• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    in connection with agricultural pursuits that are usual and normal to the farming operation

this caught my eye. if you were traveling to rural king, a farm store, wouldnt that technically fall under the "usual and normal farming operation" part? maybe you were going there for parts or w/e. if a farmer was driving to the gas station to fill up his truck and take come diesel for his equipment, wouldnt he also fall under the same exemption?

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Seat belt is non-pointable, it is an equipment violation.

Regarding School Buses, there is a lot of debate about it, MSNBC had an interesting segment a few years ago (about the only thing I ever found interesting from there) about school bus safety and the philosophy of compartmentalization. I was looking for the video, but here is the web article: Why your child's school bus has no seat belts - US news - Life | NBC News

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    School bus injuries higher than thought - Health - Children's health | NBC News

Slips and falls on buses, getting jostled when buses stop or turn suddenly, and injuries from roughhousing are among other ways kids get hurt on school buses, the data found.

Not really the bus' fault, right? kids can trip and slip walking out to mom and dads car or getting in and out of it, same for turning or stopping suddenly... less likely maybe, but still very possible. More likely something in mom or dads car flies and hits the kids in the face.... Roughhousing, kids will do that anywhere.

SCHOOL BUS FATALITIES AND INJURIES

At the bottom of page 4 NHTSA states, “On average, over the past 11 years, school buses have been involved in over 26,000 crashes, resulting in less than 1,000 incapacitating injuries and slightly more than 7,000 non-incapacitating injuries and possible injuries to passengers.” The details are found in Table 3 on page six.

Slightly fewer then your 17,000 number you mention.

Related Statistics

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), there were an estimated 51,100 school bus-related injuries treated in U.S. emergency departments from 2001 to 2003, which averages to approximately 17,000 children injured in school bus accidents each year. This is the first study to describe nonfatal school bus–related injuries to U.S. children and teenagers treated in U.S. hospital emergency departments using a national sample. This study identified a much greater annual number of school bus–related injuries to children than reported previously.

Ok, this one has the number you listed, but says approximately, but also states other numbers from other sources. Who is more accurate I don't know. It also does not state what caused the injuries. Could of been a few hundred that had a bloody nose, seizures and such.

School Bus Injury Statistics

Since 1990, 1,450 people have died in school bus accidents and of these, sixty-seven percent were in other cars and vehicles and another 25% were pedestrians or cyclists.

92% of those injuries listed were people outside of a bus either in their car or walking...

Motor Vehicle Accidents and Fatalities - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau
    http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s1103.pdf :
    Buses
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    . . . .
    (Z)
    (Z)
    (Z)
    (Z)
    (Z)
    (Z)
    (Z)

How Many Driving Accidents Occur Each Year? | USA Coverage

It is also affirmed that car accidents kill a child every 3 minutes.

I found nothing on bus crashes on that site.

Happy reading.

(My responses are in bold)
    Out of all those websites, I found one with high numbers and no information on how they got those numbers.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I agree that seat belts can help when it comes to safety. I simply don't like them and I believe it should be my choice so I rarely use them. In fact not using my seat belt has actually saved me money because the officer chose to give me a 25 dollar seat belt ticket instead of the moving violation ticket that he could have given me.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville

poisonspyder

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Durango
    A law that affects a individual only, like a seatbelt or helmet law is not a law. It's communism. Maybe tell me my kid under 18 has to wear it but not a adult. We all know its for money only. They don't have seatbelt s on buses because the driver or school would be sued if a kid took it off. If they put on sensors to tell if its on they would never leave. It's also to much money to add seatbelt s to busses when gov officials could put that money in there pockets or buy a 10000 dollar hammer. I say let the idiots die and quit making laws to protect them. God has no way of getting rid of idiots anymore.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    There are a couple of problems with this. First, in the event of a collision, the only reason the .gov entities are responsible for clean-up is one of efficiency. Second, it is the collision that needs cleaned-up. And the collision is an occurrence than happens independent of the wearing of a seatbelt. So, there is still clean-up required even if all parties were wearing a seat belt.

So-if you are not restrained-went through the windshield or were knocked unconscious and you ran into another car and/or lost control and caused another person/s to have an accident-this would be a consequence of YOU not wearing restraints.

Third, there is no moral or legal obligation for the .gov entity to be responsible for medical treatment/first aid care in the event of a collision on the roadways. It has become a societal standard, but aside from that, can you offer a reason why it needs to be that way? Furthermore, can you offer a reason why the taxpayers needs to be responsible for footing the bill? Debtors used to be responsible for paying for their keep (which I found incredibly ironic). Why shouldn't citizens be responsible for their usage of emergency response services?

Maybe they should-but that is not up for change by any new laws I've heard of.

And on the issue that driving is a privilege, what makes it so?
    Not a right guaranteed by Constitution. If you don't obey laws required of licensed drivers-you lose the privilege.Drunks,reckless drivers,etc-they lose their license.

Top Bottom