RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    After a near death (at least I thought it might be) experience with flip flops I swore off of them. Sandals like CM is talking is not what I call flip flops. Flip flops, and possibly a little clumsiness on my part have sent me to the ground two times and I was sure both times something must be broken. Thanks to the Lord I survived both incidents with only soreness and injured pride but after the last time I decided flip flops are definitely NOT for me.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, now the temperature thing has me confused.
    Wearing sandals because of the heat and sunlight.
    Yet, the long flowing robes are worn, because of the heat and sunlight.
    Kinda seems opposite.

And I understand the robes thing. It seems counterproductive, wearing MORE clothes. But it's not.

At the mill, I can't imagine wearing sandals to make the feet cooler.
    I wear multiple layers to keep the heat off me.
    And it can't be because of less heat.
    Outside of a ladle is between 300 and 800 degrees.
    When they are servicing a ladle, they lay it on the side.
    Walk in front, and you're putting your arm up, or tilting your head to let the hard hat take the heat.
    When they have pallets they don't want to deal with, just put them in front of the ladle. A short time, it will be smoking. A bit longer, no more pallet.

Of course, when it comes to the robes, the robe protects you from the sun, but allows some circulation.
    Shoes don't do that.

:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kinda seems opposite.

And I understand the robes thing. It seems counterproductive, wearing MORE clothes. But it's not.

Walk in front, and you're putting your arm up, or tilting your head to let the hard hat take the heat.
    When they have pallets they don't want to deal with, just put them in front of the ladle. A short time, it will be smoking. A bit longer, no more pallet.

Of course, when it comes to the robes, the robe protects you from the sun, but allows some circulation.
    Shoes don't do that.

Seriously wild man I would never ever where light foot gear in your conditions.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Kinda seems opposite.

Shoes don't do that.

The man dress is thin (sometimes too thin if the wind is blowing and the fellow is traditional enough to not wear undies) and it allows air to move. Actually forces air to move as you move since it moves with inertia. Think of flapping the front of your shirt. Sandals do the same. Air flows over your feet as you walk, the bottoms of your feet are briefly exposed, etc.

Regardless of the exact mechanism of how it works, it works. I, being a complete moron, took heavy leather Redwing boots with me. Even in December they were not really comfortable in the day time. I quickly bought desert boots for work and sandals for not-work.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Gems from today, speaking about a very small 22 revolver chambered for shorts "it doesn't look like it's got a heavy hammer but it's got a heavy hammer". Same guy told his buddy that he had "stuff" to reload for the 22 short revolver but could not find components. Guy waving a Glock 19 around pointing at his buddy, slide closed:xmad:. I have no patience in that situation and told him to get it back to the firing line. He assured me, "it's not loaded". My reply of, they are always loaded of course got no response. The stupid that people exhibit after all the "unloaded" guns that have injured and killed still amazes me.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Gems from today, speaking about a very small 22 revolver chambered for shorts "it doesn't look like it's got a heavy hammer but it's got a heavy hammer". Same guy told his buddy that he had "stuff" to reload for the 22 short revolver but could not find components. Guy waving a Glock 19 around pointing at his buddy, slide closed:xmad:. I have no patience in that situation and told him to get it back to the firing line. He assured me, "it's not loaded". My reply of, they are always loaded of course got on response. The stupid that people exhibit after all the "unloaded" guns that have injured and killed still amazes me.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    Wow! Where to begin. .22 Short reloading? The components are found in boxes marked ".22 Short". Keep the weapons pointed to the far end of the range whether they are laying there with the slide/cylinder open or if they are in your hands.

Growing up on the farm I have no idea how many guns were in the house. Six were loaded (ranging from a Marlin .22 LR tube-fed semi-auto to a Model 70 Winchester in .300 Win Mag. One handgun, two shotguns, and a bolt-action .243 with a 3X9 Leopold Duplex scope. Hey, you might need to shoot something, it's the country!) Safe firearms handling was taught from the day I got a BB gun. I don't know any other way.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    Sometimes you see a glimmer of hope. I had a couple of people come to the range counter to sign for a membership and basic handgun class. They were pretty excited and wanted to return to shoot before their class, I helped them find some good Jeff Cooper vids on the wife's phone. They came back the next day after studying the videos closely. They had good questions and went out to the range. I didn't get the usual "who the hell sent these people out here?!?" call back on the radio. End of nice story.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sometimes you see a glimmer of hope. I had a couple of people come to the range counter to sign for a membership and basic handgun class. They were pretty excited and wanted to return to shoot before their class, I helped them find some good Jeff Cooper vids on the wife's phone. They came back the next day after studying the videos closely. They had good questions and went out to the range. I didn't get the usual "who the hell sent these people out here?!?" call back on the radio. End of nice story.

Great to hear.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Bump ... for my continuing education. This thread is almost as good as formal training, of which I am in need, and plan to seek out. So, in that regard, this thread might be considered very successful. Also entertaining. Sincere thanks to all of you who try to educate others.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    This video always makes me think this thread.

[video=youtube_share;aFxo4uCFWhY]https://youtu.be/aFxo4uCFWhY[/video]

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

Thanks for the inspiration. There are some noobs that are careful, cautious and safe. I feel guilty posting in this thread because I don't want ALL new shooters to be cast in a bad light. I feel it is more for the "seasoned" range folks to have a little chuckle or face-palm moment. That being said...

Last week a car-load of folks show up at the range. They pile out of the car. Mom, Dad, and three kids. Two boys and a girl ages 8-12. Everyone had a rifle in-hand except mom, I think she was packin' a pistol. No bags or cases. Actions not open.

They said they wanted to do some shooting. They were informed they would have to join the range to do so. They were given a membership application, given the price and told they would have to review a safety presentation (15 minutes) before shooting.

They said they would come back later. Never saw them again.

My point: I have seen a lot of young folks that seem to think the price of admission to a gun range is just to own a gun. If you own a gun you can show up and shoot, just like Uncle Cletus' back yard! I would think that the "Members Only" sign would be a clue but I am guessing that nobody reads them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Overheard today after completely missing the target "I never miss, I don't know what happened".. Found a live 45 GAP round on the floor and asked a customer if he had a gun that shot 45 GAP? He said no but then pulled a box of ammo out from under the table that was 45 GAP.. He had no idea that there was any difference and just didn't get it when I tried to explain the difference. He had obviously been using it in a45 ACP pistol. For the fourth time in recent memory I was asked if the lines on the floor were feet or yards. What can I say, it's not getting any better.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO…Glock/ M&P Certified armorer[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Two guys shooting an HK 91 clone @ 10 yards.. After both shooting a few shots they decided it was shooting low and needed a sight adjustment. Seems like they figured their "battle" rifle would likely be used at 10 yards or less.
    Couple shooting at 7 yards all over the paper so solution was to move the target to 15 yards so they couldn't see how much they were missing.

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    TCouple shooting at 7 yards all over the paper so solution was to move the target to 15 yards so they couldn't see how much they were missing.[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

That is an amazing bit of logic there. Next time I run dot torture I will do it at the 25 yard line. As an added bonus it saves targets too!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    That is an amazing bit of logic there. Next time I run dot torture I will do it at the 25 yard line. As an added bonus it saves targets too!
    Evolution of theory:
    e3f7e2625ffb774d46ece2a95ab2d7bc.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok. I don't know how I missed this gem all of this time. I've spent the last couple of days reading it all. I'm now subscribed.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Again today "are the lines feet or yards? Also saw a guy with a loaded Glock shoved down the front of his pants, no holster of course. I don't know of he was trying to look macho or contemplating self castration. Watched a lady put 100 rounds down range at 10 yards and study the target (23X35) when it returned because it only had 9 holes in it.
    Sighting in an AR with a scope and bipod at 6 yards, 30-40 rounds before spending at least another mag at 10 yards??

4G8fcHK.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom