Spare pistol mag: Bullets to the front? Or to the rear?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you carry your spare magazine?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Well , I have not seen but one person post a slowed down drill doing that , the rest are using a timer to do a drop mag fast reload drill .

So please, someone video a tactical reload .

I'm quite sure there will be no 1.34 secs Tactical Reloads and that's okay .

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKNSH9tuxY8[/ame]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is where I admit my lack of training..
    Hmm. So, forgive me for answering a question with a question, but.. if I were out of rounds, and an attacker was in close, why wouldn't I reload?

Perhaps my thinking is wrong on this..

Well, I'm no expert either, but I do know that not all problems are best solved with the pistol. I think that it's unlikely that someone could expect to successfully complete a reload under those circumstances unless the threat chooses to not close the gap.

If your gun is empty and your threat is still viable and close enough to touch you, I would suggest two major branches of options. One is to move away immediately and once you achieved enough to distance to safely complete a reload, then you could probably do it as long as you keep moving and maintain or extend the gap, then address the threat as necessary, also while moving and maintaining or increasing the gap.

The other route (which would probably work better in most situations) would be to use means at your disposal other than the pistol (as a firearm). You could use the pistol as an impact weapon, etc. or any other close quarters skills, tools, or abilities you may possess to help you break contact and re-establish enough distance to do what you need to do.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    The other route (which would probably work better in most situations) would be to use means at your disposal other than the pistol (as a firearm). You could use the pistol as an impact weapon, etc. or any other close quarters skills, tools, or abilities you may possess to help you break contact and re-establish enough distance to do what you need to do.

:yesway:

magnum_strike.jpg

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    how are you not turning your wrist? still looking for a clear video demonstrating your method... please!!!

UGH!
    I don't have a video camera, we gave our good camera to our son when he got stationed in Hawaii! lol

I have tried to describe it, esrice has posted pics, I dont know what else I can do but try to describe it again... :(

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Well, I'm no expert either, but I do know that not all problems are best solved with the pistol. I think that it's unlikely that someone could expect to successfully complete a reload under those circumstances unless the threat chooses to not close the gap.

If your gun is empty and your threat is still viable and close enough to touch you, I would suggest two major branches of options. One is to move away immediately and once you achieved enough to distance to safely complete a reload, then you could probably do it as long as you keep moving and maintain or extend the gap, then address the threat as necessary, also while moving and maintaining or increasing the gap.

Makes perfect sense, thanks!

THIS is why I need more training (when I can afford it)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Several others and I have posted our opinions on video.

I'd love to just see ONE from one of the fifty some who voted facing rear.

I can't tell didly from Rob's video

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm gonna be honest. I started carrying my spare mags the way I do because of rhino. I remember asking him in my first training class.

I actually received the majority of my training knowledge from rhino.

I gotta admit I'm a lil proud of that :D

WileECoyotee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Huntington.IN.
    Several others and I have posted our opinions on video.

I'd love to just see ONE from one of the fifty some who voted facing rear.

I can't tell didly from Rob's video

Why not show a Tactical Reload in your video ? Your videos were not close to doing what Esrice was trying to do in his drill .

That's what started all of this in the first place .

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Why not show a Tactical Reload in your video ? Your videos were not close to doing what Esrice was trying to do in his drill .

That's what started all of this in the first place .

I haven't practiced a tac load for speed since I last shot idpa several years back. :rolleyes: Efficiency and economy of motion, etc dont matter very much when you have TIME to get the gun topped off (vs a situation the gun is empty or you're low and you need it back in the fight right NOW).

Technique is very much the same. If you use the method where you stow the old mag first, there is effectively no difference. This is the fastest method over-all since there is only one trip to the belt. In the time you are stowing and grabbing, you only have one round in the gun.

If you use the technique where you grab the new mag, swap at the gun, then replace the old, the technique only varies slightly. The index finger comes off the bullet and down the strong side of the mag (held between thumb and index finger), and you eject the old mag between the index finger and the middle fingers (pads of both in your palm). This gives you a good look at the well and the new mag to insert. This is the fastest method to get the gun topped off, but is slowest over all because it requires two trips to the belt.

First method is what I used the majority of the time in IDPA cause it was the fastest over all. Second method is my default way to top off cause it's faster to top off the gun, and I can always just drop the old mag instead of stowing it to get back on the trigger if need be (a rule violation in idpa, btw).

-rvb

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't practiced a tac load for speed since I last shot idpa several years back.

Just to clarify, when I brought this up several pages back I wasn't looking at it from a speed aspect. I was trying their "bullets rearward" method and I kept jabbing myself with the partial mag and couldn't get the fresh one to seat efficiently.

First method is what I used the majority of the time in IDPA cause it was the fastest over all. Second method is my default way to top off cause it's faster to top off the gun, and I can always just drop the old mag instead of stowing it to get back on the trigger if need be (a rule violation in idpa, btw).

Excellent points.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll stick to topping off my pistol thanks.

Point being, you don't know if a lull in action is actually that. And if there is, it wouldn't matter which way bullets were facing. You grab a mag from front pocket, back pocket, car, backpack, man purse or wherever.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Show me where in the first post where anyone said anything about a "tactical reload". The question was how we carry mags and why.

The Thinking Gunfighter: THE MYTH OF THE TACTICAL RELOAD

Nice read Hickman. I can't disagree with this logic. I have often wondered this myself. Why would I need to reload the gun?

1) gun is out of cartridges - no reason to retain the mag
    2) gun malfunctions - could be a bad mag so why retain it? Of course that assumes I happen to have a spare mag.
    3) lull in action - that would be hard to determine. What I want is more rounds in my gun as fast as possible with as little requirement for fine motor skill as necessary. Hopefully I don't need more shoots later. Of course a person can pick mags up off the ground.

I admit I don't practice my tactical reloads as much as I should. Usually I just release the mag and then insert a new one. No rushing the process just hit the hole and run the slide.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Point being, you don't know if a lull in action is actually that.

Sure I do. If I'm not actively shooting/fighting, its a lull. I know this because I just scanned and assessed my surroundings. Part of assessing is determining if I need to fight again immediately, or if I have the opportunity to top off.

And if there is, it wouldn't matter which way bullets were facing. You grab a mag from front pocket, back pocket, car, backpack, man purse or wherever.

While I agree that we should be able to retrieve mags from all those places effectively, why not set yourself up for success in advance by placing them consistently?

Top Bottom