• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I put farm plates on one of my flatbeds a few years ago when I was a dealer. It was dedicated to hauling tractors and farm equip. The license branch said it was OK but the DOT guy said it was a No-No.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Well I started my new job today, and guess what I work on? Coach buses and school buses. LOL. And guess what? Our company has been in business for 70 years or so, and we have a safety director. He was out today, but I think I will ask him about the seatbelts and "fire safety" business. I will be getting back to you later.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Well I started my new job today, and guess what I work on? Coach buses and school buses. LOL. And guess what? Our company has been in business for 70 years or so, and we have a safety director. He was out today, but I think I will ask him about the seatbelts and "fire safety" business. I will be getting back to you later.

So what are you going to ask?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Then how would I know? Whatever the answer is, it will be educational. These charter buses are stainless steel skeleton frames though, and very low to the ground.

what part is low to the ground? the luggage compartment? or the passenger compartment? How are the seats arranged?

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    what part is low to the ground? the luggage compartment? or the passenger compartment? How are the seats arranged?

The frame which the bottom of the luggage compartment, and the engine/tranny in the back. I cant even get under it. Seats are like every other charter bus.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The frame which the bottom of the luggage compartment, and the engine/tranny in the back. I cant even get under it. Seats are like every other charter bus.

And how many stairs do you walk up to get to the passenger area?

Just because the luggage area is low doesn't mean the frame is. Generally the frame is above that (not always). The seats are probably close to make use of that compartmentalization thing discussed earlier in the thread.

My old school bus sounds like what you described. The frame was still far enough off the ground you could get under it if it didn't have the luggage compartments.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    And how many stairs do you walk up to get to the passenger area?

Just because the luggage area is low doesn't mean the frame is. Generally the frame is above that (not always). The seats are probably close to make use of that compartmentalization thing discussed earlier in the thread.

My old school bus sounds like what you described. The frame was still far enough off the ground you could get under it if it didn't have the luggage compartments.

I don't think you uderstand, the frame is a skeleton type, not like a school bus frame. It is literally a welded together stainless steel shell and the luggage compartment is just the bottom of it.
    Ankai_Frame.jpg

A lot of school buses (most I have seen IE Bluebird, Thomas) are on a Freightliner frame. Some around here are a International frame.
    ChassisMatrix500.jpg

MB55.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So you want to gamble the belts would make it safer and if a bus catches fire you will explain how those seat belts helped? According to this website over 2,000 bus fires a year.
    Knowing what to do in a school bus fire could save lives - AmericaNowNews.com

http://youtu.be/ksXI2tK16Dg
    Not sure how long the fire was going before they started recording, but at the 2 minute mark the fire department was just getting their gear ready to start putting out the fire.

No way I would be able to get kids out of a mess like that.

No, I want consistency and a little bit of intellectual honesty. I don't care if there are belts in the buses. My kids don't ride 'em. I just find the arguments against are wishy-washy.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't think you uderstand, the frame is a skeleton type, not like a school bus frame. It is literally a welded together stainless steel shell and the luggage compartment is just the bottom of it.

A lot of school buses (most I have seen IE Bluebird, Thomas) are on a Freightliner frame. Some around here are a International frame.

You are right, I did not understand that one.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    No, I want consistency and a little bit of intellectual honesty. I don't care if there are belts in the buses. My kids don't ride 'em. I just find the arguments against are wishy-washy.

The arguments for them are just as "wishy-washy".

Top Bottom