• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    WLAF is pretty much buried. Slush yesterday, then 6 inches of blowing snow. Most places shut down early, crept home about 2:30 pm. Plows went out about 10, and we’re looking at another 3 inches today.
    So it goes.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have fond memories of that storm. An exclamation point on my last year of high school and that chapter of my life.
    Our first winter in Indiana after moving down from Grand Haven. We had three snowmobiles so all was good. Couldn't believe how unprepared Fort Wayne was.

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    The Winter of 78 called, he laughed and hung up.
    Epic! I remember everyone had big rear-wheel drive's with no traction. I remember volunteers with snowmobiles delivering groceries, along with the national guard.

I was about 10, so I may be mixing things together, but wasn't there a coal strike at the same time? I recall Christmas Break > regular snow days > BLIZZARD snow days > closings due to energy shortage/cost. When we did have to go, they consolidated elementary schools together and it was a logistical disaster and nothing productive happened.

That one was Awesome Winter for a 10 year old and his little brother!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Our first winter in Indiana after moving down from Grand Haven. We had three snowmobiles so all was good. Couldn't believe how unprepared Fort Wayne was.
    Speaking of snowmobiles, for three days during that storm my friends and I were snowmobiling non-stop. We even rode them to downtown Flint one day.

I still remember my mom being so mad that I would get up, eat breakfast, come home for lunch/dinner and was back out until late into the evening.

There were no cars on the road, it was declared a snow emergency so we were allowed to run them on the streets. Fun times!

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    Would love some wisdom from the group.

I’ve never had a gravel driveway. What are some best practices for clearing snow off gravel? It’s about 75 yards from the garage to the street. I used the snowblower yesterday and it took about an hour for a pathway for the vehicles to get through. However if it’s just about getting to the street I don’t think any of the vehicles would have trouble driving through the snow we just got (minus the sedan).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville

I’ve never had a gravel driveway. What are some best practices for clearing snow off gravel? It’s about 75 yards from the garage to the street. I used the snowblower yesterday and it took about an hour for a pathway for the vehicles to get through. However if it’s just about getting to the street I don’t think any of the vehicles would have trouble driving through the snow we just got (minus the sedan).

Drop the shoes on the blower so it doesn't scrap the ground.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    36 and rainy in Tennessee. Will check in later hopefully from Florida where it’s supposed to be in the high 70’s today, or so mom says.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Epic! I remember everyone had big rear-wheel drive's with no traction. I remember volunteers with snowmobiles delivering groceries, along with the national guard...
    My mom was pregnant with youngest brother. Musta been something in the water in the preceding months because many of our neighbors were also knocked up.

She had a doc appointment scheduled in the days after the blizzard that she was sure would be cancelled. Good old Doc Able called and said he'd come to her.

He got somebody to drive him around on a snowmobile making house calls to check up on all the moms to be and many elderly patients of his.

One of the neighbors had went into labor during the worst of the blizzard. They had a 20 mile drive to get to the hospital in Elkhart. No way they could have made it. Doc Able told them to get to his clinic in Wakarusa. They got another neighbor who had a large V blade plow rigged up to the 3 point hitch on the back of his big John Deere tractor.

He cleared a path all way to town for them.

Doc Able showed up driving the fire department's 4X4 brush truck. He was just in time to open the lady's car door and catch the kid who wasn't willing to wait until they got inside. Probably one of the easiest deliveries, out of the more than 10,000, that ever did.

They don't make doctors like him anymore.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have fond memories of that storm. An exclamation point on my last year of high school and that chapter of my life.
    77 was actually worse down Washington County way, drifts and -20 temps. It gets invoked like "the flood of 13".

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    77 was actually worse down Washington County way, drifts and -20 temps. It gets invoked like "the flood of 13".
    I was 10 years old and living in Da Region (Hambone) for the Blizzard of '67. For me, *that* was epic. Walking down the middle of Columbia Avenue at 2 PM, climbing onto the garage roof and jumping off after a free-fall of 2 feet, school closed for 3 days (no e-learning, though). My dad was snowed in at work for 2 days, and ended up getting paid double time and a half to sleep. Playing king of the hill on the playground snowhills well into March...

'78? Meh. I was a junior at ISU. My memories are limited to classes being closed for a day, and having to walk to the liquor store to grab the last 2 cases of Stroh's they had.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Raise the blower section of the machine and leave an inch or more on the gravel. You still may sling a few rocks along the way.

Reactions: Jin
    Top Bottom