Snagged a bulk box 5:00 in the evening when they were stocking the shelf at Wal-Mart (strange time I thought). There weren't any people lined up waiting for it to go on the shelf, I just happened to walk by when he was closing the door up. My LGS always has .22 but at inflated pricing.

I don't think .22 can ever go back to $10/box due to inflation. I could see $25 a bulk box and I would have zero problems with paying that.

If we can get through the rest of the Obama presidency without another gun control push things may be back to normal. That'll all go out the window if Hillary wins the presidency though. I think we'll see the Obama panic as small in comparison.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm just glad I got into "hoarder" mode before all the craziness began. I even bought ammo in calibers I didn't have a firearm in, but planned on getting. I was buying 50 round boxes of WWB .44 mag at Bass Pro for around $20 a box, and now it's over $40! It has got me through the tough times, and I'd love to see ammo at decent prices again, but I won't hold my breath.

(by the way, I've found that nothing pisses the wife off more than having to move crates of ammo out of her way to put something in her dresser).:):

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have been very lucky when it comes to buying 22lr. I don't seek it out like hoarders and gougers do. I have always been at the right place at the right time when Gander or Dunhams happened to have some in stock. All bought at normal prices $22-$25.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have been very lucky when it comes to buying 22lr. I don't seek it out like hoarders and gougers do. I have always been at the right place at the right time when Gander or Dunhams happened to have some in stock. All bought at normal prices $22-$25.

Could you let the rest of us in your secret? :):

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Next recession/depression/market crash or what ever will see it going cheap, and it's just a matter of time.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've seen some prices come down, but 9mm and 22 are still hit & miss.
    You'll know it's over when you can walk into any big box store and buy .22lr for $15-20/brick and they have plenty.
    Remember that? Just walk into a store and buy what you need for a regular price when ever you want?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Ever since I can remember the prices have gone up and never down, ever since our fine president took office things turn for the worst and don't think will change in our favor.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    All I want to see is Federal .22lr boxes of 550 back on the shelves at Wal-Mart...readily available and accessible! That's when I'll be smiling!

Bravo-4-2

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Wishful thinking?

They obviously do not understand the Business 101 of why ammo prices, and availability, are in their current condition. No, there is nothing to suggest that prices, or availability, will improve much soon. In fact, the available evidence suggests just the opposite. It will be years, if ever, before we return to anything that resembles the "normalcy" we had before Sandy Hook.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They obviously do not understand the Business 101 of why ammo prices, and availability, are in their current condition. No, there is nothing to suggest that prices, or availability, will improve much soon. In fact, the available evidence suggests just the opposite. It will be years, if ever, before we return to anything that resembles the "normalcy" we had before Sandy Hook.

Some ammo already has so I am not sure what you mean. I bought a case of 9mm for 12.99 a box and a case of 5.56 for $330. That is about where they were before the most recent panic set in... unless you are going back many years ago, but we have had a lot of inflation since then.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I do miss the days of shooting my 22's on the cheap. I can currently shoot my 9mm cheaper than my 22's. Reloading and casting is paying off big time. $.056 per round for 9mm compared to $.086 for the last 22 I bought. Now I just have to acquire as many 9mm's as I have 22's, and a suppressor for the 9's. Still may come out ahead if I need to get any more 22's in the near future.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Retail ammo prices will remain similar to what they are now. If anything think of it as a price plateau. Other then a rollback or promotion when have we ever seen retil ammo prices drop. Yes centrfire ammo is back on the shelf but it is mostly the lesser quality plinking stuff like Tulammo or Federal Champion (yestbe stuff shoots fine).

I did buy mybfirst box of 22 in over a year the other day. That is encouraging. Last night I was able to find 300 rounds of the same brand of 45 for an upcoming class, also encouraging.

While retail factory ammo will be priced similarly, I do predict that reloading supplies will be a bit easier to access. I plan to do the same as last fall and take a portion of my bonus and buy components for the upcoming year.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Supply and demand. More and more people are taking up shooting and more people are hoarding, both. If the demand slows, stockpiles increase, prices drop to spur sales.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think the prices really are on the way down. I just ordered some PPU 9mm for $12.95 per box of 50 rounds. When you could find it, it was $15 per box on the low end until recently (Walmart 100 round packs notwithstanding). I don't think it will ever get down to the $5 per box it was (in case lots) when I got my 9mm 1911 to save money on ammo, but it's definitely on the way down.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    The people who think .22's will never again be available for $12.00 a brick, are the same ones who thought their $260,000.00 cookie cutter homes would be worth $1.2 million by now. Not the $110,000.00 Zillow is showing.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    It has come down a little. Just observed Federal AE 223's in 55 grain for 349.00 out the door and CCI Blazer Brass 9mm for 269.00 out the door. That supply went in about an hour, hopefully it will be available again soon. I just do not see a decrease in 22's coming at all. Once the shelves are full for a while, the companies will simply slow production and stop paying overtime.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Yes, soon we will be awash in all the $17 9mm FMJs, and $30 .22 bricks we can handle.

$10 9mm and $15 .22 will never happen again. I hope someone prooves me wrong, but Im not going to hold my breath.

Top Bottom