• ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Please return your boots.
    Haha. I think "we" as USA LEO's could learn a few things from our brothers in Great Britain. I'm not saying copy them as we serve in VERY different societies but their officers get much more training than we do. Being a foot copper for the MET is typical. However, if you apply and get accepted to drive a patrol car, they give their officers as many hours in driving school as we receive to become a police officer. They do so well in vehicle pursuits because of this. On a tangent, to become a LEO in Germany, one must attend 3 years in the academy. It's treated like a degree. This was developed after WW2 by an American who wanted to ensure a professional police force. Something he tried and could not achieve in the US at the time. So much we could learn.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not really, that was beyond the pale.

All shootings are fact sensitive and make cookie cutter judgments worthless.

Here there is no cane or other action or thing that one can point to to say that the officer is in reasonable fear of serious bodily injury or death.
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I understand why the LEO shot. I don't agree with it, but I don't think he should be punished for following SOP. And it IS SOP to consider every movement and quick action by those who are stopped as threatening. We see it time and again in our discussions here. How unarmed people are gunned down because of a perceived "threatening movement." The boy with the toy AK. The guy on his front porch with a hose sprayer. The homeless man in Seattle with a knife. The dude in Arizona (I think) state lands "trespassing." As long as LE is consistently given that freedom to excuse most shootings as "self defense" and as long as they are not trained to engage their brains a little more, this is exactly what we can expect. This is exactly the LE response we have justified.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I understand why the LEO shot. I don't agree with it, but I don't think he should be punished for following SOP. And it IS SOP to consider every movement and quick action by those who are stopped as threatening. We see it time and again in our discussions here. How unarmed people are gunned down because of a perceived "threatening movement." The boy with the toy AK. The guy on his front porch with a hose sprayer. The homeless man in Seattle with a knife. The dude in Arizona (I think) state lands "trespassing." As long as LE is consistently given that freedom to excuse most shootings as "self defense" and as long as they are not trained to engage their brains a little more, this is exactly what we can expect. This is exactly the LE response we have justified.

The cop was a bad cop. His training was not working. Hell he even shot at the guy AFTER he had his hands up and was empty handed. Bad cop, bad training, bad all around. Go to jail now.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The cop was a bad cop. His training was not working. Hell he even shot at the guy AFTER he had his hands up and was empty handed. Bad cop, bad training, bad all around. Go to jail now.
    Perhaps he was a bad cop. But I think this is indicative of the state of LE in this country. I don't think such choices are limited to "bad" cops.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    tried to watch that one with an open mind, that there was probably more to the story than the media was sensationalizing...but WOW! Now, the guy did reach into his car fast, and based on the circumstances the cop probably hit the lights on the street and the guy kept going into the gas station...still, tough one to defend

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    He was in the wrong and, so far, it looks to me like justice is being served.

While I would love to see fewer trigger-happy cops and fewer silly laws that place their guns in our faces, proper accountability like this is refreshing and should help to break the pattern if we see more of it.

Does anyone know if SC "assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature" equals attempted murder? If not, the charge is only in the vicinity of justice.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Haha. I think "we" as USA LEO's could learn a few things from our brothers in Great Britain. I'm not saying copy them as we serve in VERY different societies but their officers get much more training than we do. Being a foot copper for the MET is typical. However, if you apply and get accepted to drive a patrol car, they give their officers as many hours in driving school as we receive to become a police officer. They do so well in vehicle pursuits because of this. On a tangent, to become a LEO in Germany, one must attend 3 years in the academy. It's treated like a degree. This was developed after WW2 by an American who wanted to ensure a professional police force. Something he tried and could not achieve in the US at the time. So much we could learn.

With the money saved on settlements and judgments, such a program would likely pay for itself in many larger cities.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can understand why the cop went Rambo on the guy. He made the mistake of a fast move. Still, cop should have understood man may have been obeying orders and given the guy chance to reveal intentions. Puts the cop at risk, but he signed up for the job. Tak the job, take the risk. No justification for attempted murder charge. Motive in the shooting is evident to me, as is the poor judgement of the cop. Bad shoot. Guy loses job and all rights to carry a firearm in future. Liability covered by police insurance so the victim is fully reimbursed, including some punative damages for poor training. JMHO.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Thugs come in all colors, a variety of costumes, and both sexes.

This situation serves good example of why ANY encounter with a leo is a potentially deadly encounter.

I've seen nothing more than the video posted here.

What struck me in the video, aside from the shooting of an unarmed man by a leo, is that after the shooting the leo did little to nothing to aid the citizen whom he shot other than call dispatch for an ambulance. He seemed more focused on getting the guy's license.

I have ZERO confidence in such folks to protect or serve.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Where's Destro when you need him?

Ha, I was thinking about that earlier in another thread. Fear not though I think Dead Duck has taken over the mantle of justifying even the most egregious government action. I'll give it a try, if that kid just wouldn't have been at that place at that time he wouldn't have gotten shot, not the cops fault.

Top Bottom