The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, sort of, Kut. Except for the fact that most college grads on INGO are Republicans. I wonder how it is they made it through all those various instructional disciplines and yet resisted becoming communists. :)

I once wrote a research paper for my class, Latin American Government and Politics, an upper level class. It was on expropriation, and how nationalizing an industry ultimately did more economic harm to the host country than good. I will never forget the comment and grade I got,word for word:

Very well written, very well supported. I disagree with your conclusion, C-.

A couple weeks later the prof. & I were taking about the upcoming primaries, and I told him I was voting for Gary Hart.

I immediately went to straight As in that class, and every class I had with him after that.

We play the game and tell them what they want to hear; that's how we get through it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think one truly has to attend college to see how erroneous the belief that colleges are solely bastions of liberal thought are. Colleges, in my experience, often mirror the cultures/beliefs of the places where they reside. A person would probably get the stuffing beat out of them if they called Auburn a "liberal" campus.

They're not "solely". Like I said before, if you're in STEM, and you're not loading up electives from humanities, you can probably graduate with your sanity intact. But if you're taking liberal arts there is no way you're not going to get a high dose of far left ideology. That the left doesn't dominate academics is not even in question. And when they were just liberals, it didn't really matter because they still believed in teaching people how to think, not what to think. But progressive ideologues are a different story.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, sort of, Kut. Except for the fact that most college grads on INGO are Republicans. I wonder how it is they made it through all those various instructional disciplines and yet resisted becoming communists. :)

If you think a person who's never attended college has no standing to talk about what's being taught in colleges today, then it's also reasonable to assume that if you haven't attended lately, you have no better standing.

Or. You can pay attention to social media and see what they're teaching. it's not hard. Professors use social media a lot. And so do students.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Once again the stuff coming out of the WH defies both logic and common decency. As we know, the other day when the president was asked if he had reached out to parents of the 4 soldiers killed Niger, he attempted throw his predecessors (falsely) under the bus. Well apparently, this has been on his mind since then, as today while giving a radio interview, he stated:
    “I think I’ve called every family of someone who’s died,” the president told the host, Brian Kilmeade. “As far as other representatives, I don’t know. You could ask General Kelly, did he get a call from Obama?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...3470754bbb9_story.html?utm_term=.1f5c55498541

Uhhh... kinda doubtful General Kelly, who lost a son in Afghanistan, gave Trump the "go ahead" to politicize his son's death. I'd find it interesting if the two even discussed the situation. Just a cheap move, by the president.

Then of course, it's being reported that the president did make the call to the widow of La David Johnson.... saying:
    MIAMI-DADE, Fla. - President Donald Trump told U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson's widow Tuesday that "he knew what he signed up for ... but when it happens, it hurts anyway," speaking of how Johnson died serving in northwestern Africa, according to Rep. Frederica Wilson, D-Miami Gardens.

Yeah, its kinda a given that he knew what he "signed up for," but one would question the logic in stating such to grieving widow.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If you think a person who's never attended college has no standing to talk about what's being taught in colleges today, then it's also reasonable to assume that if you haven't attended lately, you have no better standing.

Or. You can pay attention to social media and see what they're teaching. it's not hard. Professors use social media a lot. And so do students.

Where do you get these bizarre interpretations of what I said? You obviously have your own set of talking points. That's fine. Keep them coming out of your mouth and not mine.

Thanks

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Uhhh... kinda doubtful the families of the four soldiers, who lost a loved one in Niger, gave the MSM the "go ahead" to politicize their son's death. I'd find it interesting if the two even discussed the situation. Just a cheap move, by the press.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where do you get these bizarre interpretations of what I said? You obviously have your own set of talking points. That's fine. Keep them coming out of your mouth and not mine.

Thanks

Well. Okay. Let's recap.

Someone said colleges are propaganda machines, or something to that affect.

I disagreed that it was all colleges and all departments, but it is at least many institutions, and especially in humanities departments.

You and Kut then chortled together as you looked down your noses, saying that the posters making the claim had never been to college.

Then I pointed out that it's reasonable to say that it's not the college experience 20 or 30 or 40 years ago that qualifies one to make or deny such claims about the state of things today, and that it does not take a college education to see what today's professors are saying to know what they're teaching.

So then, you most recently tried to imply that the right leaning INGO grads, being right leaning and all, is proof enough that it's not happening at all. Of course that's silly.

So, there's no interpretation required at all. Your words came out of your own mouth.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well. Okay. Let's recap.

I disagreed that it was all colleges and all departments, but it is at least many institutions, and especially in humanities departments.

You and Kut then chortled together as you looked down your noses, saying that the posters making the claim had never been to college.

Then I pointed out that it's reasonable to say that it's not the college experience 20 or 30 or 40 years ago that qualifies one to make or deny such claims about the state of things today, and that it does not take a college education to see what today's professors are saying to know what they're teaching.

So then, you most recently tried to imply that the right leaning INGO grads, being right leaning and all, is proof enough that it's not happening at all. Of course that's silly.

So, there's no interpretation required at all. Your words came out of your own mouth.

Yes, where they are most consistent is in their condescension. We, the great unwashed, have no business actually voicing an opinion.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It is at times like these that I wish that some of the college bashers would have completely avoided any education and remained among the illiterate.

The level of self-deception and cognitive dissonance is striking.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well. Okay. Let's recap.

Is this factual or anecdotal? And if it were the latter, how does one come to this opinion? I went to college in both the South and North (as well a visited plenty in the South), from my experience it's rare to find visible widespread strong liberal beliefs in the Southern schools, as opposed to Northern School.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    It is at times like these that I wish that some of the college bashers would have completely avoided any education and remained among the illiterate.

17zwol.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, where they are most consistent is in their condescension. We, the great unwashed, have no business actually voicing an opinion.

Your second sentence holds true - "they" do look down on those with lesser education. They think, "If you just had more education you'd be enlightened and wouldn't support the President..."

However, the condescension goes both ways.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Your second sentence holds true - "they" do look down on those with lesser education. They think, "If you just had more education you'd be enlightened and wouldn't support the President..."

You believe it holds true. Your belief is wrong.

As to supporting the president, I don't think anyone was given much of a choice. Trump or Hillary. I can understand why people voted for Trump.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You believe it holds true. Your belief is wrong.

As to supporting the president, I don't think anyone was given much of a choice. Trump or Hillary. I can understand why people voted for Trump.
    Could there have been a worse pair of candidates to choose from?

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I doubt it.

For all of Trump's present faults, Hillary could have set this country in a direction that no honest person would ever have gotten a fair shake. At least Trump hasn't done anything significantly wrong.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. So you're at least aware of the options for how you handle your cognitive dissonance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom