The 2017 General Political discussion thread, Part 2!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The temporary relief of the Jones act has expired, and the Trump administration has decided not to renew it. Meaning a doubling in prices of goods from the US mainland.

15% of the island has power, 77% of grocery stores are open, and 78% of gas stations. Less than 300 miles of road are open, and less than 60% have safe water.

#MAGA

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    The temporary relief of the Jones act has expired, and the Trump administration has decided not to renew it. Meaning a doubling in prices of goods from the US mainland.

15% of the island has power, 77% of grocery stores are open, and 78% of gas stations. Less than 300 miles of road are open, and less than 60% have safe water.

#MAGA

My understanding is that it would take months to move all of the materiel already at port IF ALL OF THE PR TRUCK DRIVERS showed up... at last count, last week, only 15-20% were.

The logistics chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and shipping ain't it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My understanding is that it would take months to move all of the materiel already at port IF ALL OF THE PR TRUCK DRIVERS showed up... at last count, last week, only 15-20% were.

The logistics chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and shipping ain't it.

So why do you think that PR drivers arent showing up to work after a devastating hurricane, that left 300 miles of open road in the major cities, where schools are closed, on an island that has 15% power? Hey maybe the Puerto Ricans are taking the opportunity to take a vacation.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So why do you think that PR drivers arent showing up to work after a devastating hurricane, that left 300 miles of open road in the major cities, where schools are closed, on an island that has 15% power? Hey maybe the Puerto Ricans are taking the opportunity to take a vacation.

If 15-20% ARE showing up, why aren't the rest?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If 15-20% ARE showing up, why aren't the rest?

I'll ask this first, do you think they aren't showing up simply because they don't want to work or show up? What is your inclination as to why they may not be showing up, based on my earlier post.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll ask this first, do you think they aren't showing up simply because they don't want to work or show up? What is your inclination as to why they may not be showing up, based on my earlier post.

I read a few days ago it was because the trucking union there has decided not to show up until FEMA meets their terms and demands. I don't know if that's true, though. That said, if 15 to 20% are showing up, I see no reason more can't show up.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I read a few days ago it was because the trucking union there has decided not to show up until FEMA meets their terms and demands. I don't know if that's true, though. That said, if 15 to 20% are showing up, I see no reason more can't show up.

It's not.
    Look at it this way. The port in in San Juan, and that's where the majority of the unobstructed roadways are. If one lives in San Juan, then getting to work in infinitely easier, assuming you can get gas, and assuming your car wasn't disabled, or home destroyed, during the storm. Next you have to think about looters, as I'm sure you have heard about the some unsavory individuals taking advantage of the situation. Only a very small portion of the island has mobile phone service. Are you willing to leave your family to go to work, and accept that you will not be able to contact them during your working hours? You have that much confidence in their continued safety, given what's unfolded? But let's say you have a working car, hoarded a bunch of cash (ATMs aint working) to buy goods, but you live outside of San Juan. Do you take your chainsaw and try to clear the roadway of debris so you can get to work, or do you try to get your home in order and look towards the safety of your loved ones (the elderly, the infirm, and the young)?

So if you don't think the above are valid reasons for many of the drivers not showing up, what reason, honestly do you believe that they are not showing up? Do you think that they don't have issues that they believe are of more of a concern?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

Who cares why? The fact is they aren't. But I guess you want to try to weave this into some sort of anti-Trump narrative on the Jones Act?

I think we know where you will want to go with this, so why are you asking?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well the roads suck. There are looters. But if it comes down to sitting at home watching my kids go hungry, or going out, helping clear roads, and bringing provisions back, I know what my choice would be. For me, there would be no bigger issues than watching my kids slowly starve.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Who cares why? The fact is they aren't. But I guess you want to try to weave this into some sort of anti-Trump narrative on the Jones Act?

I think we know where you will want to go with this, so why are you asking?

I'm absolutely clear you don't. Doesn't take much to guess why. But you can either continue you trolling, or you can actually speak on the merits of the argument... but I suspect, you will troll and try to make this about members, rather than address the situation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well the roads suck. There are looters. But if it comes down to sitting at home watching my kids go hungry, or going out, helping clear roads, and bringing provisions back, I know what my choice would be. For me, there would be no bigger issues than watching my kids slowly starve.

These aren't supply runs that benefit their own neighborhoods JBomb, these are general distribution runs. The drivers may be dispatched to areas far away from their homes, and no one knows for how long.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm absolutely clear you don't. Doesn't take much to guess why. But you can either continue you trolling, or you can actually speak on the merits of the argument... but I suspect, you will troll and try to make this about members, rather than address the situation.

Not trolling any more than you are, Kut. I really dont care why they aren't showing up. The reasons dont matter to me. I even suspect that there are all sorts of totally valid reasons, like they aren't able to get to their trucks, distribution centers, etc. Or, they are trying to salvage their homes, or provide shelter for their families.

But it doesn't matter why. The facts are they aren't showing up and it has nothing to do with the Jones Act, suspended or not.

I presume you are a bright guy and can see that.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    These aren't supply runs that benefit their own neighborhoods JBomb, these are general distribution runs. The drivers may be dispatched to areas far away from their homes, and no one knows for how long.

Maybe so. But it all works together. If I clear the roads to my neighborhood, and someone else clears the roads to their neighborhood, then the distribution runs can come to both our neighborhoods. But only if we're all making it happen. If we instead all sit at home waiting for someone else to do it, we get what we get.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Kut, so if the Jones Act suspension were reinstated, suddenly truck drivers would show up? That’s what you seem to be implying.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I think truck drivers from the rest of the United States should leave their families and jobs, pay their own way to PR and deliver the goods to the poor PR people who obviously can't or won't do it for themselves.

Where's your sense of compassion and charity.

The old saying, "Charity begins at home." That is unless you are PR.

C'mon Bigtanker where is your heart?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    On the mainland it’s simple. We hear of first responders, truck drivers, construction workers, electrical workers all flock to these disasters to help. They do it because it’s easy to drive there. A lot fewer people can travel to an Island.

Kut, it’s not just because of government response that Florida and the Texas coast are able to recover faster. They can’t get the volunteers where they’re needed like they can on the mainland.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    On the mainland it’s simple. We hear of first responders, truck drivers, construction workers, electrical workers all flock to these disasters to help. They do it because it’s easy to drive there. A lot fewer people can travel to an Island.

Kut, it’s not just because of government response that Florida and the Texas coast are able to recover faster. They can’t get the volunteers where they’re needed like they can on the mainland.

Nope, pretty sure it's racism...and Trump. Or is that the same thing?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Again, I did NOT bring up truckers. With the expiration of temporary Jones Act restrictions, the people in Puerto Rico, are again paying approximately double for goods. At this point and time does that seem like a good idea? If the infrastructure of Texas or Florida were in the same shape as Puerto Rico currently is, and private businesses were doing this, we'd call this gouging. The president himself said the was asked by people in the shipping industry to not lift the Jones act. Do you think they asked this because of logistics or because of money? Explain to me how this isn't the legal gouging of American citizens.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom