• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm white and I don't expect anyone to act like me. For God's sake just be yourself and try to be the best that you can be and represent some basic universal values that we all can share. Be respectful of others when it's warranted and show some respect for yourself.

Anything short of that for me personally would dishonor not only myself but more importantly my family.

Last edited:

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Modified to include critical gender theory: Math is a social construct created by cis gender white males to oppress people of color, women, and people of non-binary genders.
    what is really sad about the math bs....it is a black person at the US DOE that came up with it

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I'm white and I don't expect anyone to act like me. For God's sake just be yourself and try to be the best that you can be and represent some basic universal values that we all can share. Be respectful of others when it's warranted and show some respect for yourself.

Anything short of that for me personally would dishonor not only myself but more importantly my family.
    love it!

i'm steve. and if you really want to act like me...pay my light bill

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I think we’re talking about two different kinds of instances. I assume the tools you say I don’t have is that I’m not a black man with the lived experience of a black man. And that’s true. But this is a specious claim often used by people who want to shut down the conversation. That, because I don't have the tools to know exactly your experience, that I don't get to speak about what I see, or have an opinion about it. I have eyes, and I know how to draw conclusions from facts I see. And that since you haven't experienced people behaving like this, I understand your disbelief.

So about my claim, I’m saying it looks to me like there’s a woke meaning around "acting white" in addition to the cultural meaning you’ve experienced, because I've seen various CRT/woke authors/promoters talk about it. That when a black person associates with white people who have not pledged to be “Antiracists” ("Antiracist" in the Ibram X Kandi sense) you’re acting white or white adjacent. Especially if you’re an influencer, you’ll get called out by woke people, and that includes woke white people. And I'm not saying "influencer" to say it's someone with a negative influence. I'm just saying it's someone with a large reach. So to grillak's point, it's not necessarily minstrels.

For one example, is Daryl Davis someone I'd consider has a positive influence. I mean he got KKK members to quite the KKK just by hanging out with them, letting them get to know him. Having read a spectrum of articles about that, I think woke people didn't know whether to agree with him, ignore him, or cancel him. A couple of years ago Woke white people (mostly Antifa types) tried to cancel Davis for speaking at an event where other white anti-woke people were speaking.

Now I don't doubt that you've not experienced that yourself. I said in the post you quoted that it's not likely to happen to you. You're very unlikely to get on the radar of woke activist white people. But, the fact that you've never experienced it is not evidence that it's not real, and my own inability to experience it first-hand myself doesn't make my claim invalid.
    In most instances, I would agree that the "It's a Black thing you wouldn't understand" notion is specious. Not in this instance. You claim, as I took it, is that Black people are less/more "likely to encounter..." Short of riding in the back pocket of a Black person 24/7, How in the world could you possible know what the incidence of people saying certain things is. That's like me saying Asian people are less likely to encounter people who say "hi." There's not even a baseline for something so random.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So people that tell you are acting too white are doing so because you do all the things that grillak described?
    Thats the ultimate conclusion. Sometimes it’s related to stuff like, dress, speech, music tastes. Other times, it’s education, employment, and morality.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In most instances, I would agree that the "It's a Black thing you wouldn't understand" notion is specious. Not in this instance. You claim, as I took it, is that Black people are less/more "likely to encounter..." Short of riding in the back pocket of a Black person 24/7, How in the world could you possible know what the incidence of people saying certain things is. That's like me saying Asian people are less likely to encounter people who say "hi." There's not even a baseline for something so random.
    This explains it. You took it wrong, I think. I suspect that it's fairly common for you and other black people to encounter the kinds of people who marvel that you can put together a coherent sentence. But that's something that I'd have to take your word for. I don't really have the resources on my own to say how prevalent that is.

That's not the kind of "acting white" I'm talking about. It's acting "ideologically" white. In Indiana I don't think you're very likely to encounter a lot of white people woke enough to try to cancel you for "acting white". I don't think you're likely to encounter that because you don't strike me as the black right wing activist with enough social reach to get the attention of woke activists. So yes. I can indeed have a measure of confidence that you, specifically YOU, are not all that likely to encounter white woke activists insisting that you're acting white. They wouldn't be in your face simply because you've surprised them with your articulation. They'd be in your face if you weren't on board with what they think you should believe.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thats the ultimate conclusion. Sometimes it’s related to stuff like, dress, speech, music tastes. Other times, it’s education, employment, and morality.
    That's all well and good but the point I'm trying to make is that when anyone, black or white is accusing you of "acting too white" I can only take it to mean that they are'nt being complimentary.

So again. Why would they accuse you of "acting too white" for the positive attributes that grillak described in his post when those aren't exactly exclusive to whites?

I'm not buying that as the reason that both whites and blacks are accusing you of "acting too white"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That's all well and good but the point I'm trying to make is that when anyone, black or white is accusing you of "acting too white" I can only take it to mean that they are'nt being complimentary.

So again. Why would they accuse you of "acting too white" for the positive attributes that grillak described in his post when those aren't exactly exclusive to whites?

I'm not buying that as the reason that both whites and blacks are accusing you of "acting too white"
    I can’t remember a time when someone said, verbatim, “you’re acting too White.” Most often, it’s “You’re the Whitest Black guy I know,” “Oh, you really don’t know what it’s like to be Black,” “Why do you act like you’re White,” or “You wanna be White.” And yes, they are all because of “positive” things. And yes, typically it’s meant as a compliment from White people and an insult from Blacks.
    Remember when Biden called Obama “clean and articulate?” In his mind, he was complimenting him, not issuing an insult. That’s not atypical whether you buy it or not.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    i guess i should have quantified my definition.

the majority are minstrels. and they do have a negative affect. the one's who are stressed as "successful" are the one's who spend $28 million on a watch. who buy a $3400 onesie for a baby. who spend $500k on a bday party. who sell dope for 30 yrs and claim that it came from their rap career. who in every photo stand there with their mouth open showing off $4k worth of gold teeth. who are being promoted as what my children should strive for because they're black.

yes. they are minstrels. they are not doing anything positive for any community.
    Don't forget professional athletes. Another group that has some astoundingly bad role models.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    your conclusion is spot on. i don't wear my pants hanging off my @**. i try to speak "cleary & succintly". i listen to old school r&b, classic rock, and jazz. i can't stand this rap bs out now days. i have an education & i work everyday. i place family well being over money.

i had some hoods ask me if i was really black because i didn't care whether cardi b made more money than beyonce. hell..at the time i had never heard of cardi b. they got mad because i asked them what difference should that make to a grown man.

i once had a group of thugs plot to rob me because they thought i was soft. i pulled up in front of their neighbors house playing stevie wonder. lol

i don't fit what most blacks consider black.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I can’t remember a time when someone said, verbatim, “you’re acting too White.” Most often, it’s “You’re the Whitest Black guy I know,” “Oh, you really don’t know what it’s like to be Black,” “Why do you act like you’re White,” or “You wanna be White.” And yes, they are all because of “positive” things. And yes, typically it’s meant as a compliment from White people and an insult from Blacks.
    Remember when Biden called Obama “clean and articulate?” In his mind, he was complimenting him, not issuing an insult. That’s not atypical whether you buy it or not.
    me and a guy at work have a running joke about that. he heard me playing boston one day. he told everybody i'm the whitest white guy he's ever met. i told him he's the blackest black guy i've ever seen but i think he has vertiligo. that made a few "woke" people get their panties all knotted.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis

it's the crabs in the barrel syndrome. they feel that since they don't really want to accept responsibility for their actions thatthose of us who do must be sucking up to the white man.

i have employees that thought that because i'm black that i would "understand" & let them get away with half-@** doing their jobs. or let them miss a day of work a week. or disappear from work. the ONLY reason they felt that way was because i'm black. boy...you should have seen the looks when i started bouncing their a**es out the door.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well that just shows how ignorant Biden was for not recognizing that what he said was actually demeaning.

IMO it’s just as demeaning as when blacks tell you the same thing meant as an insult.

I would hope that you would see it as equally offensive and set them straight when they both tell you that.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    me and a guy at work have a running joke about that. he heard me playing boston one day. he told everybody i'm the whitest white guy he's ever met. i told him he's the blackest black guy i've ever seen but i think he has vertiligo. that made a few "woke" people get their panties all knotted.
    I don’t think it was meant to be a positive thing by saying that you’re the whitest black guy he’s ever met for playing Boston.

is that a positive attribute?

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Well that just shows how ignorant Biden was for not recognizing that what he said was actually demeaning.

IMO it’s just as demeaning as when blacks tell you the same thing meant as an insult.

I would hope that you would see it as equally offensive and set them straight when they both tell you that.
    i learned a loooong time ago not to take offence at words spoken in ignorance. when a white person says it i remind them that we should have the same goal, being a respectable person. when a black person says it, i ask them what have they done to make their community a secure, positive place to live.

most white people catch on. most blacks just call me uncle tom and then stand in line for foodstamps.

during the time i was married, my wife & i was looking at a house. we went by the house on a tuesday afternoon and like the neighborhood & house. we went back on a saturday evening & it was straight ghetto. thugs, drugs, and hoes.

i called the owner and told him we liked the house but wouldn't take it because of the troublemakers.

he said ,"yeah, i can't find any white people that want to buy it because of the way the blacks act." i told him i was black. he asked me if i was sure because i don't aound black. he then asked if my wife was black (he had spoken with her too). i told him we are both black.

he apologized profusely and my wife & i laughed. i told him real black people don't want to live around that mess either. we ended buying a house from one of his friends.

that was funny @** f**k!

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think it was meant to be a positive thing by saying that you’re the whitest black guy he’s ever met for playing Boston.

is that a positive attribute?
    it was a joke between us. if you know my full name you would get it.

i consider it a positive. how many black people do you know that will listen to boston as loud as the thugs with their bs and in public and know the words?

Top Bottom