• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You’re much less likely to encounter them but the woke white defenders of social justice will call out “acting white” in a pejorative sense and if you’re an influencer, try to cancel you.
    C'mon bro. You're speaking on something you don't have the tools to know. My experience contradicts your belief. I also haven't seen "woke" White people telling Black people they're "acting White." Influencers aren't "acting White," they're seem more opportunists that give coverage to certain "ideas," by giving White people a POC face that they can hold up, to support the beliefs that many other POCs disagree with.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    C'mon bro. You're speaking on something you don't have the tools to know. My experience contradicts your belief. I also haven't seen "woke" White people telling Black people they're "acting White." Influencers aren't "acting White," they're seem more opportunists that give coverage to certain "ideas," by giving White people a POC face that they can hold up, to support the beliefs that many other POCs disagree with.
    let me add that the black influencers/rappers are today's minstrels. they are used as another way to divide america. that is why they get more coverage than the everyday people no matter what color.

ETA: i have been told by white people, directly (as you said an indirect insult) and by insinuation, that i act too white

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    let me add that the black influencers/rappers are today's minstrels. they are used as another way to divide america. that is why they get more coverage than the everyday people no matter what color.

ETA: i have been told by white people, directly (as you said an indirect insult) and by insinuation, that i act too white
    Join the club!
    -White Brothers with Different Skin Colors.
    Est. 2021

K&G Productions

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think we’re talking about two different kinds of instances. I assume the tools you say I don’t have is that I’m not a black man with the lived experience of a black man. And that’s true. But this is a specious claim often used by people who want to shut down the conversation. That, because I don't have the tools to know exactly your experience, that I don't get to speak about what I see, or have an opinion about it. I have eyes, and I know how to draw conclusions from facts I see. And that since you haven't experienced people behaving like this, I understand your disbelief.

So about my claim, I’m saying it looks to me like there’s a woke meaning around "acting white" in addition to the cultural meaning you’ve experienced, because I've seen various CRT/woke authors/promoters talk about it. That when a black person associates with white people who have not pledged to be “Antiracists” ("Antiracist" in the Ibram X Kandi sense) you’re acting white or white adjacent. Especially if you’re an influencer, you’ll get called out by woke people, and that includes woke white people. And I'm not saying "influencer" to say it's someone with a negative influence. I'm just saying it's someone with a large reach. So to grillak's point, it's not necessarily minstrels.

For one example, is Daryl Davis someone I'd consider has a positive influence. I mean he got KKK members to quite the KKK just by hanging out with them, letting them get to know him. Having read a spectrum of articles about that, I think woke people didn't know whether to agree with him, ignore him, or cancel him. A couple of years ago Woke white people (mostly Antifa types) tried to cancel Davis for speaking at an event where other white anti-woke people were speaking.

Now I don't doubt that you've not experienced that yourself. I said in the post you quoted that it's not likely to happen to you. You're very unlikely to get on the radar of woke activist white people. But, the fact that you've never experienced it is not evidence that it's not real, and my own inability to experience it first-hand myself doesn't make my claim invalid.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Influencers can be positive or negative. They're just people who have a large platform because a lot of people know who they are and care what they think. That's the sense I was talking about. People like Thomas Sowell, I think are generally positive influencers. But a woke white person would have no problem throwing racial slurs at him because he's not in their tribe.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think we’re talking about two different kinds of instances. I assume the tools you say I don’t have is that I’m not a black man with the lived experience of a black man. And that’s true. But this is a specious claim often used by people who want to shut down the conversation. That, because I don't have the tools to know exactly your experience, that I don't get to speak about what I see, or have an opinion about it. I have eyes, and I know how to draw conclusions from facts I see. And that since you haven't experienced people behaving like this, I understand your disbelief.

Agreed. I find the whole "you can't possibly understand where I'm coming from because you're not black" to be especially specious. That argument can very easily be turned around to relate to any race, gender, or whatever. You can't possibly know the travails of being white. Constantly told you're an oppressor, even though you've never oppressed anyone. That you have privilege that you know full well you don't, etc. You do not have to be a black person to get along with, or understand black people, same as for any other race. Otherwise, how would we ever, as humans, get along? Would every separate race pick a different continent, state, island or something to live segregated from every other race so that we wouldn't interact? Where does that stop? I don't understand women because I'm not a woman. I don't understand homosexuals or trans individuals because I'm straight and perfectly happy being male. This is just a stupid argument meant to shut down the conversation, as jamil stated. How else are we supposed to reconcile and try to work together and coexist in a country where we all live together? We have to understand we come from different backgrounds and life experiences and move on past that to try to do what needs done. Throwing up arguments like this just keeps us divided and not communicating, for no good reason.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    And I'm not saying "influencer" to say it's someone with a negative influence. I'm just saying it's someone with a large reach. So to grillak's point, it's not necessarily minstrels.
    i guess i should have quantified my definition.

the majority are minstrels. and they do have a negative affect. the one's who are stressed as "successful" are the one's who spend $28 million on a watch. who buy a $3400 onesie for a baby. who spend $500k on a bday party. who sell dope for 30 yrs and claim that it came from their rap career. who in every photo stand there with their mouth open showing off $4k worth of gold teeth. who are being promoted as what my children should strive for because they're black.

yes. they are minstrels. they are not doing anything positive for any community.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    being responsible. following laws. showing respect. not waiting on handouts.

you know....being a responsible citizen...
    Well I wouldn't necessarily say those are attributes that are distinctly white. There are plenty of white people that don't act in such a responsible manner.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just for clarification. What does "acting to white" mean?
    I don't know what others think it is, I know this....

I act me, I don't let outside actors change the way I act.

I know no other way to act, I do not pretend to be someone I am not, I do not act a certain way to satisfy a individual or individuals around me, if they can't handle that, then it's on them.

I don't try to act white, black, red or purple with pink polka dots.

I think one of the major malfunctions in this world is people assuming you should act a certain way by the color you are.

People know the old saying, ASSUME, A$$ out of u & me.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Too white sounds like Huck Finn describing his father.;)

"There waran't no color in his face, where his face showed it was white: not like another man's white, but white to make a body sick, a white to make a body's flesh crawl, a tree toad white, a fish belly white."

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Influencers can be positive or negative. They're just people who have a large platform because a lot of people know who they are and care what they think. That's the sense I was talking about. People like Thomas Sowell, I think are generally positive influencers. But a woke white person would have no problem throwing racial slurs at him because he's not in their tribe.
    i love mr sowell. but he is not being put in front of our children on a majority basis. ask the average 5th grade class who he is. then ask that same class who floyd mayweather is.

i really nees to clarify some of my statements. but i'm at work and , for some reason, everyone needs to speak to me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agreed. I find the whole "you can't possibly understand where I'm coming from because you're not black" to be especially specious. That argument can very easily be turned around to relate to any race, gender, or whatever. You can't possibly know the travails of being white. Constantly told you're an oppressor, even though you've never oppressed anyone. That you have privilege that you know full well you don't, etc. You do not have to be a black person to get along with, or understand black people, same as for any other race. Otherwise, how would we ever, as humans, get along? Would every separate race pick a different continent, state, island or something to live segregated from every other race so that we wouldn't interact? Where does that stop? I don't understand women because I'm not a woman. I don't understand homosexuals or trans individuals because I'm straight and perfectly happy being male. This is just a stupid argument meant to shut down the conversation, as jamil stated. How else are we supposed to reconcile and try to work together and coexist in a country where we all live together? We have to understand we come from different backgrounds and life experiences and move on past that to try to do what needs done. Throwing up arguments like this just keeps us divided and not communicating, for no good reason.

You are obviously "oppressor-adjacent" because you normalize "whiteness" by living as a white person who doesn't think about race. Living so, you're incapable of being Antiracist (you're not an activist participating in tearing down all the social institutions because they're systemically racist) and therefore you support the oppression of non-whites.

That's the kind of language you hear from critical race theorists.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You are obviously "oppressor-adjacent" because you normalize "whiteness" by living as a white person who doesn't think about race. Living so, you're incapable of being Antiracist (you're not an activist participating in tearing down all the social institutions because they're systemically racist) and therefore you support the oppression of non-whites.

That's the kind of language you hear from critical race theorists.

Which is exactly why I find CRT to be full of :poop:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Modified to include critical gender theory: Math is a social construct created by cis gender white males to oppress people of color, women, and people of non-binary genders.

Top Bottom