• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    6 children were killed in bus related accidents in 2010, 1,210 were killed in car accidents in 2010. If you were to figure what you would find proportionate, are cars safer?

If you break it down by the hour, there are .138 children killed per hour in car accidents a year (8760 hours).

If a child rides a bus 60 minutes a day, five days a week, 9 months a year (180 hours), that would be .033 death per hour.

I am not trying to argue, but like you, trying to figure out the safety of buses. If you see an issue with the math, please let me know, I am trying to wrap my mind around the stats as well.

Hate to bump my own post. I am guessing that everyone else hates math as much as I do, but would like to discuss the statistics if these seem correct. If not, I now know how to kill a thread.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I think it comes down to this. If it is on the road and has a passenger compartment, the law should be the same for everyone, cars, trucks, buses, and LEO. No exemptions.
    Exactly, semi drivers have to wear them.

That link does not do much to say seat belts save or hurt more kids on a bus. They didn't list any numbers of how many bus crashes they had in New Jersey they year they cited, nor how many in the previous years, how serious any of the crashes were. They simply took data to make it say what they wanted.
    Did you see the other links three posts above that? Do thousands of children need to die or get hurt for you to feel better?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Seatbelt Debate: Some States Mandate School Bus Seatbelt Law - ABC News

They fail to understand how a bus works... compartmentalization and such.

School bus crash brings up seat belt debate - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
    I counter your link with this:
    Clinton Prairie Superintendent Chris Sampson said he can't said if installing seatbelts on buses is a good thing or not. He said in this case seatbelts may have made evacuating the bus much more difficult.

"The bus is on its side, and half of our kids would have been suspended in air if they were strapped in. And again, with the ages of kids, from kindergarten to sophomore in high school, they wouldn't have been able to get them out of those seatbelts and harnesses in that situation when the bus is on its side," Sampson said

The Seat Belt Debate

Same bunch of info posted in most other links, not much to discredit, but again they don't seem to factor in every type of bus accident. Instead they just focus on rollovers, which is not every crash.

K - 12 - FamilyEducation.com

...Or not to buckle up
    Opponents of seat belts on large buses disagree, saying that they are not only unnecessary, but could also be hazardous. According to the NHSTA:

• Seat belts are of no value in the majority of fatal accidents.
    • More children are killed around school buses -- walking to and from the school bus stop -- than inside school buses.
    • No data proves conclusively that seat belts reduce fatalities or injuries on school buses.
    • School buses are specifically designed with safety in mind. They are heavier and experience less crash force than smaller cars and trucks. School buses also have high padded seats specifically design to absorb impact.
    • There is no guarantee that once installed students will use seatbelts. Studies have shown that mixed and improper use of seat belts can increase the risk of injuries.
    • There is concern that seat belts could be used as weapons to strike or choke other passengers.
    • Money proposed for seat belt installation could be better spent on other safety measures.

My responses are up there.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Did you see the other links three posts above that? Do thousands of children need to die or get hurt for you to feel better?

I read all three articles and could not find anything about thousands of children. Can you direct me to that statistic, long day and I must be missing it.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Exactly, semi drivers have to wear them.

The only thing these videos show are in roll overs, the only times a seat belt would help. What about in a fire? Or how about the kids that were on that bus in Heneryville where the tornado hit? If that was loaded, would all of the kids been able to get out in a hurry?

Thousands of kids injured? Most were injured outside of a school bus to get the numbers so high. Of those, some tripped on the bus or other injuries not caused by a wreck as stated in a couple of links posted earlier.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I think this speaks pretty well in favour of seat belts.

No Seat Belts

http://youtu.be/mW7KOZNtn0w

Kids with seat belts on (adult supervisor without)

http://youtu.be/Zicd030xoU8

I just drive a bus everyday, what do I know about buses?
    Would kids use the buckles to hit each other with, no never!
    Would they wear them properly? probably not.
    Is there a way I can check to make sure they are all put on and stay on properly? Not if you want me to get them home the same day.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Is there a way I can check to make sure they are all put on and stay on properly? Not if you want me to get them home the same day.
    If you can't keep discipline on your bus then you have a problem. The older kids could certainly use them correctly. Younger children might need help, but that's not an insurmountable problem. Ejection from a seat IS a problem. Not sure what you stand to gain from unsafe conditions. Maybe it just makes your job easier. As a parent I have to make sure that my kids are trained to buckle up, you shouldn't be immune to the same laws. Sorry if it inconveniences you.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I read all three articles and could not find anything about thousands of children. Can you direct me to that statistic, long day and I must be missing it.
    I was merely stating would that make him change his mind about the topic. He has discredited other number I have put up.

Seatbelt Debate: Some States Mandate School Bus Seatbelt Law - ABC News

They fail to understand how a bus works... compartmentalization and such.
    Just like you failed to understand the frame and what it is? Compartmentalization does nothing for side impacts or rollovers

School bus crash brings up seat belt debate - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
    I counter your link with this:
    Clinton Prairie Superintendent Chris Sampson said he can't said if installing seatbelts on buses is a good thing or not. He said in this case seatbelts may have made evacuating the bus much more difficult.

"The bus is on its side, and half of our kids would have been suspended in air if they were strapped in. And again, with the ages of kids, from kindergarten to sophomore in high school, they wouldn't have been able to get them out of those seatbelts and harnesses in that situation when the bus is on its side," Sampson said
    First off superintendents are merely political figures. I would rather my child be suspended in their seat in a tipover or rollerover situation than piled on top of each other and suffering from injuries from not only the impact of sudden stop but other children impacting them.

The Seat Belt Debate

Same bunch of info posted in most other links, not much to discredit, but again they don't seem to factor in every type of bus accident. Instead they just focus on rollovers, which is not every crash.
    You are only focused on fires and inability of driver to herd the students out fast enough for some reason.

K - 12 - FamilyEducation.com

...Or not to buckle up
    Opponents of seat belts on large buses disagree, saying that they are not only unnecessary, but could also be hazardous. According to the NHSTA:

Seat belts are of no value in the majority of fatal accidents.
    More children are killed around school buses -- walking to and from the school bus stop -- than inside school buses.
    No data proves conclusively that seat belts reduce fatalities or injuries on school buses.
    School buses are specifically designed with safety in mind. They are heavier and experience less crash force than smaller cars and trucks. School buses also have high padded seats specifically design to absorb impact.
    There is no guarantee that once installed students will use seatbelts. Studies have shown that mixed and improper use of seat belts can increase the risk of injuries.
    There is concern that seat belts could be used as weapons to strike or choke other passengers.
    Money proposed for seat belt installation could be better spent on other safety measures. Of course I decided to put links in that had points of the other side of the debate, because that is what I do. What is a debate if you constantly show things that only discredit your opponent? Children will use anything as a weapon, and I have always felt a driver's aide would be beneficial. Again the money could be spent elsewhere blah blah blah. Always money with schools. And have you ever hit the back of one of those seats? I have, as I have been in a school bus wreck. It isn't fun. Couple kids broke parts of their facial bones including noses.

My responses to your responses to my responses( yea....yea lol) are in bold.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The only thing these videos show are in roll overs, the only times a seat belt would help. What about in a fire? Or how about the kids that were on that bus in Heneryville where the tornado hit? If that was loaded, would all of the kids been able to get out in a hurry?

Thousands of kids injured? Most were injured outside of a school bus to get the numbers so high. Of those, some tripped on the bus or other injuries not caused by a wreck as stated in a couple of links posted earlier.
    You keep talking about bus fires, are they common? How many kids have been hurt by bus fires?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ok, so it comes down to you do not want your job to be more difficult

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Let's just say the bus is half full, and there are 25-28 kids on the bus, how on earth is a driver to monitor the seatbelts ofall those kids. That is the same as asking the pilot of a plane to monitor the seatbelts on his jet. Maybe the schools should hire stewards to give a pre-drive speech and make sure that all the tray-tables are upright. Then you guys would be asking for oxygen masks, flotation devices under the seats, and dollar cans of pop.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I just drive a bus everyday, what do I know about buses? I'd say you know how to do an inspection and drive a bus.
    Would kids use the buckles to hit each other with, no never!Children are mature, what makes you say that?
    Would they wear them properly? probably not. Again, driver's aide. Even as a kid I thought that was smart.
    Is there a way I can check to make sure they are all put on and stay on properly? Not if you want me to get them home the same day.I'll take "What makes my job more convenient for me?" for 1000 Alex. :rolleyes:

If you can't keep discipline on your bus then you have a problem. The older kids could certainly use them correctly. Younger children might need help, but that's not an insurmountable problem. Ejection from a seat IS a problem. Not sure what you stand to gain from unsafe conditions. Maybe it just makes your job easier. As a parent I have to make sure that my kids are trained to buckle up, you shouldn't be immune to the same laws. Sorry if it inconveniences you.
    This doesn't even need anything, just like it enough to requote it. :D

I would like to point out that teachers have aide's why not drivers?

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Let's just say the bus is half full, and there are 25-28 kids on the bus, how on earth is a driver to monitor the seatbelts ofall those kids. That is the same as asking the pilot of a plane to monitor the seatbelts on his jet. Maybe the schools should hire stewards to give a pre-drive speech and make sure that all the tray-tables are upright. Then you guys would be asking for oxygen masks, flotation devices under the seats, and dollar cans of pop.
    Driver's aide's!!!!!!

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    Ah, so we go from safe transportation with no seatbelts, to safe transportation with seatbelts and additional costs for personnel on every bus. Brilliant use of taxpayer money.
    Better than some of the crap they use it for, don't you agree? I mean obviously Brandon makes good money because I sure don't have a Beamer. Schools always gripe about money, yet they have surpluses every year. All the retarded programs and welfare BS in the world and you don't wanna make the children safer by spending a little bit? It doesn't infringe on any rights whatsoever.

Top Bottom