The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is this factual or anecdotal? And if it were the latter, how does one come to this opinion? I went to college in both the South and North (as well a visited plenty in the South), from my experience it's rare to find visible widespread strong liberal beliefs in the Southern schools, as opposed to Northern School.

How long has it been since you graduated?

I got my opinion from a survey of college professors. It's getting lefter.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    It swings. Communist fears in the 50's to radicalization over Vietnam through the 70's. It may have never swung back from radicalization with all of the "identity" issues that came about during the 60's and 70's. Certainly, things tempered a bit with 9-11, but they swung left again as the wars drug on.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    How long has it been since you graduated?

I got my opinion from a survey of college professors. It's getting lefter.

1998, 2002
    As far as college professors go, I think you'd be challenged to ever find a time... going back to the ancient Greeks, that professors weren't considered left.

Kut (reminds that even Socrates was accused... and executed, for "corrupting the youth")

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    1998, 2002
    As far as college professors go, I think you'd be challenged to ever find a time... going back to the ancient Greeks, that professors weren't considered left.

Kut (reminds that even Socrates was accused... and executed, for "corrupting the youth")

The way I was taught (History 311 at UE) the charge of 'corrupting the youth' was pretty well bogus. The actual problem was that the democrats (small 'd') had regained control of the government and Socrates was thought to have been too cozy with the then-ousted oligarchs. They wanted him dead, and that was a way to get it done without too many political questions being asked.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    1998, 2002

It’s gone from ~2:1 left leaning in the 60’s to 12:1. Most of it’s been in the last several years since the proliferation of “studies” courses which are ideologically based. You’d be hard pressed to find a women’s studies course taught by a conservative because to teach it you have to be brainwashed in ideological nonsense. History is something like 30:1 now.

Departments outside of humanities have changed towards the left but not all that much. If you’re not attending an Ivy league school you have a good shot at getting a conservative professor in economics. STEM hasn’t changed a lot either. Law schools have gotten lefter.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The way I was taught (History 311 at UE) the charge of 'corrupting the youth' was pretty well bogus. The actual problem was that the democrats (small 'd') had regained control of the government and Socrates was thought to have been too cozy with the then-ousted oligarchs. They wanted him dead, and that was a way to get it done without too many political questions being asked.

Apparently you either attended before History Departments got insanely left, or you happened to find the 1 in 30 sane professor. Well, I suppose I shouldn’t say it like that. A few of the 30 left leaning could be sane.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Step back from the "trees" and view the "forest" for a second.

The media's intense focus on a platoon action elsewhere allows them to avoid spending time reporting on what was the biggest active military conflict, and stalemate, when Trump was elected and sworn in... ISIS in Syria, Iraq, etc. ISIS had a legitimate claim that it was establishing it's historic "caliphate lands" at that time... now, while it is too soon to conclude ISIS is "beaten", or even religated to "JV team" status, it is apparent that the jewel of the ISIS eye, establishing a caliphate is collapsing at a rapid pace.

Trump?s ISIS Victory | National Review

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Step back from the "trees" and view the "forest" for a second.

The media's intense focus on a platoon action elsewhere allows them to avoid spending time reporting on what was the biggest active military conflict, and stalemate, when Trump was elected and sworn in... ISIS in Syria, Iraq, etc. ISIS had a legitimate claim that it was establishing it's historic "caliphate lands" at that time... now, while it is too soon to conclude ISIS is "beaten", or even religated to "JV team" status, it is apparent that the jewel of the ISIS eye, establishing a caliphate is collapsing at a rapid pace.

Trump?s ISIS Victory | National Review

You're kidding right? A "platoon action?" You do know 4 Americans were killed right, and that there's some confusion as to what exactly they were doing in the first place? I think comparatively, when considering a battle that was almost exclusively foreign boots, and the other being American boots... the American people would naturally be more concerned with the former.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm sure both parties will work overtime to top themselves with worse candidates next election.

Now come on, you can't say the Republican Party wanted Trump. The PEOPLE wanted trump over the establishment republican choices. That is a GREAT thing that the people can overrule the party. At least on the right.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm done with ******* CNN! I'm absolutely disgusted with them parading Gold Star families on their channel for views.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    You're kidding right? A "platoon action?" You do know 4 Americans were killed right, and that there's some confusion as to what exactly they were doing in the first place? I think comparatively, when considering a battle that was almost exclusively foreign boots, and the other being American boots... the American people would naturally be more concerned with the former.

Are you kidding?

First some facts, the American contingent were green berets who had just detached from Niger forces, aiding them in attacking terrorists. So, no, this was not an exclusively American action as you suggest. Why they are/were there is very apparent given that some of Niger's neighbors are Islamist terrorist hotbeds, you know, Libya, Chad and Nigeria... boko haram and all that. Apparently, Niger has the same problems in addition to being a respit for terrorists from its neighbors.

Are you arguing that addressing these hotspots while the terrorists are indeed still "the JV team" (if not Freshmen bench-warmers) isn't appropriate?

The two most heated issues I see hurled around (besides the he said, she said phone call) are why didn't they have armored humvee's and why is the WH withholding detailed information. For the first, if they were regular soldiers or marines, in strength, armored humvees would be appropriate and should be questioned why they weren't provided (for example, the Blackhawk down debacle where they were requested and denied for political reasons). But these were green berets most likely looking to not advertise as American military everywhere they went. That is a trade-off that fell against them in this particular situation... so was the ambush just lucky or was it inside intel from a Niger military "mole" is a very legitimate question. On the second, even General Mattis says the field investigation isn't complete yet and HE doesn't have the details, so how could Trump's Whitehouse withhold what they don't even have?

The focus on the one, the issues focused upon and the almost ignoring of the other, measurable accelerated successes against ISIS, yeah, it's mostly political #Resist bunk.

ETA: BTW, I do disagree with the title of the article. "Did Trump Beat ISIS". We may be currently "beating" them back, gained big MO, but it ain't over until the plus-sized, yet still as attractive as any other, female sings.

Last edited:

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I'm done with ******* CNN! I'm absolutely disgusted with them parading Gold Star families on their channel for views.

Kut, it's what the left-wing [STRIKE]propaganda machine[/STRIKE] news media does and has done for quite some time. When there is an R in the whitehouse, seek out the Gold Star families who disagree with the occupant of the WH. Or split screen the Prez on vacation with flag draped coffins arriving at Dover AFB.

It's just who they are, what they do... sharks are gonna bite... I'm heartened to see you are disgusted with it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Kut, it's what the left-wing [STRIKE]propaganda machine[/STRIKE] news media does and has done for quite some time. When there is an R in the whitehouse, seek out the Gold Star families who disagree with the occupant of the WH. Or split screen the Prez on vacation with flag draped coffins arriving at Dover AFB.

It's just who they are, what they do... sharks are gonna bite... I'm heartened to see you are disgusted with it.

Maybe I'm cynical but I suspect he is pointing out something that has nothing to do with CNN

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home

You're taking him seriously. When you realize it's all part of his shtick, it will make more sense.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom