Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Here is a post from reddit

a post from Red___dit/volunteersForUkraine:

Yes, I was here today and blown off the top bunk of my bunk bed in the barracks by the first missile. I made a long post about it but my posts don't show on this thread for some reason. This is where all the foreign legion troops are, the 35 killed were all Ukrainian mostly due to a direct hit on their barracks next to mine. The base is destroyed, the weapons depot destroyed, possibly the end of the legion. About 60 people with their heads on straight including myself left after the attack. They're sending untrained guys to the front with little ammo and **** AKs and they're getting killed. The guys who stayed got bombed again in the afternoon and casualties aren't clear. If you still want to to join them I'm not sure what the process will be since literally all the infrastructure supporting the training/assignments of volunteers is all destroyed. The guys who are there now will all be going to Kviv and many will die, the legion is totally outgunned and has a few crazy Ukrainian leaders. After the attack one officer wanted to march everyone to Kviv and fight. Absolute insanity. Stay home.

I joined as a medic, and planned to create casualty evacuation routes and help setup field hospitals for the volunteers and also serve on the front with them. I was assigned to a platoon yesterday as a medic. Nobody I have met were really running headfirst into it, except maybe guys with no experience. The legion was actually amazingly well-put together in some ways, uniforms were great, armor provided, good food. This made a lot of experienced people expect a legitimate military operation out of the unit, but it's not like that at all. The actual frontlines operational side is just sloppy and dangerous. And that guy shooting an AK at a tank was one guy, just an example of some stupidity on the front. The legion does have RPGs and stingers.

Everyone knew this would be the war. However, the legion promises a lot of **** they don't stay true to. And it increases risk sevenfold, which just isn't worth it for alot of people.

That was what a lot of people were saying, that they were pushing the legion up to Kviv as cannon fodder. And how can you argue that when guys are given no training, and AK with no butt stock, and one magazine? When guys were asking for more ammo a Ukrainian officer said "take it off dead russians"

How would you like me to prove it? I can tell you anything. Yes you have to sign a contract but yes it's complete ********, if you want to leave an hour later you're welcomed to. They assign positions like rifleman, medic, machine gunner but if you have never touched a rifle they might make you logistics or a driver. Bro I had ****ing thirteen cruise missiles drop on me this morning I am not ****ing around. I saw them pulling bodies from the wreckage, I was blown on my ass, I can tell you that the air raid siren did not go off meaning the legion has little to no radar support and absolutely no AA capability. We were at the mercy of Russian warplanes.

Left the legion. Some are staying to help refugees - some going home. But it is clear that going to Kviv with the legion is nearly a ****ing death sentence. A medic died the day after he got to the front, another guy tried shooting an AK at an APC and was killed immediately, a 10 man team was nearly wiped out - 8 killed and 2 crawled away. Your body will not be retrieved from the frontlines either.

So let’s see here. To paraphrase: Volunteer without knowing what the heck your getting into. Get treated like cattle, paid almost nothing, given crap weapons and half crazy leaders/cohorts. Then thrown into battle not really knowing what’s going on.

This could be anybody enlisting in any military at war time in history. I am sure many vets on here had the same experience.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've seen videos from WWII where the polish army rolled out with horses against the Nazis in tanks. They had a lot of heart for the fight!
    The final charge at the end of the book/movie The Two Towers was a reference to the charge of the Polish Winged Hussars that broke the siege of Vienna on September 11, 1683 in defeat of the Ottoman Caliphate. That defeat was the last real gasp of the Caliphate as a power in Europe, and probably why bin Laden picked that day.

Memorialized in an awesome song, too:

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    The final charge at the end of the book/movie The Two Towers was a reference to the charge of the Polish Winged Hussars that broke the siege of Vienna on September 11, 1683 in defeat of the Ottoman Caliphate. That defeat was the last real gasp of the Caliphate as a power in Europe, and probably why bin Laden picked that day.

In a large part, Europe can thank Jan Sobieski and the Hussars for not having to pray to Mecca daily.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Current map according to the UK MOD
    FNzh6WOWQAA2TYP

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Do people here really not remember in 2014 when they made it illegal for awhile to even speak Russian right after the maiden revolution(before Donetsk declared independence,before Russia took Crimea)?

The language thing never stopped either. https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/01/19/new-language-requirement-raises-concerns-ukraine
    I continue to wonder why what you post sometimes seems so one-sidedly pro-Russian

The suppression of language is not a new thing, the Ukrainians have been the victims of it many times - and not just historically, you will note Ukrainian was suppressed under Yanukovich in 2012 as well as in Crimea and the LPR and DPR in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea

It is surely one technique in forced assimilation or ethnic cleansing, but the Ukrainians are hardly its worst practitioners

Reactions: oze

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So let’s see here. To paraphrase: Volunteer without knowing what the heck your getting into. Get treated like cattle, paid almost nothing, given crap weapons and half crazy leaders/cohorts. Then thrown into battle not really knowing what’s going on.

This could be anybody enlisting in any military at war time in history. I am sure many vets on here had the same experience.

Sounds like the Lincoln brigade during the Spanish Civil war.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I don't have the insight many of you here have about this whole situation. So I'm going to ask a question that probably seems dumb to many of you, but something I've been pondering during this whole invasion.
    It has been said that one reason Putin invaded was he doesn't want a NATO country on his border. I get Ukraine was wanting to join NATO. If, Russia and Putin takes over Ukraine wouldn't he be putting a NATO country on the border since Poland is on the border?

Trying to cut through all the BS is incredibly difficult and hard to know who to believe in all this mess.

Edit- does anyone else think that Russia bombing hospitals and such maybe a tactic in an attempt to draw us into the war?
    It's more about a having distance from Moscow, not really away from the border of Russia. It use to be the Warsaw Pact that created the buffer.

Edit: scooped by a video. Guess I shouldn't answer as I catch up.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The narrative that Ukraine will resist is falling apart, without nato intervention it’s not a matter of “if” but of when.

The foreign legion base was most likely hit for a propaganda purpose. Send the foreigners home scared before they even got a chance to fire a weapon. Let them share the stories of how scared they were and see the resolve of other aspirating COD bros/Reddit larpers fade away. It’s one thing to be told that you will be bombarded it’s another thing entirely to hear the sirens and the actual explosions.

I don’t know what they were expecting, war is chaotic in best circumstance with the best logistics and training. Crap AK’s, little ammo, not enough gear is to be expected. Heck the Brit’s got sent into WW2 with gear that was in storage from WW1.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah, one would have to be naive not to expect that the best gear, ammunition allocation and weaponry are gonna be dedicated to the regular army.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I continue to wonder why what you post sometimes seems so one-sidedly pro-Russian

The suppression of language is not a new thing, the Ukrainians have been the victims of it many times - and not just historically, you will note Ukrainian was suppressed under Yanukovich in 2012 as well as in Crimea and the LPR and DPR in 2014 after the annexation of Crimea

It is surely one technique in forced assimilation or ethnic cleansing, but the Ukrainians are hardly its worst practitioners

How is what I posted pro Russian? Does that mean the UN is pro Russian? https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/sc13884.doc.htm

Posting the reality is neither pro or against one side or the other. It is simply reality. That you choose to see it as pro one side or the other means you picked a side. I never will. I am in the George Washington school of thought group. https://historynewsnetwork.org/blog/3572

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne

I didn't know about the Two Towers tie-in. Thanks!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Only one problem with that. There are almost zero Russian troops there. Most are Donetsk natives(the Russian troops are around Mariupol) and I can not see people of any country setting a chemical fire on purpose in their own back yard. I can however see Azov(who is primarily engaged in the area) setting the fire. They have after all said all Russian speaking people in Donetsk need killed more than once. Do people here really not remember in 2014 when they made it illegal for awhile to even speak Russian right after the maiden revolution(before Donetsk declared independence,before Russia took Crimea)?

The language thing never stopped either. https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/01/19/new-language-requirement-raises-concerns-ukraine

Now consider where Azov is located. They are being attacked from the west by the army of Ukraine,and from the north and south by Russia. https://tapnewswire.com/2022/03/ukr...hq-of-azov-nationalist-battalion-in-mariupol/
    So who would you think set the fire? "Russian's,Ukrainian's,or Azov? Who gains? Only Azov(thinks they gain by killing people who speak Russian).
    I'm admittedly not as well versed in this whole Azov dynamic but what I am gathering from your posts is that they are at the root cause of a lot problems taking place in the Russia/Ukraine conflict.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I don't get it. Why don't all those European volunteers who want to help Ukraine just bring their own weapons and ammo that they've trained with and are familiar with?
    Because Europe doesn't let you have those things.

I'd sure as hell max out a credit card on a good optic, mount, gear, armor, boots, etc though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom