• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I learned how to drive in the snow in a 69 Camaro! Dad said find a parking lot and turn it inside out. Did the same with my kids in a pickup. If you can start a slide, you can stop a slide.

I had two 'oh poo' times in that particular Camaro. Once was the snow was high enough I was plowing it with the front lip. I wasn't stuck, but the car did *not* like it and it was the only time it ever burned oil. I ended up having to stop in East St. Louis after dark to get gas and oil. That was not a good feeling. ESL is, and always has been, a great place to get stabbed.

The second, there was no way to stop the slide. I got back to Ft. Riley, pulled in to my barracks parking lot, and it was an ice rink. I parked, got out, and as soon as I shut the door the car started sliding sideways down the gentle grade. Pre-keyless entry so I got to chase my car down, unlock it, get in, and hit the brakes to start it again. I ended up coasting down to the bottom of the lot and sliding in to the curb to stop it. When your car is sliding unoccupied, that's slick.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I knew BBI when he had to be “on call” !
    I guess your not essential personal any longer?

I'm basically a third responder now. If I have to show up at a scene, things have gone terribly sideways. My job is basically getting resources for guys who actually work, setting unit policy (within the confines of deparment policy) to try and make their workplace as decent as possible, and resolving conflicts in the unit or between units. Plus glorious, glorious paperwork and meetings. The meetings are mostly Zoom or equivalent these days, though. I've got good sergeants, so things seldom set fire.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After driving my Camaro in a blizzard I bought a Scout as a second vehicle. Ever since I've had a 4x4 of some sort, even if I didn't have a sports car. I can get out of I want to, but I have all my french toast supplies and going out would require putting pants on.

I won't venture out on ice unless it's pretty serious, though. I've yet to crash but I've had some "fun" times. Pursuit rated tires are not snow tires in the same way greased bowling balls are not snow tires.
    Pfft... Camaro. My first car was a 1960 Olds 98. Next car was a 1970 Ford station wagon. They went like bandits in the snow!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Around 67 there was a bad snow, Schererville area. Our school bus got stuck so we ended calling our parents from a home where we got stuck. Dad had a 53 Pontiac, dark green, with bias ply and snow tires, could have been studded, don’t remember. Heck I was only 7. Dad made it to us and took us home along with as many of the other rugrats we could fit into that beast, whose homes were close to being on our route home.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or they are lazy and dont back up and do the 3rd pass on your block because it takes too much time. Our block is 300' long and 3 passes wide. The pattern the contractor makes will do the entire 1500' length in three passes. but the way they do it, causes them to not do our section unless they stop at the corner and back up to do the entire stretch on that last pass, not just starting on the far side of the stop sign where they come back around.

So here the 3 of us are, with an ENTIRE driving lane worth of snow blocking our drives and mailboxes. :wallbash::wallbash::xmad:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mine was a 77 Ford Ranchero. I did that a lot! Heck, I still do it any and every chance I get..
    Taught my kids the same way. Laff square shopping center parking lot. Sunday morning. 10"s of snow and ice.
    We practiced all morning with both kids. Next weekend the same thing as a lot of the lot was not cleared off. My kids could hang one out in a controlled slide as far as they wished and pull it back under them. 85 MontiCarlo SS with posi.
    Great fun and I was sure they would do just fine no matter the conditions.
    Crazy thing is they both ended up with 4WD's as daily's.

Top Bottom