Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I worry about my own morality, if others want to be immoral, that is their problem.

Providence has given our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as privilege and interest of a Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. - William Penn

Governments, like clocks, go from the motion men give them; and as governments are made and moved by men, so by them they are ruined too. Wherefore governments rather depend upon men than men upon governments. Let men be good and the government cannot be bad…But if men be bad, let the government be never so good, they will endeavor to warp and spoil it to their turn…[T]hough good laws do well, good men do better; for good laws may want [lack] good men and be abolished or invaded by ill men; but good men will never want good laws nor suffer [allow] ill ones. - Edward Johnson

Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable character. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men… - John Jay

When you become entitled to exercise the right of voting for public officers, let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers, “just men who will rule in the fear of God.” The preservation of government depends on the faithful discharge of this duty; if the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made, not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the laws; the public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of the citizens will be violated or disregarded. If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws. - Samual Adams (emphasis added)

When a citizen gives his suffrage to a man of known immorality he abuses his trust; he sacrifices not only his own interest, but that of his neighbor, he betrays the interest of his country. - John Witherspoon

When the righteous rule, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan. - Noah Webster

My worry Nate, is that your pursuit of prosperity will lead us to poverty (in manifold meanings).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just a Captain Obvious observation, but why don't they ever seem to interview intelligent people?

Mark Dice loves to show of how smart he is and stupid everyone else is for not jumping on board with his Libertarian views and conspiracy theory agenda. I'd like to see the tables turned on him and someone asks him some questions about Builderberg.

ETA:
    He's based in Los Angeles...You have to work with what you have.....
    OK, that's the right answer.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Providence has given our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as privilege and interest of a Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers. - William Penn

Governments, like clocks, go from the motion men give them; and as governments are made and moved by men, so by them they are ruined too. Wherefore governments rather depend upon men than men upon governments. Let men be good and the government cannot be bad…But if men be bad, let the government be never so good, they will endeavor to warp and spoil it to their turn…[T]hough good laws do well, good men do better; for good laws may want [lack] good men and be abolished or invaded by ill men; but good men will never want good laws nor suffer [allow] ill ones. - Edward Johnson

Nothing is more essential to the establishment of manners in a State than that all persons employed in places of power and trust be men of unexceptionable character. The public cannot be too curious concerning the character of public men… - John Jay

When you become entitled to exercise the right of voting for public officers, let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers, “just men who will rule in the fear of God.” The preservation of government depends on the faithful discharge of this duty; if the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted; laws will be made, not for the public good so much as for selfish or local purposes; corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the laws; the public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of the citizens will be violated or disregarded. If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws. - Samual Adams (emphasis added)

When a citizen gives his suffrage to a man of known immorality he abuses his trust; he sacrifices not only his own interest, but that of his neighbor, he betrays the interest of his country. - John Witherspoon

When the righteous rule, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan. - Noah Webster

My worry Nate, is that your pursuit of prosperity will lead us to poverty (in manifold meanings).

I couldn't disagree more, most founders were diests. This is the argument middle eastern countries make, that that politics should some how be concerned with legislating the majority religion over the minorities.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sharia Law much?

I worry about my own morality, if others want to be immoral, that is their problem.

You have to realize that most Christians, myself included, have an evidence based Faith....There is scientific evidence as well as historical evidence that seem to point that our Faith is at least a reasonable conclusion....Not saying there is enough evidence to show it's correct, but there is enough for a reasonable person to believe that it's true....Part of that is the belief in an eternal life....Like jetta says, if one believes in an eternal life, as we do, then morality comes in to play for us...Jetta also pointed out in his post that it's an outlook that we have....

The gist of what passes for "law" in Christianity is basically love every body, love God, believe I (Christ) is who I said I am, and do unto others as you would have done to you....

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You have to realize that most Christians, myself included, have an evidence based Faith....There is scientific evidence as well as historical evidence that seem to point that our Faith is at least a reasonable conclusion....Not saying there is enough evidence to show it's correct, but there is enough for a reasonable person to believe that it's true....Part of that is the belief in an eternal life....Like jetta says, if one believes in an eternal life, as we do, then morality comes in to play for us...Jetta also pointed out in his post that it's an outlook that we have....

The gist of what passes for "law" in Christianity is basically love every body, love God, believe I (Christ) is who I said I am, and do unto others as you would have done to you....

If all Christians practiced those beliefs we'd be far better off and not need debate gay cupcakes.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    This is the argument middle eastern countries make, that that politics should some how be concerned with legislating the majority religion over the minorities.

I think no matter one's Faith or lack of thereof that a couple of these rules are something we can all agree on....

HeartofTenCommandments.png

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If all Christians practiced those beliefs we'd be far better off and not need debate gay cupcakes.

And this too.

I couldn't disagree more, most founders were diests. This is the argument middle eastern countries make, that that politics should some how be concerned with legislating the majority religion over the minorities.
    Even deist have moral compasses. And as far as I know, no of those I quoted were deist.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And if all folks believed in religious freedom we would not have freedom hating fascists trying to force a business to go against their religious beliefs over a ^&&^%ing confection....

Are Christians supposed to do into others and love their neighbors or refuse service to gays?

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think no matter one's Faith or lack of thereof that a couple of these rules are something we can all agree on....

HeartofTenCommandments.png

But there are also a couple we should absolutely not have to live by, definitely not a good list if you had to pick 10 ultimate rules. I want to buy booze on sunday like the heathen I am.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Are Christians supposed to do into others and love their neighbors or refuse service to gays?

I own a gun shop and refuse service to folks all of the time...I still love them and love them as my neighbors...

Trying to force someone to go against their religious convictions is not very neighborly but yes I still love them....If a Kentuckian tries to seduce his sister and she refuses the service does she love him any less????? No, of course not.....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    But there are also a couple we should absolutely not have to live by, definitely not a good list if you had to pick 10 ultimate rules. I want to buy booze on sunday like the heathen I am.

I do buy booze on Sundays like the back slider I am...I told you young man...You got to get closer to Kentucky!!!!:)

Any Hoosier in southern Indiana knows this name...Mike Walsh's...Open on Sunday and you can just watch the Hoosier plates going through the drive thru in downtown Louisville and heading back across the 2nd street bridge...:)

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And this too.

Even deist have moral compasses. And as far as I know, no of those I quoted were deist.

My point is that the founders weren't all Christians yet they managed to put together a good form of government. Christianity and morality shouldn't be conflated, they've been at odds for centuries.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I own a gun shop and refuse service to folks all of the time...I still love them and love them as my neighbors...

Trying to force someone to go against their religious convictions is not very neighborly but yes I still love them....If a Kentuckian tries to seduce his sister and she refuses the service does she love him any less????? No, of course not.....

For what reason do you refuse service? You think that's equivalent to not selling cupcakes to gay folks?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Christianity and morality shouldn't be conflated, they've been at odds for centuries.

You got a point jludo but one should not conflate all the folks that call themselves Christians with the concepts laid down by Christianity ....You can make a case that many Christians have been at odds with morality but to make the case that Christianity itself is at odds with morality is a fight that Hitchens, Harris, and Dawkins would not even attempt to make....It's just not accurate...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    For what reason do you refuse service? You think that's equivalent to not selling cupcakes to gay folks?

A vibe...Hard to quantify but I trust it....

I know you research things so I know you know gay couples search out openly Christian Bakeries to ask for their cup cakes at....Not so much Muslim bakeries....They are show boats looking for a chance to whine and play victim....I love freedom and that kind of Fascist picking and choosing to find a way to be offended goes against my Libertarian beliefs...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My point is that the founders weren't all Christians yet they managed to put together a good form of government. Christianity and morality shouldn't be conflated, they've been at odds for centuries.

I probably don't want to open this door, but just where do you think morality comes from?

And just what about morality is at odds with Christianity?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom