The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    We know what you are against... anything Trump.

But, what are you for with regard to the wall? Tear it all down? Build the whole thing? Something in between?

Start with being realistic then we might be able to discuss it. Mexico isn't paying for our wall. Collect via some kind of tariff and all you do is start some kind of trade war. Besides some of the things Mexico makes actually are started or are completed here.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    At this point, I think we all should just admit that Mexico paying for the wall was just clever talking point to get people fired up, and not a legitimate accomplishable goal.

You would think, but then again there are still those who don't believe Trump is a serial liar. I just don't get that kind of thinking.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Start with being realistic then we might be able to discuss it. Mexico isn't paying for our wall. Collect via some kind of tariff and all you do is start some kind of trade war. Besides some of the things Mexico makes actually are started or are completed here.

So are you for more wall? less wall? or the current wall is perfect?

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    So are you for more wall? less wall? or the current wall is perfect?

i've yet to hear any rational arguments presented to this point.

How big the imigration problem currently is.

Of that how what percentage of the problem is due to the southern border, people staying longer than they are supposed to on their visa, and any others.

How much we currently spend on protecting our southern border and how effective those current protections are.

What can we realistically hope to achieve by building a wall vs what we have now?

What savings might we realize by building a wall? Will we be able to reduce a portion of the protection we will no longer need?

How are we going to pay for the wall?

This is the best I can do off the top of my head.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    We know what you are against... anything Trump.

But, what are you for with regard to the wall? Tear it all down? Build the whole thing? Something in between?

Oh and by the way when you say I'm against anything Trump I take that as a compliment. So although that populist pin head might get some things right, there's so many things he gets wrong I can go with the generalization that I am against anything Trump. I'll have no trouble sleeping at night.

Last edited:

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If I could go back to November, I'd still vote for Trump :rockwoot:

That's fair.

Actually, that's a pretty interesting thought exercise...Based on Trump's first six-ish months in office, I wonder how many people would retroactively change their vote? Would the total number of voters change dramatically? Would the outcome be any different?

Like you, doc, I don't see myself changing my position in light of Trump's performance. I have seen decades worth of what HRC has to offer, and there is simply no way I would cast a vote for her. Literally the same for Trump.

Now, if we could go back to the primaries I think that might change things tremendously. I voted the way I did because I didn't think Trump had a chance of beating the Clinton machine in the GE. If I had that to do over I would enthusiastically and loudly throw my full support behind Cruz (assuming the early primaries played out the way they did), or Kasich.

I greatly overestimated the ability of the Clinton machine, and greatly underestimated the appeal of Trump. I don't think I was alone in that.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I used to enjoy reading and, occasionally, participating in this thread. Unfortunately now it is just name calling, hyperbole and temper tantrums.

Me too. Not much else gets discussed other than Trump is a stupid, poopy-head. It's kinda gotten like those soap operas my wife used to watch--same minutae one day, come back a few days later, scroll past 2-3 pages, and it's the same minutae all over again.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I could go back to November, I'd still vote for Trump :rockwoot:

Given the same circumstances, so would I. It's difficult to imagine depths of character that could possibly be worse than Hillary and her progressive plans for the US.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    i've yet to hear any rational arguments presented to this point.

How big the imigration problem currently is.

Of that how what percentage of the problem is due to the southern border, people staying longer than they are supposed to on their visa, and any others.

How much we currently spend on protecting our southern border and how effective those current protections are.

What can we realistically hope to achieve by building a wall vs what we have now?

What savings might we realize by building a wall? Will we be able to reduce a portion of the protection we will no longer need?

How are we going to pay for the wall?

This is the best I can do off the top of my head.

So when you're asked a direct question, the best you can answer is to justify the answer you didn't give? I can infer from your justifications what I think the answer is. But why not just say it?

Oh and by the way when you say I'm against anything Trump I take that as a compliment. So although that populist pin head might get some things right, there's so many things he gets wrong I can go with the generalization that I am against anything Trump. I'll have no trouble sleeping at night.

The sounds like language close to the fringe.

Me too. Not much else gets discussed other than Trump is a stupid, poopy-head. It's kinda gotten like those soap operas my wife used to watch--same minutae one day, come back a few days later, scroll past 2-3 pages, and it's the same minutae all over again.

People can be obsessed with negatives as much as others are with positives.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Wow did Trump deliver on reducing the overal project from a total cost of 11 Billion dollars to under 2 Billion dollars? Don't think so, so much more money is going to be needed before that wall gets completed.

So has Trumpy found a way to get Mexico to reimburse my tax money yet?

YES, Solar Panels .....

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    New York will send records to Trump's voter fraud commission

So, New York refused the initial request from the Presidential Voter Integrity Commission, so the commission filed a FOIA request for it, which NY will comply even though the Governor, who isn't the controlling authority, has said the state wouldn't.

Two interesting facts from this article:

1. New York law makes the voter data "available to the general public as long as a recipient isn’t using it for 'non-election purposes.'"

2. Either full or partial versions of the database have been sent to members of the general public 1,379 times since the beginning of 2015.

So, yeah, that is VERY publicly and routinely available data.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    People can be obsessed with negatives as much as others are with positives.

I'm not even thinking about the cheerleaders. On an occasion or two, I've thrown out stories not related to Trump and the oxygen is so sucked out of this thread on bashing Trump and arguing with the bashers that they weren't ever commented on. Now, I have to recognize that it's possible they were boring stories to the others that post here but this has evolved into a one story thread. Maybe I should ask the mods to rename it: Bash Trump/Defend Trump Here Thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not even thinking about the cheerleaders. On an occasion or two, I've thrown out stories not related to Trump and the oxygen is so sucked out of this thread on bashing Trump and arguing with the bashers that they weren't ever commented on. Now, I have to recognize that it's possible they were boring stories to the others that post here but this has evolved into a one story thread. Maybe I should ask the mods to rename it: Bash Trump/Defend Trump Here Thread.

Maybe it would be a good idea to just create a bash/defend Trump thread and keep this one to talk about real issues.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Maybe it would be a good idea to just create a bash/defend Trump thread and keep this one to talk about real issues.

I'm not interested in bashing or defending Trump, that's as much a distraction from real issues as bashing/defending any other politician that we can't or won't hold accountable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom