The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    But they still have to attend the mandatory indoctrination seminars and/or undergrad classes. Yeah, yeah, I know, you're not pliable. You still think the Democrat party is the party of Truman.

My grandfather was an "FDR man" and to his dying day believed the Democrat party was about unions and turned a blind eye to all the social garbage and anti-American BS they stood for. He wasn't pliable either.

I lean towards Alpo's position on this with respect to STEM students. Most of their exposure is going to be from the liberal arts profs in their humanities courses for the "core" requirements. Let's be real... those are very simple-minded. An entire gender studies course, even one requiring memorizing all 47 gender pronouns is a "pud" course compared to deriving travelling wave formulas from Maxwell's equations, which might be one night's homework or a 20-minute quiz in one STEM course. It's not even a crumb of thought compared to methods for solving systems of partial differential equations, which isn't even a high-level math class... just required sophomore level math. (possibly Freshman now with the abundance of AP Calc in high school)

Yeah, it's a hassle, but the brain-space it takes up compared to the STEM curricula is minuscule. Like the fly on an elephant's arse thinking it's in control.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    I lean towards Alpo's position on this with respect to STEM students. Most of their exposure is going to be from the liberal arts profs in their humanities courses for the "core" requirements. Let's be real... those are very simple-minded. An entire gender studies course, even one requiring memorizing all 47 gender pronouns is a "pud" course compared to deriving travelling wave formulas from Maxwell's equations, which might be one night's homework or a 20-minute quiz in one STEM course. It's not even a crumb of thought compared to methods for solving systems of partial differential equations, which isn't even a high-level math class... just required sophomore level math. (possibly Freshman now with the abundance of AP Calc in high school)

Yeah, it's a hassle, but the brain-space it takes up compared to the STEM curricula is minuscule. Like the fly on an elephant's arse thinking it's in control.

I don't disagree that a STEM major will help isolate you from some (maybe a lot) of the SJW garbage. I'm just pointing out that the college is still going to shove some of it down your throat no matter what your major is. The original discussion was whether or not colleges engage in propaganda. I'm glad we moved from a "no" to "of course they do, but you can isolate yourself from a lot of it". (last sentence not directed at you)

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Let us not forget the original statement:

I don't think you'll find you've supported this premise in any direct way.

Maybe not to your satisfaction. As you say, you're not "pliable". If anyone else shares your view that colleges don't promote the leftist world view, they can speak up. I don't think anyone here but you believes that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So we're back on this.... "I didn't go to college, so college grads must be leftists" stuff again? Indeed, for some, a green-eyed monster.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, sort of, Kut. Except for the fact that most college grads on INGO are Republicans. I wonder how it is they made it through all those various instructional disciplines and yet resisted becoming communists. :)

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    So we're back on this.... "I didn't go to college, so college grads must be leftists" stuff again? Indeed, for some, a green-eyed monster.

Nope. We're discussing whether or not colleges push the leftist agenda (indoctrination), not individuals who went to college.

Oh, and LOL.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, sort of, Kut. Except for the fact that most college grads on INGO are Republicans. I wonder how it is they made it through all those various instructional disciplines and yet resisted becoming communists. :)

I think one truly has to attend college to see how erroneous the belief that colleges are solely bastions of liberal thought are. Colleges, in my experience, often mirror the cultures/beliefs of the places where they reside. A person would probably get the stuffing beat out of them if they called Auburn a "liberal" campus.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

The best I can offer from my own experience is that college is a hostile environment if you happen to be conservative. It isn't a matter of envy or being bent against our will to be commies, but rather that it is a hostile environment and we also see where plenty of people who didn't think much beyond getting laid the following weekend were ripe for indoctrination which they did indeed receive.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The best I can offer from my own experience is that college is a hostile environment if you happen to be conservative. It isn't a matter of envy or being bent against our will to be commies, but rather that it is a hostile environment and we also see where plenty of people who didn't think much beyond getting laid the following weekend were ripe for indoctrination which they did indeed receive.

Where did you go to college?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Where did you go to college?

University of Evansville. The college itself wasn't so bad at the time, although I have been told it has changed, the students sure as hell wouldn't put up with conservatism. I have a cousin who is now a sophomore. She started at IU for her first year and transferred to ISU so she could be close to home, her doctors (which as a 6 month preemie she has plenty of issues), and that young man at RHIT who she hasn't exactly admitted to being a boyfriend, but she went to NY to visit his family. From what she tells me, I wouldn't survive the environment she has been dealing with. It has been bad enough that she started out quite liberal and is so disgusted by seeing it in its unrestrained form to move away from it.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Ruh-roh, when the other party is in control, the whitewash secrets come out...

FBI uncovered Russian bribery plot before Obama administration approved controversial nuclear deal with Moscow | TheHill

Short version, the FBI and DOJ knew about Russians BRIBING and extorting people to gain control of a chunk of US uranium production. And the Clinton Foundation was taking millions, while Bill took gonzo speaking fees, and Hillary approved the deal. The FBI and DOJ under Obama sat on this for 4+ years.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You don't know me bro. If you did, you'd know I think Truman was an idiot.

116170_full.jpg

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Ruh-roh, when the other party is in control, the whitewash secrets come out...

FBI uncovered Russian bribery plot before Obama administration approved controversial nuclear deal with Moscow | TheHill

Short version, the FBI and DOJ knew about Russians BRIBING and extorting people to gain control of a chunk of US uranium production. And the Clinton Foundation was taking millions, while Bill took gonzo speaking fees, and Hillary approved the deal. The FBI and DOJ under Obama sat on this for 4+ years.

Oh, and it quickly gets even better (or worse, if you're a Dem). Who was the head of the FBI when this cover-up occurred?

Messieur Mueller. Yup, the same one...

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/american-society/the-other-russia-scandal-hillary-clinton/

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, that's the nice thing about STEM. Molecules don't require pronouns. Math primarily uses the Greek alphabet. Engineers still have pocket protectors and never date anyone. That leaves technology. I suppose those technologists better get with the program.

In other news:

I agree with STEM programs. Not as many opportunities to be under the spell of ideologues. I think you may be wrong about technical programs. They don't require many humanities credits, which is where all this nonsense emanates from. Some don't require any. The tech guys are probably safest.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom