• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    As a recent (ok, 2 years now) central IN transplant, I’m curious: do folks here always get this excited when there is snow in the forecast or is this some kind of recent psychological effect that say Dr Robert Malone would comment on? I mean, I’m not from that far north of here, but I don’t seem to recall quite this much hand-wringing about the recurring effects of seasonal changes. Present company excepted, of course.
    ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm gonna have to try that. I do wish it were thicker. The best of both worlds would be to have the real maple flavor with the thick consistency of the fake stuff.
    I lived in an apartment with my wife on a maple syrup farm. I helped gather sap a couple times and he gave me some of the first tapping. It was almost clear in color and I have never had any better.

If you like thick though, you wouldn't like this. It was very thin. But man was it good.

At this point I'd be thrilled to find some light amber syrup since getting first tap is probably reserved for special people. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    As a recent (ok, 2 years now) central IN transplant, I’m curious: do folks here always get this excited when there is snow in the forecast or is this some kind of psychological idea that say Dr Robert Malone would comment on? I mean, I’m not from that far north of here, but I don’t seem to recall quite this much hand-wringing about the recurring effects of seasonal changes. Present company excepted, of course.
    ¯\_( ツ)_/¯
    I grew up in Michigan in a time when we received heavy snowfall every year. It wasn't a big deal.

But as the decades have marched on, winters have become less...well wintry. Maybe it's living farther south for me, but I hear that even in Michigan the winters have gotten milder.

Since accumulating snows are so infrequent around here I suppose folks get excited about it. Brings one back to harder, but simpler times when we dug each other out, jumped on our snowmobiles and headed downtown or just built a snow fort. And for older folks like me, to sit inside a warm home that I have worked hard for sipping some drink of choice watching the snow pile up has a almost mesmerizing effect.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And only in Indiana do you leave work wearing a sweatshirt, and 24-36 hours later you are a foot deep in snow. SMH

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    That is risky. There is a VERY short period of time between finely finished syrup (which will about always be thinner than corn syrup) and a smoking mess of burned black goo. I am not happy that I know this.
    I've seen it made, but don't know how it's made.
    I wasn't sure if, during manufacturing, it could be boiled a bit longer to help thicken it.
    I guess maybe not. It works for gravy. :dunno:;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Kroger Private Selection brand of grade A amber. Good value and yes, the real thing beats the corn syrup crap by miles. Always have some on hand. It's one of those luxuries that's worth the slight extra cost.
    But, to add value most folks do not dump tons of maple syrup on their food, it has a robust flavor that does not require drowning the food in it. Even better is I use more salted butter to bring out its flavor.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    But, to add value most folks do not dump tons of maple syrup on their food, it has a robust flavor that does not require drowning the food in it. Even better is I use more salted butter to bring out its flavor.
    Honestly these days I don't use much syrup now that the twin grand kids aren't with us. What I do use it for would probably be really good with real maple syrup. I get these maple french toast bagels from Aldi and I use them to make bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches. I drizzle a little bit of (fake for now) syrup on the cut sides of the bagel before putting the bacon egg and cheese on it. :drool:

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    Honestly these days I don't use much syrup now that the twin grand kids aren't with us. What I do use it for would probably be really good with real maple syrup. I get these maple french toast bagels from Aldi and I use them to make bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches. I drizzle a little bit of (fake for now) syrup on the cut sides of the bagel before putting the bacon egg and cheese on it. :drool:
    Bacon and syrup... it's bacon.and.syrup.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    frenchtoast3.jpg

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    As a recent (ok, 2 years now) central IN transplant, I’m curious: do folks here always get this excited when there is snow in the forecast or is this some kind of recent psychological effect that say Dr Robert Malone would comment on? I mean, I’m not from that far north of here, but I don’t seem to recall quite this much hand-wringing about the recurring effects of seasonal changes. Present company excepted, of course.
    ¯\_( ツ)_/¯
    And to piggyback off of @gregkl, the more recent generations are more buried in their phones and take everything for granted that it just “works” or “is in stock” and basically just live for the moment, rather than having any modicum of preparedness, like how we grew up.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ¯\_( ツ)_/¯
    When I was hearing "ice" I was worried. Snow I can handle. Ice sucks wherever whenever

Top Bottom