• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If I had to camp here, I would probably start with homosexualty/marriage being a choice and an action, not a state of being. Forcing me to participate in a type of union of which I religiously disapprove is demanding my tacit approval of something my system of belief does not accept. Conversely, serving a or more black customers does not require me to participate in blackness. Going down this tangent, serving a Black Panther function, with their overtly racist positions is another matter, just like requiring Jews to serve Nazis or blacks to serve the KKK.

I will also admit that I am not exempt from human nature. I get a lot more particular when I am the one getting kicked in the nuts.

Ahh so your qualms not with ideological consistency but that being gay is a decision you should be able to discriminate against?

That all said I highly doubt when anyone gets to Heaven God will give them grief for selling cupcakes to gay folks.

But that's just crazy religiousless me , thinking we should just treat everyone on earth with decency while we're here. After all an omniscient God might just confuse your basic human decency with a tacit approval for the gay lifestyle.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    REALLY good article at fivethirtyeight:
    Election Update: Why Clinton Doesn?t Have This Race Locked Up | FiveThirtyEight

Not written by Silver (although he has a different article about how badly Trump is doing), but has some good points. Even addresses the polling issues. And although clickbaited as a Not-So-Fast-Hillary article, it explains how candidates leading in the polls at this point in the cycle went on to win. Sure, some of the losers made it close, but they still lost.

One of his most compelling comparisons (brief as it may be) is casting Trump as Hubert Humphrey. Don't worry - it makes sense. :D

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ahh so your qualms not with ideological consistency but that being gay is a decision you should be able to discriminate against?

That all said I highly doubt when anyone gets to Heaven God will give them grief for selling cupcakes to gay folks.

But that's just crazy religiousless me , thinking we should just treat everyone on earth with decency while we're here. After all an omniscient God might just confuse your basic human decency with a tacit approval for the gay lifestyle.

Not exactly. While I acknowledge that even sorting out what would be perfectly consistent could be a challenge, my point is that actively participating in something scripturally prefaced with 'Thou shalt not' is far different from, say, serving a gay couple dinner, in which case you have not become party to that violation of your religion. If we are being ideologically consistent, no one would be compelled to render any service for anyone they chose not to.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Not exactly. While I acknowledge that even sorting out what would be perfectly consistent could be a challenge, my point is that actively participating in something scripturally prefaced with 'Thou shalt not' is far different from, say, serving a gay couple dinner, in which case you have not become party to that violation of your religion. If we are being ideologically consistent, no one would be compelled to render any service for anyone they chose not to.

Scripture says not to sleep with men, how do you get don't serve them cupcakes from that?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I was in Ohio all last weekend, and everybody I talked politics with were Trump fans.

I was also down in Florida during the Florida primary, and even though every commercial on TV was a Trump smear, the people were fully behind him.

I have a few Facebook freinds and family from all over the country that were feeling the Bern, but I don't hear a peep out of them about Hillary.

Lol, where in Florida?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It was several years back, but I can say that when I spent a month in Florida, all the folks of Hispanic descent I spoke with were adamantly opposed to illegal immigration. As they saw it, their families did it properly and so should everyone else.

If they told you that, they we're telling you what they thought you wanted to hear. They may oppose illegal immigration, but generally not for the reasons they told you... which honestly, I would've rolled my eyes at.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not like I was in Little Havana; I was in the Tampa, Clearwater area.

That place is fairly conservative for being so far south, but trust me, outside of snow bird bastions, it's opinions aren't universally held.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    .... why:

CqKv7skWAAE8tDp.jpg:small

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Scripture says not to sleep with men, how do you get don't serve them cupcakes from that?

There is a huge difference between serving food in the general sense and doing so for a ceremony celebrating that prohibit practice of 'sleeping' with other men.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If they told you that, they we're telling you what they thought you wanted to hear. They may oppose illegal immigration, but generally not for the reasons they told you... which honestly, I would've rolled my eyes at.

Can you share with me how you developed this conclusion?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Surely you see that it's in Mississippi, and not in some state with a remote chance of not going hard-red.

It's another pointless event... held by the guy who, day by day, looks like he doesn't want to win.

It is an excellent strategy if he follows up with the second phase I anticipate. Right now is not the time to go after Hillary given the short attention span and short memory of the average voter. Filling in this time shoring up the base and reassuring those in 'flyover' territory that they are neither forgotten nor taken for granted is a brilliant move, assuming, of course, that he spends September hammering Hillary in early voting states and October hammering her in general, focusing on races where there is an actual contest.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Surely you see that it's in Mississippi, and not in some state with a remote chance of not going hard-red.

It's another pointless event... held by the guy who, day by day, looks like he doesn't want to win.

i like the fact that he isn't taking states like Mississippi, and Indiana for granted.

Besides, it will look great speaking to a packed house in a friendly state on YouTube, and social media.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is a huge difference between serving food in the general sense and doing so for a ceremony celebrating that prohibit practice of 'sleeping' with other men.

That's a huge difference? You think If you sell your cupcakes out of a store front to a gay guy Gods cool with it but if you serve them at the wedding Gods going to get mad at you?

I'm sure an omniscient God knows you disapprove of gay sex whether or not you cater a gay wedding.

It is funny though that Christians can extrapolate from a verse something which clearly isn't there (dont cater gay weddings) yet can explain away the literal text which says gays should be put to death.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    That's a huge difference? You think If you sell your cupcakes out of a store front to a gay guy Gods cool with it but if you serve them at the wedding Gods going to get mad at you?

I'm sure an omniscient God knows you disapprove of gay sex whether or not you cater a gay wedding.

It is funny though that Christians can extrapolate from a verse something which clearly isn't there (dont cater gay weddings) yet can explain away the literal text which says gays should be put to death.
    I don't know why we always have to get bogged down in this crap, this nation has real problems.

I like how Trump steers clear of these issues, hopefully his vp can do the same.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom