• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Only acceptable with real maple syrup. I bring my own to restaurants because they always have the corn syrup crap. Yes. I'm that guy, but I'm not the only one.
    Life is too short to eat bad syrup.
    So do I! How do folks eat that artificial flavored corn syrup? Real maple syrup is a gift from god. My best guess is they are addicted to the super sweet of corn syrup as it is exponentially sweeter than sugar.

Speaking of sweet, most americans cannot appreciate fruit, research indicates that the super sweet corn syrup sweeteners have altered the brain expectations of sweet. Go on an Atkinson style diet without all the artificial crap for a year and see how sweet fruit is then. It is amazing. Right @HoughMade ?

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    So do I! How do folks eat that artificial flavored corn syrup? Real maple syrup is a gift from god. My best guess is they are addicted to the super sweet of corn syrup as it is exponentially sweeter than sugar.

Speaking of sweet, most americans cannot appreciate fruit, research indicates that the super sweet corn syrup sweeteners have altered the brain expectations of sweet. Go on an Atkinson style diet without all the artificial crap for a year and see how sweet fruit is then. It is amazing. Right @HoughMade ?
    I can appreciate ripe fruit. Not that crap they pick a month before harvest time, and store in warehouses to later be gassed to achieve color. That crap is tasteless, and usually hard as a rock.
    We have several farmers within a short drive, that pick fruit at the peak and sell cheap. There's not much like, a piece of fruit, that was picked only hours before, and biting it and letting the juice flow on a warm summer day.
    My grandparents farmed various fruits, with grapes as one. My grandfather made his own wine, using Concords.
    I helped him bottle a few times, and once, he went to get more corks, and a couple of pints found it's way to my belly. I was around 9 or 10, and it tasted more like juice, than wine. Until I stood up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It is so much fun participating in an epic INGO thread hijack! LOL

So I bought a delicious gallon of maple syrup from a sugarbush in Door County WI from a little old lady whose family had been in that farm over 100 years. I cried one day when I went to the pantry and found it had mold in the remaining half gallon. I saw a phone number on the jug and I called it, the little old lady answered, she said honey your syrup if fine, just run it through a fine filter, then boil it good and put it in a clean bottle. She said the house was too warm and to put it in the refrigerator. I have never had maple syrup go bad since.

I like to keep maple syrup on hand, I like the grade B best, it has more flavor. I also keep bourbon barrel aged on hand as well.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Going grab some wood tonight.. just because I need to.. but probably put the blade on the ranger, takes about 5 minutes. Drive 50 miles to work tomorrow and see how the weather dishes out . We get what we get when we get it is what my dad always said

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

i won't buy any of that fake corn syrup stuff. It sometimes accidentally makes it way into the house in other forms, because my husband doesn't read labels like I do.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    i won't buy any of that fake corn syrup stuff. It sometimes accidentally makes it way into the house in other forms, because my husband doesn't read labels like I do.
    It's in just about everything now.
    Corn syrup isn't good for you, but not nearly as bad as the high fructose stuff. The reason the high fructose is bad, is it's processed to a simple sugar, and the body doesn't need to break it down. It passes directly to the blood stream. So I've read.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Stopped at the grocery during lunch to pick up some hot sauce for a recipe tonight. What a nightmare, the lot was full. All the checkout lanes were open and people were waiting in line for each one a 1/4 way down the shopping aisle with full carts. I left and will change my recipe tonight.

It's amazing to me how many people deny the usefulness of having Winter tires. Too many think that AWD or 4WD is all you need.
    I always remind them that 4WD is what makes you GO but it is the tires that make you STOP (and corner) safely.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's in just about everything now.
    Corn syrup isn't good for you, but not nearly as bad as the high fructose stuff. The reason the high fructose is bad, is it's processed to a simple sugar, and the body doesn't need to break it down. It passes directly to the blood stream. So I've read.
    We have removed HFCS from our diets. My son is allergic to it so even though he doesn't live at home anymore, we just got all of it out of the house so if he does visit, no harm can be done.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Fired up and gassed the genny. Fired up and gassed up the snow blower. Went grocery shopping for food.

And more importantly picked up 3 cases of yuengling lager.

I’m all good for whatever happens lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dang all this talk about maple syrup, beer and bourbon makes me jealous. Sounds like some of you are prepared to stay at home and just enjoy life. It's looking more and more like they will be pretty much having all hands on deck at work... except for the "non essential" office workers and most of management.
    Here at home we should be in good shape for the predicted conditions. Snow storms like these make me long for my youth and the unexpected snow day off

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Kroger Private Selection brand of grade A amber. Good value and yes, the real thing beats the corn syrup crap by miles. Always have some on hand. It's one of those luxuries that's worth the slight extra cost.
    I'm gonna have to try that. I do wish it were thicker. The best of both worlds would be to have the real maple flavor with the thick consistency of the fake stuff.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It is so much fun participating in an epic INGO thread hijack! LOL

So I bought a delicious gallon of maple syrup from a sugarbush in Door County WI from a little old lady whose family had been in that farm over 100 years. I cried one day when I went to the pantry and found it had mold in the remaining half gallon. I saw a phone number on the jug and I called it, the little old lady answered, she said honey your syrup if fine, just run it through a fine filter, then boil it good and put it in a clean bottle. She said the house was too warm and to put it in the refrigerator. I have never had maple syrup go bad since.

I like to keep maple syrup on hand, I like the grade B best, it has more flavor. I also keep bourbon barrel aged on hand as well.
    You would like Sortilege Maple Syrup whiskey (if we could get it in this country). Man, is that smooth!

We have occasionally had to skim and reboil syrup due to failed seals, but not often.

Would like some Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale to make being snowed in better, but I'm not going shopping now. I'll have to settle for Bailey's. Yum!

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    I did groceries on Sunday afternoon. Fired up the snow blower yesterday (I do like the extension cord hook up for the first start in a while) after pulling/checking the plug and filling the tank. Cranked over the old CJ-5 this afternoon just because it's so much fun in the big snows and it will start easier tomorrow and Thursday. I do have an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof waiting for a special occasion...might be nice to sip while watching the snow come down!

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I'm gonna have to try that. I do wish it were thicker. The best of both worlds would be to have the real maple flavor with the thick consistency of the fake stuff.
    Could it be boiled longer to reduce the water content?
    Wakarusa has the Maple Syrup Fest, and we get a gallon the years we attend.
    And for those that like Porta Pit, they have all you can eat buffet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Could it be boiled longer to reduce the water content?
    Wakarusa has the Maple Syrup Fest, and we get a gallon the years we attend.
    And for those that like Porta Pit, they have all you can eat buffet.
    Probably could, but that would just make it that much more expensive by the time you boiled part of it away. :):

Top Bottom