• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Indiana has no port to speak of and would have to cross foreign land or airspace to export her products. That alone would render secession economically stupid on a monumental scale.

A state seceding is like a 12y/o kid saying he wants to leave the family.

Convince Gary that they can be an "international" port and they just might vote for ;)

Regarding leaving the family thing, I'd say Texas is about 17...it would be tough, but if dad didn't beat 'em to death for trying they could probably make it.

SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    While this thread is entertaining and allows for a broad range of imagination, it is an exercise in futility as most political rhetoric ultimately ends up being.

I enjoy the dialogue, but nothing will come out of it other than people debating one another, trying to prove their point, both sides claiming victory....

Wait, why did i post on this thread again........... hmmmmm. Oh well, when in Rome...

carry on

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    While this thread is entertaining and allows for a broad range of imagination, it is an exercise in futility as most political rhetoric ultimately ends up being.

I enjoy the dialogue, but nothing will come out of it other than people debating one another, trying to prove their point, both sides claiming victory....

Wait, why did i post on this thread again........... hmmmmm. Oh well, when in Rome...

carry on

:yesway:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Please share your thoughts. Which comments do you deem as "Fail"?

Well, I'm sort of late in the game to start quoting, but to sum it up.......

So far IN has approx. 16,000 online "signatures" in support of this consideration of secession. That's about .25% of our population.

How serious can you take that? And that's only to hear the Fed Gov address the "issue."

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Well, I'm sort of late in the game to start quoting, but to sum it up.......

So far IN has approx. 16,000 online "signatures" in support of this consideration of secession. That's about .25% of our population.

How serious can you take that? And that's only to hear the Fed Gov address the "issue."

And that is if all the signatures were from Indiana.... which they are not.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Then what exactly are you saying?
    I said exactly what I meant.

I have my opinion and have posted it. Why you seem to have a problem with my opinion I have no clue.
    I don't have a problem with your opinion.

You previously said I started this exchange. You should review this thread.

I just did. You're the one that introduce sarcasm into it. You're the one who thought he knew better than I what I meant and "got", and felt like you had to tell me as much. You're the one who keeps running it off on tangents that have nothing to do with my original comment. (Hint: it wasn't about the damn petition.)

You just keep quoting my with your subtle insults.
    Says the one who questioned my intelligence for his lack of a proper rebuttal. :rolleyes:

I do not know you or care to.
    :dunno: Is that supposed to upset me? I didn't assume you did. This is the internet. I don't take it personally. Anymore.

All the posts since I asked you what your suggestion would be and still no answer yet
    *sigh* Okay, here's how this breaks down. It's logically impossible for there to be a solution for a conclusion that can't happen. An impossible outcome sort of precludes a solution, by definition. If I offered a solution, it would mean that I think it would work. I don't think anything will work. Or more specifically, I don't think anything that has a chance in hell of happening will work. I know what will work. But it ain't gonna happen either, which brings us back to another logical impossibility: a solution that has no chance of being implemented isn't a solution at all.

I'm not avoiding your question.

you say I cannot format a response.
    Good grief. I didn't say that. I said you can't format a response without making assumptions about meaning or reading a bunch of stuff into that wasn't there.

Thread review (upon your suggestion):
    I said landlocked Indiana would be an economic nightmare. Your assumption was that I was saying landlocked nations couldn't survive.

I said talk of secession was a waste of time. Your assumption was that I was happy with the way things were going.

I said talk of secession was a waste of time. Your assumption was that I was criticizing those who signed the petition (and by implication, that I necessarily believe all who signed the petition are doing so because they want secession and think it can happen). [FYI: Contrary to your repeated assertions, I do understand that there are some who signed the petition as a means of communicating dissatisfaction with the status quo, that it was a symbolic gesture, that it was not an act to foment actual secession. I am also aware that there are those who signed the petition that would be more than happy to fire the first shot. None of that was ever the point.]

I said I didn't think a solution existed. Your assumption was that I was giving up.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So, we wander off into Indians and such. Stop it. The question is, do you think we're on a path you can accept, or not? Do you think you're better off staying with what we're stuck with, or that we should go off on our own and do what we think is right? If you're convinced we'll be ok waiting and fixing it later, don't sign the petition. If you think the path we're on will ruin us, sign it. Whichever way, accept the results, as we're expected to accept the results of the election. B**** as you see fit.

I'd be in agreement except for the false dichotomy you present.

Not signing the petition doesn't mean I am in agreement with anything. It means I think it's an exercise in futility and is not a viable avenue to change. It means I think secession is a cure that's possibly (probably) worse than the disease and can't in good conscience support it even for the symbolic nature. It means I have considered the impact of such a act and don't care to risk the small chance that it causes more harm than good in the long run.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So the first reply that you quoted me in. The thing about the 12 yo, that was not sarcasm.

No, it was not. It was an analogy. It meant that there are lots of good-sounding reasons to leave, but the reality of leaving has consequences that make the reasons for wanting to leave pale in comparison.

Just like the 12y/o may be leaving an abusive family, he would be facing no way to support himself. Likewise, Indiana would be leaving a centralized government that lorded it over her citizens, but it would not be able to operate as an independent sovereign nation sufficiently enough to survive.

I was saying the cure was worse than the disease.

My first post had nothing to do with you. No sarcasm was involved. We will have to agree to disagree.

I know. I know. Okay.

The only assumption I have made is that you believe you are intelligent.
    I listed four others just above this post.

I do not know if you are or not.
    As I said before moderately so. More so than the average American, but way behind the others at the far end of the bell curve. But that's irrelevant.

The part of your statement that I quoted, saying no solution that has a chance exists, seems to me that is giving up. To each their own. I am just simply calling it as I see it.

That's called an assumption. And it would be wrong.

This may not be important to you. It is important to me. Not this conversation but what this conversation is about.
    Is (a conversation about) secession important? No. Is lodging a symbolic protest vote through a petition for a violent (and make no mistake, no secession will ever be peaceful) ripping apart of our country important? No.

Am I concerned about the future? Yes. I don't have to sign a petition or foment secession to be concerned. You would have to make an assumption about me to come to the conclusion that I don't care just because I don't applaud/support the petition signers or advocate for a violent separation from the federal government.

I have 4 children. I grew up poor. I work a lot of hours and go through a lot of hardship to make sure they have the things I did not. I want to make sure they have the shot at going to college that I never did. I want them to grow up in a free country where they will have a chance at a better, easier life.
    That's great. I'm glad you still have hope left. I don't. And I'm acting accordingly. I'm sorry if that bothers you. It's not a judgement or criticism of your way of doing things.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I thought you were going to mine for trash in Guatemala? :laugh:

I'm not ruling anything out yet! If there were another bastion of freedom available in a place I'm more familiar with, well I'll give that a shot. I have finally convinced my wife that a "vacation" to Guatemala is certainly worth looking into so I am gradually making progress in that direction. I think she only agreed to make me shut up but when I give her the passport application on Saturday we'll see how she reacts!

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    You still here? Shouldn't you be packing to flee to Texas?

Ranger Walker is waiting for ya. :chuck:

So you're well versed in liberal tactics of mocking , belittling , name calling and how the white man screwed everybody , ok got it . :yesway:

You call it cowardice to secede , what are your suggestions to fix the problems the country faces ?

1: Tyrannical , corrupt gov't that no longer cares about the constitution or American sovereignty .

2: Flood of illegal immigrants that have no vested interest in maintaining the American way of life or conforming to American culture .

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    So you're well versed in liberal tactics of mocking , belittling , name calling and how the white man screwed everybody , ok got it . :yesway:

You call it cowardice to secede , what are your suggestions to fix the problems the country faces ?

1: Tyrannical , corrupt gov't that no longer cares about the constitution or American sovereignty .

2: Flood of illegal immigrants that have no vested interest in maintaining the American way of life or conforming to American culture .

As a liberal I doubt he acknowledges that there are problems.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Never fails to astonish me the number of liberals on gun forums. I wonder if any of them actually own guns? I expected there to be a few trolls around election time but they seem to be staying. :rolleyes:

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    2 things.
    1) In regards to the rounding up of Indians Happened a long time ago. My great grandmother could tell you about it if she was still alive. As she was herded west. But that was so long ago, America has changed. I would be willing to bet if you tried you could find an American of Japanese decent that would argue that point. WW2 not so long ago. If you don't think it can happen now you had better get someone to explain what the NDAA means.
    2) Divided we fall.
    I do not know if Succession is the way to go, BUT we can't keep up the current Farce. At least SOME of the Sheeeple are stirring.

Top Bottom