• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The officer fired FOUR shots at the guy....TWO of them AFTER the guy has raised his empty hands...from what I have read he was hit one time in the hip. This young cop needs a new career, in my opinion. SC may want to take a look at their gun fight training. What a tragedy. I'm just glad the folks of SC aren't as stupid as the folks in Ferguson MO...I believe there have been no riots.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Hey, I think the officer exercised a lot of control in this situation. He only fired, what, 3 or 4 times? He could have dumped the whole mag, reloaded and kept firing...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The officer fired FOUR shots at the guy....TWO of them AFTER the guy has raised his empty hands...from what I have read he was hit one time in the hip. This young cop needs a new career, in my opinion. SC may want to take a look at their gun fight training. What a tragedy. I'm just glad the folks of SC aren't as stupid as the folks in Ferguson MO...I believe there have been no riots.

You think stories like this might have something to do with the difference in public reaction to these 2 events?
    Key report in Michael Brown shooting doesn't exist, Ferguson police say

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I'll take flak, but: I don't blame the cop.

Software was reacting to situation based on programming, nothing more. They program him, get him riled up with videos of cops being shot (which even when I view them, I bristle a bit), then arm him, train him to defeat threats to survive. "Survive your shift" has replaced "Let's be careful out there" is the feeling I get from quite a few police I've interacted with personally. The older cops I've spoken with have noticed the change.

As for European cops: a friend of mine from Britain says that their force continuum goes from hands>baton>MP5 :D He also says that he's never seen any BMWs, but their Vauxhalls can still keep up. :D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'll take flak, but: I don't blame the cop.

Software was reacting to situation based on programming, nothing more. They program him, get him riled up with videos of cops being shot (which even when I view them, I bristle a bit), then arm him, train him to defeat threats to survive. "Survive your shift" has replaced "Let's be careful out there" is the feeling I get from quite a few police I've interacted with personally. The older cops I've spoken with have noticed the change.

As for European cops: a friend of mine from Britain says that their force continuum goes from hands>baton>MP5 :D He also says that he's never seen any BMWs, but their Vauxhalls can still keep up. :D

From the time I lived in Germany I believe the Polizei had a similar continuum. They seemed to run through it pretty quickly. I believe that with intel they just skipped most of the middle steps and weren't necessarily too concerned if you happened to be standing close by. BMWs though...

Other than that...didn't see anything to pull out the 88mm AAA for...nothing good is happening for anyone in that video. Don't know the neighborhood either, there are places in DC, St Louis, Chicago, heck South Bend that I wouldn't trust anyone getting into or out of a car. If your someplace your Spidey senses are screaming danger at you; you try to survive and the timelines can get pretty short.

There was this time in Amsterdam....

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Bad situation, glad the young man is still alive, hope the officer is properly punished. Seems to me like the seatbelt violation may have been a pretext for other suspicions. Just can't quite figure out what this officer was thinking other than driving while black, he must be dangerous. The kid was doing what the officer instructed him to... get your license... get out of the car...

Not to blame the victim as this is all on the poor choice made by the officer but why was the driver out of the car?

10 and 2... never get out.

NEVER+GET+OUT+2.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The video I watched started a few minutes before the incident. Looked like the officer left one stop and was rolling through the parking lot when he saw the guy pull into the gas station. Lights didn't come on until the guy was parked and he was already getting out to go into the store part.

I have no idea what camera system they have, but the ones from the last 5 years or so have developed a DVR-type recording system. They are ALWAYS "recording" to a cache then (depending on the setting) write to the memory the 30 seconds/1 minute/whatever before the lights come on or the recording is manually engaged. My guess would be that the lights came on when the audio kicked in.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    88GT said it best. The cop was following SOP.

For those of you that say stay in the car, agree but with a modificaton.
    If you are a minority, especially black or brown male (like me)
    1) Stop the car
    2) Turn off the car
    3) Turn off the radio and/or anything else making noise
    4) Turn on the inside car lights
    5) Roll down all the windows (if possible)
    6) Stick your hands out of the car window with fingers spread
    7) Wait for the police

This will ensure you are not shoot for what occured here "driving while being black/brown" and some other violation.
    It may not be right but "driving while being black/brown" is a fact of life and not one that will ever be corrected.
    Unless we are all the same (ie. no difference in color, style, DNA, etc...)

Since this driver was out of the car he should have not moved at all.
    Officer tells you something you slowly raise your hands in the air and tell him what you plan on doing or where the infromation is at.
    Otherwise the JBT will come out and well you end up with this.
    Sadly this is nothing new.
    From my past experience its best to avoid police interaction at all cost.

@Rambone the country will never give up its seatbelt violation stuff. That is a nice $$$$ fund that keeps on giving.

As for the officer shooting after the guy had his hands up.
    Meh..
    You all say time and time again to shoot until the threat is no longer a threat.
    It takes the brain a few seconds to discover that the threat is no more before it can control the body again.
    The LEO was shooting as fast as he could based on his perception of the threat.
    Amazed that he only hit the guy once from such a close distance.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "You dove head first back into your car".

Yep, that cops word is gold in a court room without video. No matter how far his word is from reality.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I presume there wasn't a gun in the car. Even with the video, this might've played out altogether differently if there had been.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I presume there wasn't a gun in the car. Even with the video, this might've played out altogether differently if there had been.

And therein lies the problem with MMQBing the actions of both folks. That sort of thing is not known until after the fact.

I DO know that when dealing with any LEO the last thing I would do is unbidden start running around and or diving into a vehicle. When he was asked for his license he should have said, "officer, my license is in the vehicle" and waited for instructions to get it. Though if he's going in for a pack of smokes why isn't his license in his wallet on his person?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The one in the OP.
    :scratch: or are we looking at 2 different videos. He very quickly moved got into the car. Big :nono:.

If you guys call that diving into a car, I'm at a loss.

Of the 1 jury I sat on, the officer's testimony was a clear embellishment of what the video shows. I'm of the mind that if I'm every on a jury again and there's no video evidence to back up the officer's testimony, I will automatically dismiss it.

Even Destro of all people couldn't justify this shoot.

Top Bottom