The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to enjoy reading and, occasionally, participating in this thread. Unfortunately now it is just name calling, hyperbole and temper tantrums.

It's really too bad.

45b7ce822081ee6e9d54fbbbde7f51f4.jpg

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Wow did Trump deliver on reducing the overal project from a total cost of 11 Billion dollars to under 2 Billion dollars? Don't think so, so much more money is going to be needed before that wall gets completed.

So has Trumpy found a way to get Mexico to reimburse my tax money yet?

it's early grasshopper.....

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Has Mexico cut that check yet? Cause he sure ain't building no wall with no money. LOL

So, what is your opinion on the wall?

0. For open borders, freely immigrating is a human right
    1. Too much wall, tear some/all of it down
    2. Goldilocks, just right the way it is now
    3. More wall (or better walls) in some places would slow illegal entry
    3.5 Build the wall all along the border except where it makes no sense and is very cost prohibitive... I.e. don't build over the tops of mountains, nor down the middle of the Rio Grande.
    4. Build it, sea-to-sea

I'll go first and choose [STRIKE]#3[/STRIKE] 3.5

ETA: Added a seemingly popular 3.5, which is build the whole wall, except where it makes no sense and is very expensive. A 4-lite, if you will.

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    So, what is your opinion on the wall?

0. For open borders, freely immigrating is a human right
    1. Too much wall, tear some/all of it down
    2. Goldilocks, just right the way it is now
    3. More wall (or better walls) in some places would slow illegal entry
    4. Build it, sea-to-sea

I'll go first and choose #3

option 5 Start with a realistic discussion that recognizes that no way in h*** is Mexico going to pay for a wall that we might want.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    At this point, I think we all should just admit that Mexico paying for the wall was just clever talking point to get people fired up, and not a legitimate accomplishable goal.

And ACA was just a clever talking point for the Democrats to get people fired up but there is no way it'll ever pass...Yet it did...

The wall is coming and I do believe Mexico, in one way or another, will be paying for it....I always thought a "wall tax" on money being taken out of our country and communities and sent south via Western Union.....(Yes I know I just said I would approve of a tax...Eww that hurt:)) would be a nice way to pay for it....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    option 5 Start with a realistic discussion that recognizes that no way in h*** is Mexico going to pay for a wall that we might want.

That wasn't one of the options. He didn't even mention Mexico paying for the wall. It's not relevant to the question. So one of the four. Which one? I wish there were a 3.5. But I guess I'll have to go with 4.

sure they will.....just wait and see....

No. It's not going to happen. At least not in any literal sense. Even a "technical" victory is disingenuous because that's not what Trump said.

At this point, I think we all should just admit that Mexico paying for the wall was just clever talking point to get people fired up, and not a legitimate accomplishable goal.

It is, and people should stop caring about it on both sides. It's not going to happen that way. Mexico isn't going to cut us a check for the cost of the wall. And if they did, it would probably really **** me off if I found out what under-the-table deal Trump would have had to make to get Mexico to do it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And ACA was just a clever talking point for the Democrats to get people fired up but there is no way it'll ever pass...Yet it did...

The wall is coming and I do believe Mexico, in one way or another, will be paying for it....I always thought a "wall tax" on money being taken out of our country and communities and sent south via Western Union.....(Yes I know I just said I would approve of a tax...Eww that hurt:)) would be a nice way to pay for it....

One way or another isn't a fulfillment of the promise. I mean, you could name almost anything a technical victory using that as the standard.

But I don't see how ACA has anything to do with the wall. The ACA didn't pass because Americans were convinced they could keep their doctors. America was very much against it in the polling well past it's passage. The ACA passed because of Democratic parliamentary tricks and no other reason than that. And just like any givernment program, once people taste the teat, they can't stop sucking from it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

We don't have the economic power, or more correctly our populace doesn't have the economic power, to force Mexico to pay for a wall. Cheap labor = cheap products NOT made in the USA.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

The "typical" populist (and that's what Trump is) of "making" another country pay, is tariffs. Put Mexico is going to pay for the wall and renegotiating NAFTA together and that's what you get. Are they going to write a check to the USA specifically for the wall? No.

Remember who this promise was made to... blue collar workers who see "their jobs" going elsewhere... so tax the cr@p out of Mexican automotive products and build (more of) the wall checks positive boxes for a bunch of people who voted for him on this issue. And, if building some parts of the wall, for example where the current "coyote trails" cross essentially a cattle fence lowers the numbers on the Southern border, he'll pick up more votes.

One of the very few taxes I would be for... a tax on moving money back to country of origin.
    That wasn't one of the options. He didn't even mention Mexico paying for the wall. It's not relevant to the question. So one of the four. Which one? I wish there were a 3.5. But I guess I'll have to go with 4.

No. It's not going to happen. At least not in any literal sense. Even a "technical" victory is disingenuous because that's not what Trump said.

It is, and people should stop caring about it on both sides. It's not going to happen that way. Mexico isn't going to cut us a check for the cost of the wall. And if they did, it would probably really **** me off if I found out what under-the-table deal Trump would have had to make to get Mexico to do it.

How about this, Jamil? I'm on the same page. :)

3.5 Build the wall all along the border except where it makes no sense and is very cost prohibitive... I.e. don't build over the tops of mountains, nor down the middle of the Rio Grande.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

We know what you are against... anything Trump.

But, what are you for with regard to the wall? Tear it all down? Build the whole thing? Something in between?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom