• ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This doesn't even need anything, just like it enough to requote it. :D

I would like to point out that teachers have aide's why not drivers?
    Actually, many school districts DO have aides on the buses. I've seen a number of buses in my area that have aides on them. I'd be willing to bet that there would be a few parent volunteers, at least in my neck of the woods.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Actually, many school districts DO have aides on the buses. I've seen a number of buses in my area that have aides on them. I'd be willing to bet that there would be a few parent volunteers, at least in my neck of the woods.
    Wasn't there a story not to long ago about an aide on a bus that was bullied to tears?

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    All the retarded programs and welfare BS in the world and you don't wanna make the children safer by spending a little bit? It doesn't infringe on any rights whatsoever.

Not sure special education should really be a factor in any conversation.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ok, so it comes down to you do not want your job to be more difficult
    Not at all. Please explain how you want me to keep the bus on time having to deal with issues such as seat belts? Or get the kids out in case of a fire.. oh wait, I brought up fire again didn't I? Kind of like how some keep saying seat belts in a roll over...

Seatbelt Debate: Some States Mandate School Bus Seatbelt Law - ABC News

They fail to understand how a bus works... compartmentalization and such.
    Just like you failed to understand the frame and what it is? Compartmentalization does nothing for side impacts or rollovers

School bus crash brings up seat belt debate - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
    I counter your link with this:
    Clinton Prairie Superintendent Chris Sampson said he can't said if installing seatbelts on buses is a good thing or not. He said in this case seatbelts may have made evacuating the bus much more difficult.

"The bus is on its side, and half of our kids would have been suspended in air if they were strapped in. And again, with the ages of kids, from kindergarten to sophomore in high school, they wouldn't have been able to get them out of those seatbelts and harnesses in that situation when the bus is on its side," Sampson said
    First off superintendents are merely political figures. I would rather my child be suspended in their seat in a tipover or rollerover situation than piled on top of each other and suffering from injuries from not only the impact of sudden stop but other children impacting them.

The Seat Belt Debate

Same bunch of info posted in most other links, not much to discredit, but again they don't seem to factor in every type of bus accident. Instead they just focus on rollovers, which is not every crash.
    You are only focused on fires and inability of driver to herd the students out fast enough for some reason.

Only because I do the job 5 days a week, know how the kids are not disaplined at school, how many times I have called home to talk to a mom or dad about their habbits on the bus incase of an accident and how they could get hurt. Does that help anything? NO, do I get to say this kid or that kid does not get to ride the bus? No.

Fires? same reason some are stuck on roll overs for some reason. Seat belts will only be helpful in certain situations just like the need to get them out quickly will only be in certain situations.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI

Guess I am missing the humor in that statement.....

So your proposal is to equip all buses with seatbelts, approximately 440,000 public school buses alone, plus all other buses at $5500-7500 each, nearly $2.5 to $3.3 billion for public buses alone, and add additional staff to make sure the seatbelts are buckled?

Buzzard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    I can't believe I read this thread all the way through, but since I did, I decided to throw something in to the debate. Figured I earned it. :)
    One thing to remember is that cars and busses are not constructed in the same manner structuraly. In my opinion this makes them difficult to compare, kind of like comparing apples and oranges. Your local fire dept could explain how quickly they can open a car like a can of sardines in no time at all, but cutting open a bus is a different game. And no, not just because of the size difference, I'm referring to the structural differences.
    This does not solve the seat belt debate (not my intent) I just want to point out that a bus and car will sustain completely different type of damage in the same wreck so to me it seems pointless to compare the injuries sustained between a car and bus (which was done earlier somewhere). If you want to evaluate seatbelt validity then you need to compare bus accidents with seatbelts to bus accidents without seatbelts. (apple/apple). Just something to think about.

FYI, I'm a FF and have done the "open a car like a can of sardines" thing.
    (not gonna lie that part is kind of fun!) :)

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I don't think the .gov should tell us we should wear our seatbelts or not. It's not their business if I bash my head against my steering wheel. I rarely wear my seatbelt and if I get into a crash that's on me for being unsafe. I'm just glad my truck doesn't beep like crazy when your seatbelt is unbuckled.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Depends on if their injuries were from getting thrown around at all wouldn't it? But it did not say.

They were not thrown around, they side swiped a pole. The pole snapped the passenger side mirrors off, through it around the inside of the bus. The injuries were from flying shards of glass caused by the mirror coming through the window.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Ok, it's been fun, but we will have to agree to disagree. Again I just drive a bus everyday, not sure what the rest of you do for me to understand your points of view better. I just hope some of you can see where I am coming from after a few years driving a bus.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Not at all. Please explain how you want me to keep the bus on time having to deal with issues such as seat belts? Or get the kids out in case of a fire.. oh wait, I brought up fire again didn't I? Kind of like how some keep saying seat belts in a roll over... Let's repeat everything again and again and again. You would need an aide. WTH? You are obsessed with this fire.

This is the space where you did not have a rebuttal.

Only because I do the job 5 days a week, know how the kids are not disaplined at school, how many times I have called home to talk to a mom or dad about their habbits on the bus incase of an accident and how they could get hurt. Does that help anything? NO, do I get to say this kid or that kid does not get to ride the bus? No. So you drive a bus and deal with kids, that makes you a safety expert on fires? I am responsible for the safety and operation of a lot of heavy duty vehicles, and this isn't my first rodeo with a bus. Doesn't mean I am an expert. just means I have an insight on the safety. Sounds like you doubt your abilites to protect children on your bus. And my kids bus driver has kicked them off the bus before, why can't you? My kid's are disciplined at school, I don't see your point here.

Fires? same reason some are stuck on roll overs for some reason. Seat belts will only be helpful in certain situations just like the need to get them out quickly will only be in certain situations.

There ya go.

Top Bottom