Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flash-hider

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2012
    I would submit that your property tax is calculated on your running assessed value. That value is recalculated each year. I always looked at it as a pie in the sky arbitrary value that your property would bring on Tax Day December 31st of each year. That's how it is in Michigan anyway.
    I would be more than happy if my properties that I bought over the past 50 years was taxed what I paid for them $1000 - $1650 per acre. This past assessment change notice I received for this next year the true cash value will be over $8000.00 of which the taxes are based on 50% of that $8000.
    I my opinion property should be taxed on the value of that house or land at the time of purchase and then recalculated when that property changes hands.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But this is always the inevitable end with property taxes. Continue to produce for the state or have your property handed over to "an investor".

Flat tax time.

I don’t think taxes should be owed on a percentage of income, or the value for what you own. It should be based more on how much government one consumes.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The amount of your tax is based on the value, up or down. But it is not a tax on that value. It is a tax for services provided that benefit the property or the owners of property.
    Then why is it based on the value of one’s property? That has nothing to do with the cost of government. Just send every taxpayer a bill for their share.

If people got a bill for the government they consumed, apathy for runaway government spending would suddenly drop.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Semantics. Value goes up, price goes up. Tax on unrealized gains which prevents actual ownership.
    No it is not semantics. Words have meaning. There are taxes on the gains called capital gains taxes that are paid when the property is sold and the gains or losses are realized. The property taxes are for services provided that benefit the property or the owners of property. The amount of those taxes are based on the current value of the property. They also go down if property value decreases. That is not the same thing as taxing gains for capital gains taxes.

Can we at least express our dislike for property taxes with the proper words. We make fun of antigunners for their lack of use of proper words about guns. There are many ways to express our dislike of how property taxes are assessed and collected but they have absolutely nothing to do with capital gains.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Then why is it based on the value of one’s property? That has nothing to do with the cost of government. Just send every taxpayer a bill for their share.

If people got a bill for the government they consumed, apathy for runaway government spending would suddenly drop.
    I agree, there are certainly other ways to collect for the government property owners consume. We actually have a progressive system as owners of more expensive property pay more, I suspect that system evolved from the fact that more expensive property once used more services. The biggest disconnect is people have no idea what services they receive and as evidenced in this thread many deny they receive services at all.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I have no problem paying taxes for schools. Not just because three of my family members work for schools, but because we need to work on educating society as a whole.

If there was to be a use tax on schools then maybe we wouldn't have so many baby factories out there getting the handouts because of the kids. Maybe there would be a change in that. Probably not since the gov loves handing out other people's money.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Indiana is now saying we don't have enough for the roads.... we tax tax, tax tax. But we need more more more.
    The state is certainly doing a crap job of maintaining the roads in my area. They did a chip seal coating on a major high way, which is fine if done right, but they didn't fix any potholes or major bumps. They literally just skim coated over them so the road is still horrible, but at least it is darker in color now. And the state hasn't mowed anything yet this year, so the weeds are horrible. In many places it is dangerous to pull out on a highway because the weeds are blocking your view of traffic. Our county roads aren't bad at all, but the state highways are getting bad.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    The state is certainly doing a crap job of maintaining the roads in my area. They did a chip seal coating on a major high way, which is fine if done right, but they didn't fix any potholes or major bumps. They literally just skim coated over them so the road is still horrible, but at least it is darker in color now. And the state hasn't mowed anything yet this year, so the weeds are horrible. In many places it is dangerous to pull out on a highway because the weeds are blocking your view of traffic. Our county roads aren't bad at all, but the state highways are getting bad.
    Yep
    Same here in Jefferson County. I haven't seen actual repaving in years. Always chip and seal. Haven't seen a mowing crew either. They usually do it twice. But the main drag in madison that the state maintains got medians put in and sidewalks by dot. Sidewalks... don't remember my gas taxes paying for people to walk

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Indiana is now saying we don't have enough for the roads.... we tax tax, tax tax. But we need more more more.
    One of my biggest regrets in life is not going to law school and becoming a politician. Just wallow in greed and power all day, pissing away other people's money on frivolous ********, stealing people's property along the way. No accountability, no responsibility, man what a life.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John

How would you determine the individual costs? What is my share to pay for the officer, car, gas, etc. driving through my neighborhood a few times a day? Do I pay more if they spend more time investigating an incident on a certain day? What about those state roads that I will never drive on? Would there be a different charge for the time one spent on government business in a government building? What is my share of the cost of public education? I have no children but do benefit in some way through the work of those former students.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How would you determine the individual costs? What is my share to pay for the officer, car, gas, etc. driving through my neighborhood a few times a day? Do I pay more if they spend more time investigating an incident on a certain day? What about those state roads that I will never drive on? Would there be a different charge for the time one spent on government business in a government building? What is my share of the cost of public education? I have no children but do benefit in some way through the work of those former students.
    Don’t ask serious questions, they have a way of piercing the right version of utopia… :lmfao:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How are any of those consumed more just by having more valuable property?

I do not believe that State roads are paid for with property tax.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I might be wrong but if property tax is based on the amount of services I use, hypothetical, say I use $100 of services, and my property if valued at $10,000 (again, hypothetical tax rate of 1%) this year. Next year it is revalued at $20,000 but me being single living alone still only use $100 of services, why should my tax be raised to $200? My use rate didn't increase, only the basis of taxation.

That I why something needs to be done with taxing the American dream of owning property. In the years of living in my house, my use of county resources (schools, police, etc.) has not increased, yet my property taxes have doubled to the point that my first two months plus of living income goes to pay just for the "privilege" of living where I want.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    How are any of those consumed more just by having more valuable property?

I do not believe that State roads are paid for with property tax.
    I replied to a statement that tax should be based on each person's share of the cost of government. My examples were to indicate the difficulty in determining individual costs based on the cost of services provided to that person.

I took Jamil's premise as referring to all types of taxes.

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I might be wrong but if property tax is based on the amount of services I use, hypothetical, say I use $100 of services, and my property if valued at $10,000 (again, hypothetical tax rate of 1%) this year. Next year it is revalued at $20,000 but me being single living alone still only use $100 of services, why should my tax be raised to $200? My use rate didn't increase, only the basis of taxation.

That I why something needs to be done with taxing the American dream of owning property. In the years of living in my house, my use of county resources (schools, police, etc.) has not increased, yet my property taxes have doubled to the point that my first two months plus of living income goes to pay just for the "privilege" of living where I want.
    The costs of those services have increased over the years. I assume that you are not being paid the same amount of money that you were ten years ago. I doubt if any government workers are getting the same pay, they got only 5 years ago. Costs of materials have gone up.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    My neighbor just had there house evaluated for value to sell, very large nice home, 115,000 what the real estate agent said, but tax roll shows it being taxed at 195,000 tax value, so who is ripping off who????

Top Bottom