• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My mom was pregnant with youngest brother. Musta been something in the water in the preceding months because many of our neighbors were also knocked up.

She had a doc appointment scheduled in the days after the blizzard that she was sure would be cancelled. Good old Doc Able called and said he'd come to her.

He got somebody to drive him around on a snowmobile making house calls to check up on all the moms to be and many elderly patients of his.

One of the neighbors had went into labor during the worst of the blizzard. They had a 20 mile drive to get to the hospital in Elkhart. No way they could have made it. Doc Able told them to get to his clinic in Wakarusa. They got another neighbor who had a large V blade plow rigged up to the 3 point hitch on the back of his big John Deere tractor.

He cleared a path all way to town for them.

Doc Able showed up driving the fire department's 4X4 brush truck. He was just in time to open the lady's car door and catch the kid who wasn't willing to wait until they got inside. Probably one of the easiest deliveries, out of the more than 10,000, that ever did.

They don't make doctors like him anymore.
    No, they don't. They are a point in history.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Would love some wisdom from the group.

I’ve never had a gravel driveway. What are some best practices for clearing snow off gravel? It’s about 75 yards from the garage to the street. I used the snowblower yesterday and it took about an hour for a pathway for the vehicles to get through. However if it’s just about getting to the street I don’t think any of the vehicles would have trouble driving through the snow we just got (minus the sedan).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you have a gravel drive, you really need a 2 stage. With those you can set the skids low and keep the bottom of the scoop out of the gravel.

Reactions: Jin

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    36 and rainy in Tennessee. Will check in later hopefully from Florida where it’s supposed to be in the high 70’s today, or so mom says.
    IMG_20220203_103006705_HDR.jpg
    Does this answer your question?

Commiserating with my Hoosier brethren and sistren but it was no mistake I've been in Florida all week. Every year when I've tried to plan something for my birthday it's been postponed by weather so I concluded the most likely week for bad winter weather is the week of my birthday. Therefore I booked my birthday in Florida and I don't regret it at all!

Also ran into two other Hoosiers who thought they were heading back a few days ago but are still here.

Feel free to hate my guts... My whole family does. I invited them to come but I wasn't going to put a gun to their head.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im actually looking forward to using my snowblower. At the end of the season last year I replaced the crap plastic slides that wear down quickly with metal slides that include a metal roller in the center. I was having to adjust it every year due to wear on those plastic slides. After all I was pretty much running them along a rasp every time I used them. So they didnt last long.

The great thing is before to get it into the minibarn I'd have to tilt it back, set the end on the floor, lift the rear and then walk it into the barn until I could get the wheels on the floor. Now I just lift the back and push and it rolls right in.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    1ft measured and drifts over 3ft in town. Haven’t seen a State plow go past on the highway since 8am. Still snow and gusty winds in Fountain county

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Wow! Just looked at the radar, and I gotta say, I'm impressed. Don't think I've ever seen a system like this - stretches from Mexico to Canada, and has to be at least 400 miles wide.

We're out of it's path here in NWI, but the rest of y'all stay safe!

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    View attachment 179550
    Does this answer your question?

Commiserating with my Hoosier brethren and sistren but it was no mistake I've been in Florida all week. Every year when I've tried to plan something for my birthday it's been postponed by weather so I concluded the most likely week for bad winter weather is the week of my birthday. Therefore I booked my birthday in Florida and I don't regret it at all!

Also ran into two other Hoosiers who thought they were heading back a few days ago but are still here.

Feel free to hate my guts... My whole family does. I invited them to come but I wasn't going to put a gun to their head.
    As the Great Karmac would say, May the flees of a thousand camels invade your armpits!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I went out to remove snow for the first time. The base layer was some kind of frozen concoction that my shovel couldn't get under. My neighbors must think I'm crazy as I scraped the entire driveway with a 6" (yup I measured it against a known standard) floor scraper.

But following shovelings will be a breeze now! My plan is to get out there every 2" or so to relieve my back a bit. Shouldn't take but 20-30 minutes each time.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Would love some wisdom from the group.

I’ve never had a gravel driveway. What are some best practices for clearing snow off gravel? It’s about 75 yards from the garage to the street. I used the snowblower yesterday and it took about an hour for a pathway for the vehicles to get through. However if it’s just about getting to the street I don’t think any of the vehicles would have trouble driving through the snow we just got (minus the sedan).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't stack the snow in the grass. Set up the blade a bit and go slow. All I got.

Reactions: Jin

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Nice taco! I'd like to get an access cab model one day.
    I have a 2009 with 123,000 miles on it. It`s showing it`s age inside and out, but I love this old truck. Would I get a newer one if I could afford it? Absolutely, I`d love to get a TRD-Pro off road package, but it`s not in the cards. So, I`m going to hang on to this one, and hope she keeps going till 250,000. That ought to be as long as I`m here I recon.

Attachments

• Tacoma 2.jpg
      Tacoma 2.jpg
      853.7 KB · Views: 8

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I had to put on the knee high waders to walk my dog.

He’s half husky. He’s in heaven bouncing around like a damned bunny rabbit.

This picture was taken mid storm yesterday and we got another 6-8 inches on top of that, so whatever that total is.

I’m still sore from being molested by my roof.

My snowblower is woefully under powered.

Cracked a snow shovel and had to pull out the metal coal shovel.

F7DA12C2-70F3-4BD5-BDE0-4615471B73BD.jpeg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I had to put on the knee high waders to walk my dog.

He’s half husky. He’s in heaven bouncing around like a damned bunny rabbit.

This picture was taken mid storm yesterday and we got another 6-8 inches on top of that, so whatever that total is.

I’m still sore from being molested by my roof.

My snowblower is woefully under powered.

Cracked a snow shovel and had to pull out the metal coal shovel.

View attachment 179609
    I've been plowing that for 36 hours. Took a nap then back at it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Epic! I remember everyone had big rear-wheel drive's with no traction. I remember volunteers with snowmobiles delivering groceries, along with the national guard.

I was about 10, so I may be mixing things together, but wasn't there a coal strike at the same time? I recall Christmas Break > regular snow days > BLIZZARD snow days > closings due to energy shortage/cost. When we did have to go, they consolidated elementary schools together and it was a logistical disaster and nothing productive happened.

That one was Awesome Winter for a 10 year old and his little brother!
    I was 13 or 14, and I hated it...lol. I was so bored playing Monopoly with my family, and my "boyfriend" at the time lived in the country, and supposedly phone lines were down. I acted like a brat! I'd appreciate being snowed in a lot more now, but I've never liked Monopoly since then!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom