RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Again today "are the lines feet or yards? Also saw a guy with a loaded Glock shoved down the front of his pants, no holster of course. I don't know of he was trying to look macho or contemplating self castration. Watched a lady put 100 rounds down range at 10 yards and study the target (23X35) when it returned because it only had 9 holes in it.
    Sighting in an AR with a scope and bipod at 6 yards, 30-40 rounds before spending at least another mag at 10 yards??

4G8fcHK.jpg

Friends don't let friends do any of these things.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Watched a lady put 100 rounds down range at 10 yards and study the target (23X35) when it returned because it only had 9 holes in it.

I wish I could shoot that well. 100 rounds through 9 holes!

It's folks like this that make me wonder if I should be wearing a plate carrier at the range.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We had a guy with a scoped 30-06 shooting at 5 yards, I probably lost my temper with him a little, but I made it clear to him and everybody else in the range that what he was doing was idiotic and he could either move his target all the way down range or leave. He left. I don’t get the thought process of people like that, and I don’t want to.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We had a guy with a scoped 30-06 shooting at 5 yards, I probably lost my temper with him a little, but I made it clear to him and everybody else in the range that what he was doing was idiotic and he could either move his target all the way down range or leave. He left. I don’t get the thought process of people like that, and I don’t want to.

Did he give or even attempt to clarify his reasoning.....:dunno:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I realize that doing that was absurd, but is it against the rules or a safety violation?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I realize that doing that was absurd, but is it against the rules or a safety violation?

In general, shooting with the target 5 yards from the firing line and a long distance from the backstop is not the best in risk management. It's very, very easy to send shots directly over the backstop or to skip them off of the ground over the backstop. Target close to the backstop minimizes the risk of sending projectiles out of the range.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes and yes, because most operators who do this always insist on sitting or kneeling to steady whatever they are "sighting in" and eventually decide to try a few headshots, or pick the highest point on their target to aim at, and then they're shooting into the ceiling baffles. They not only can do damage to the range, but bullet fragments can be slung all over the firing line. We had an operator do $800 damage to a target carrier shooting his new (scoped) AR with echo trigger at 20 feet because he had no idea where his rounds were hitting, people 4 lanes down from him were getting pelted with fragments before our RSO could get to him! He's still making monthly payments on that one.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    It's crossed my mind many times to ask "what are you trying to accomplish"? I'm not allowed to ask that and I've been warned about making the comment "when you do stupid things I'm going to call you stupid".
    I have to speculate to answer your question CM but it's either that they miss the paper when they go past 10 yards or they are there just to make noise. I had a guy with two small boys not long ago teaching them to shoot. Put the target at 5 yards and then have the child rest the butt of the pistol on the bench and shoot at the head and at 20 yards bullets are hitting the ceiling. I brought that to his attention and his comment was "he's hitting the head".:ugh:

If they are shooting at the middle of the target there's not a problem but as littletommy said, when they start shooting the top or bottom of the target you have bullets skipping off the floor or bouncing off the ceiling. As to your "can't fix stupid" comment CM, see below.

ir1Jugt.jpg

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    they are there just to make noise.

I was at an outdoor range recently where a guy was shooting an AK pistol. I had to double up on hearing pro due to the noise. Everyone else at the range was just staring at him as he dumped mag after mag down the range at an empty target stand. I guess he was just getting a kick out of the sound and fireball.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I was at an outdoor range recently where a guy was shooting an AK pistol. I had to double up on hearing pro due to the noise. Everyone else at the range was just staring at him as he dumped mag after mag down the range at an empty target stand. I guess he was just getting a kick out of the sound and fireball.
    Exactly. A huge percentage of the people with AR and AK pistols live for the noise and fireball. ALSO let's not forget that they are very interested in impressing others and they think the more noise and fireball the bigger impression.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright [/FONT]

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    In general, shooting with the target 5 yards from the firing line and a long distance from the backstop is not the best in risk management. It's very, very easy to send shots directly over the backstop or to skip them off of the ground over the backstop. Target close to the backstop minimizes the risk of sending projectiles out of the range.

Yes and yes, because most operators who do this always insist on sitting or kneeling to steady whatever they are "sighting in" and eventually decide to try a few headshots, or pick the highest point on their target to aim at, and then they're shooting into the ceiling baffles. They not only can do damage to the range, but bullet fragments can be slung all over the firing line. We had an operator do $800 damage to a target carrier shooting his new (scoped) AR with echo trigger at 20 feet because he had no idea where his rounds were hitting, people 4 lanes down from him were getting pelted with fragments before our RSO could get to him! He's still making monthly payments on that one.

OK, now it makes sense. I guess I have always tried to pay attention to where my rounds land after cutting thru the paper.

Thanks for the lesson

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Last time I was there, I was shooting an AR pistol @ 5-7 yards. Why? A) because I can't really see the target when it's all the way out, and B) I hadn't ever shot this gun before and I had no idea it would function at all. And C) I was sighting in a newly mounted RDS to a gun that hadn't ever been fired before.

if I'd have had the target much further out, there was the very very real possibility that I'd have not known where any of the bullets were going and I'd not have been able to adjust the RDS.

So for me, I had my target close because it was a shake down cruise. I moved the target farther out the more I got the RDS kinda sorta dialed in.

That particular AR is a heavy beast. :-(

Oh - and the front sight on my Shield practically walked itself off the right side of my slide. It didn't fly off, but it came off with slight finger pressure.

Shooting without a front sight isn't nearly as easy as I'd have presumed it was. And by that time my time was running out and my target was full of holes so I couldn't really tell how well I was doing without a front sight.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Last time I was there, I was shooting an AR pistol @ 5-7 yards. Why? A) because I can't really see the target when it's all the way out, and B) I hadn't ever shot this gun before and I had no idea it would function at all. And C) I was sighting in a newly mounted RDS to a gun that hadn't ever been fired before.

if I'd have had the target much further out, there was the very very real possibility that I'd have not known where any of the bullets were going and I'd not have been able to adjust the RDS.

So for me, I had my target close because it was a shake down cruise. I moved the target farther out the more I got the RDS kinda sorta dialed in.

That particular AR is a heavy beast. :-(

Oh - and the front sight on my Shield practically walked itself off the right side of my slide. It didn't fly off, but it came off with slight finger pressure.

Shooting without a front sight isn't nearly as easy as I'd have presumed it was. And by that time my time was running out and my target was full of holes so I couldn't really tell how well I was doing without a front sight.

Interesting. Try shooting with no sights.....front or rear. It is doable. I have witnesses. Reliable (:):) ones actually.

This is why I invested in a laser bore tool. It is not the end all by any stretch but it will put you in the zone to get started. No way I would ever show to the range with out doing the laser process 1st. Just me but an errant round is not something I would care to send down range. :)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Interesting. Try shooting with no sights.....front or rear. It is doable. I have witnesses. Reliable (:):) ones actually.

This is why I invested in a laser bore tool. It is not the end all by any stretch but it will put you in the zone to get started. No way I would ever show to the range with out doing the laser process 1st. Just me but an errant round is not something I would care to send down range. :)

This. And they are dirt cheap on amazon.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    to bore sight an AR all you have to do is put the upper in a vice or on sandbags. pull the bolt, look down the bore and center a distant object. then adjust your scope onto that object. I just did this w/ a new upper a couple weeks ago. this bore sighting method got my rounds just 4" off @ 100 yds. no laser widgets required, and I didn't spend much time on it.

-rvb

Top Bottom