Property tax needs to be repealed / abolished NOW! (Morgan Co info here)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I did not go to their site or FB or whatever but reading the statement they had in the article it sounds like someone has too much time on their hands.

I do not like the property tax system, but getting rid of it with nothing to replace the lost funds would be completely absurd.

That being said I went yesterday to the assessor's office to sign off on reductions for two of my places. It was painless. I actually had a nice conversation with the lady that helped me.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    How do we abolish it?
    We need to gather 500 warriors from each county and start attending each county counsel meeting. Block the doorways and roadways. **** down county government.
    Then those same 500 warriors from each county go downtown to the state house and start blocking the entrances where our state representative enter and exit. Bring your vehicles down there and block the streets. Shut down 465 during rush hour. Stop all commerce in Indiana until they get ride of property tax.
    We are not going to vote our way out of this.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    How do we abolish it?
    We need to gather 500 warriors from each county and start attending each county counsel meeting. Block the doorways and roadways. **** down county government.
    Then those same 500 warriors from each county go downtown to the state house and start blocking the entrances where our state representative enter and exit. Bring your vehicles down there and block the streets. Shut down 465 during rush hour. Stop all commerce in Indiana until they get ride of property tax.
    I like some of your suggestions. Making life a pain in the ass for those who are not choosing to involve themselves at that time by blocking traffic is, and should be a criminal offense regardless of what is being protested. Block the legislators in their parking spots, make them hesitant to face those they are supposed to be representing the people but keep the protests directed at the deserving. Sticking people in an unnecessary traffic jam is a sure fire bet to get them against you regardless of the cause.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How do we abolish it?
    So basically, be Stop Oil, but for for property taxes.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Once again I am curious why certain groups are exempt, or at least lower than others.

Seems like a great game to play.

Why is it never the same across the board?

One person betters themselves so they can pay for the ones that didn't. Makes me want to do better in life.

Having kids makes your property taxes go down? Typically more kids means a bigger house. That doesn't compute.

My dad gets discounts for being old. That's great for him. He also makes more in retirement than he can spend (because he is frugal). Just because you reach a certain age shouldn't mean that you are classed as poor and in need of charity from the state.

Sorry, I know this is going to start a heated debate and I am the bad guy. I appreciate that someone is trying something, I just hate that it always seems so slanted.

... and no, I do not have a better plan.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Property tax should be abolished. Everyone should just get a bill for taxes they owe based on consumption. But also, a lot of people don't make enough to pay for the government they consume. It would consume all their income and wealth. Paying for government shouldn't completely ruin poor people.

So a compromise is needed. If you can show a financial inability to pay for the government you consume (police, fire, payroll, drainage, because Mike loves drainage, etcetera) you file for exemptions. It's not based on the value of your property, which bears little relevance to the government you consume.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Property tax should be abolished. Everyone should just get a bill for taxes they owe based on consumption. But also, a lot of people don't make enough to pay for the government they consume. It would consume all their income and wealth. Paying for government shouldn't completely ruin poor people.

So a compromise is needed. If you can show a financial inability to pay for the government you consume (police, fire, payroll, drainage, because Mike loves drainage, etcetera) you file for exemptions. It's not based on the value of your property, which bears little relevance to the government you consume.
    Government is too big at most levels.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of course this is outside of the topic. At a national level, if we divided the annual budget by the number of taxpayers, we'd each owe ~$37,500. Only 45% of American taxpayers earn more than that. Our federal government is clearly too big for average Americans. The annual budget is > $6 trillion. The IRS collects ~ $5.5 trillion.

I think instead of a debt limit, we should set a cap of what government can spend to a reasonable percentage of the average income per tax payer. Say, 1/10th. Average income per taxpayer is ~$70K/year. So that's an average burden for American's to be $7.5K/year. Of course ability to pay needs to be factored in. But not to the absurd scale it is now.

I think every taxpayer should just get a bill for their share of government expenses, federal, state, local. Nothing based on income or wealth. We can account for inability to pay by allowing people to file for exemptions of various amounts.

There are ~160 million tax payers. On the federal level, using the formula of 1/10th average taxpayer income, the max US budget should be no greater than $1.2 trillion. If government wants to grow, they better help tax payers **** money.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Agreed. If government is too expensive for ordinary citizens to afford, that's an indicator it's do taking too much.
    FIFY
    At a national level, if we divided the annual budget by the number of taxpayers, we'd each owe ~$37,500. Only 45% of American taxpayers earn more than that. Our federal government is clearly too big for average Americans. The annual budget is > $6 trillion. The IRS collects ~ $5.5 trillion.
    And they spend way more than the budget.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is really just an update to my "put your money where your mouth is" tax plan. It's expanded to all levels of governments, and added a cap based on the average American's ability to pay. There's no tax deductions, your bill is cost of government/number of taxpayers + individual uses of government. For example, you'd still pay fees for various individual uses of government.

Of course people can file for financial hardship exemptions. Cost of government should not financially ruin people. I've also modified the PYMWYMI tax plan to be capped at average American's ability to pay.

The PYMWYMI aspect is still there. If you want government to do things ordinary citizens can't afford, you still get to write your check for more than you owe, and write in what you want your money to pay for. So if Mike thinks drainage is not up to snuff with what citizens can afford, he can write a check to help pay for upgrading it. If you want a military bigger than you can afford, add that to your base bill. Make government beg you to be bigger.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think instead of a debt limit, we should set a cap of what government can spend to a reasonable percentage of the average income per tax payer. Say, 1/10th. Average income per taxpayer is ~$70K/year. So that's an average burden for American's to be $7.5K/year. Of course ability to pay needs to be factored in. But not to the absurd scale it is now.
    This may just be your best idea ever, and should work at all levels…

Top Bottom